Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein sources other than shakes

I've seen a lot of threads about different types of Protein powders, shakes, etc, but haven't come across one yet for ways to pack in the Protein in other forms, so I figured I'd start one. :)

I'm only a few weeks out so my diet is still limited, but so far the things I've found are:

Oikos greek yogurt 110 cal, 0 fat, 15g protein! It's kinda sour, so I usually add some Bear Naked Protein granola.

Bear Naked Protein Granola: 140 cal, 7g fat, 5g protein

Kashi Go Lean High Protein & High Fiber cereal: 140 cal, 1g fat, 13g protein

Special K Protein Plus: 100 cal, 3g fat, 10g protein

Carbmaster yogurt: 80 cal, 4g carbs, 12 g protein (i can only find this at Smith's, so i'm not sure if that's true of everywhere, or just here)

Frigo Light String Cheese: 60 cal, 8g protein 1g carbs

I'd love to hear what other products people have found. I'm not a huge fan of the shakes, so as my diet progresses, I'd like to add a wider variety of protein options instead of going back to shakes. Right now, my favorites are yogurt and granola or Cereal with milk. Since skim milk has 8-9g protein (depending on the brand) I can easily get at least 18g in one quick meal. :ohmy:

tuna fish is a quick Protein fix.

I also add Protein powder to Jello SF/FF pudding, so 1/2 cup is about 115 calories, 10 g Protein & 1.5g fat(1% milk.

Be sure to read the labels on low fat/fat free products, as the sugar content is often quite high.

if you don't have any sort of cholesterol problems I'd recommend eggs as well.

I'm on soft foods and one of my favorite treats is to hard boil 2 eggs, mash em, and whip it up with a bit of mustard, and lite mayo/miracle whip.

omelets with a bit of low fat cheddar inside has been good to me as well.

tuna fish is good.

cheese is good, as long as you don't overdo it, and try to stay with low-fat cheeses.

You can only find CarbMaster yogurt at Smith's because it is a Kroger brand. Kroger owns Smith's, King Sooper, Fred Meyer, Fry's, Ralph's (except in certain areas) Kroger's (obviously!) and just about a dozen others. I am not as familiar with the ones in the east. I live in Arizona and we have Fry's. Oh yeah, and I work there. :w00t: LOL

It is actually pretty good yogurt... I am eating one now so I felt compelled to post!

My fav Protein snack is Fage total 0% greek yogurt. You can mix anything in with it and it will take on that flavor. By itself it taste like sour cream, so I will use it as dipping for chicken, etc to boost the Protein even more. Mixed with sweets, tastes delicious. My new fav is 1/2 cup greek yogurt with 1 tbsp reduced fat PB - so good!! Also, if you mix a ranch dip powder with it, you can use it to dip veggies in and you're getting your protein and veggies. I'm in love with it!

On a side note, I tried carbmasters from Krogers on post op day 2 and it sent me into dry heaves...I think I'm sensitive if there's too much artificial sweetener

I am *so* not a Protein shake kind of girl....ick. But, I have fallen in love with Protein smoothies. :-) I use:

*EAS vanilla Soy Protein Powder (has 170 calories/20g protein in 1 scoop)

*4 oz. FF milk (45 calories/4g protein)

*1 ice cube (or more, depending on how thick I want the smoothie to be)

*1/2 frozen banana (@50 calories)

*1/4 c. frozen whole strawberries (@12 calories)

*1/4 c. frozen pineapple chunks (@24 calories)

I mix up the fruit often to change the flavor. But the trick to me has been the FF milk, it seems to absorb the texture/flavor of the protein powder so that I don't notice. :-)

My other quick faves: 4 oz. containers 2% cottage cheese. tuna. Salmon. Special K Protein Water (or powder). eggs.

~Sonia