Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico anyone?? I have a surgey date.

I currently have a surgery date for Sept. I am taking a leap of faith, but it feels right. My gut tells me this will be fine. I live 2hrs away from the border and am not really concerned about the travel.

Can anyone give me any feedback? Most friends and family say "go for it". Then there are the few that say "Meixco---no way!"

I am going to see Dr Ortiz, he appears top notch as well as the facility. Any recent patients out there who can give me more insite?

Good Lord, I have so many butterflies in my hopefully soon to be gone tummy!!!:ohmy:

OMG I felt the same way. It truly was a leap of faith for me too but luckily, I knew three other people who went to the surgeon I went to. I live in Corona, CA. not too far from you. My husband and I drove to Mexicali for my surgery (about a 3 hour drive). Once I arrived at the hospital and met my surgeon all my fears left me. I had Dr. Alberto Aceves. He was awesome. I have twice returned there for my fills. I had a couple of family members try to talk me out of going to Mexico so I decided not to tell anybody else until after it was done. Surprisingly, everybody was really supportive after the fact.

Good luck to you!

Donna

Stacy;

Generally, I would be opposed to having a LB installed outside of the country, or even outside of your own geographical area. There are many things to consider, particularly the aftercare. Many US Doctors will NOT provide aftercare to patients that are banded outside of the country.

I also feel that it's very important that you be within a reasonable proximity to the facility and Surgeon that performed your procedure, in the event that there is a problem of some sort. Also, there is the issue of liability in the event that is a problem....it's hard to go after an out-of-country Doctor if something goes wrong. Finally, there is the increasing incidence of violence along the Border cities with Mexico. Those are just a few of the reaons to re-think the idea of going to MX for surgery. Note that there are SOME Drs here in the US that are lowering their rates to attract additional patients....the economy is hitting even the WLS industry!

I have not thoroughly investigated this, but I HAVE heard that many good surgeons here in the L.A. area are reducing their rates to compete with the mexican surgeons. It's worth spending some time looking into. One guy told me that a surgeon here reduced his rate dramatically when he told him that he was too expensive and that he was going to mexico.

So, I would most certainly try looking at Surgeons here first.

When I had my band installed, I also considered the option of going to Mexico, as I am a couple of hours from the Border as well. But, after researching I decided that it would be better to be CLOSER to the Doctor that put the band in, in the event of problems. But that was just my choice at the time. I STILL wouldn't feel comfortable having a National Border between me and my Doctor.

Now, having said all that, there IS another side to the issue, and I would refer you to WasaBubbleButt here on this forum. She had her surgery (Both of them) performed in Mexico, and she is probably the resident authority on the subject here. She has some excellent information that will help you make the choice, and if you choose to go to mexico, she will know WHO you should be seeing there for your surgery. She's terrific, and a great source of information.

She is a member here, BUT she spends more time these days over on the "sleeve" forum (www.verticalsleevetalk.com) where she WAS a moderator. I cannot overemphasize the quality of information that she has, so I would highly recommend that you PM her....she's always glad to help!

Here is a Link to a discussion she put together on choosing a Mexican Surgeon. It has details in it that you won't find ANYWHERE else, so you really need to read it all.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f11/researching-mexican-lap-band-surgeons-101-a-66635/

So, regardless of what your choice is, best of luck to you in your selection and your eventual surgery!

HH

Edited by Headhunter

I believe the OP has already made her decision to have her surgery in Mexico and is trying to connect with people who have shared the same experience to ease her nerves. I think the last thing she needs is some nanny negative, whom I might add knows nothing about surgery in Mexico, trying to scare her from going to Mexico.

Quote Headhunter:

Many US Doctors will NOT provide aftercare to patients that are banded outside of the country. THERE ARE MANY DOCTORS THAT DO PROVIDE FOLLOW-UP CARE TO PATIENTS BANDED IN MEXICO. I AM ONE OF THOSE PATIENTS.

I also feel that it's very important that you be within a reasonable proximity to the facility and Surgeon that performed your procedure, in the event that there is a problem of some sort. SHE ALREADY SAID SHE IS ONLY 2 HOURS AWAY!

Finally, there is the increasing incidence of violence along the Border cities with Mexico. Those are just a few of the reaons to re-think the idea of going to MX for surgery. REALLY??? SHOW ME JUST ONE INCIDENT OF THIS HAPPENING IN MEXICALI.

Now, having said all that, there IS another side to the issue, and I would refer you to WasaBubbleButt here on this forum. She had her surgery (Both of them) performed in Mexico, and she is probably the resident authority on the subject here. ??? WHO APPOINTED HER AS RESIDENT AUTHORITY? THERE ARE MANY OTHERS ON THIS SITE WHO HAVE GONE TO MEXICO FOR SURGERY.

HEADHUNTER

Quit stalking me on this forum and move on to your next victim.

Edited by FailureIsntAnOption

I believe the OP has already made her decision to have her surgery in Mexico and is trying to connect with people who have shared the same experience to ease her nerves. I think the last thing she needs is some nanny negative, whom I might add knows nothing about surgery in Mexico, trying to scare her from going to Mexico.

Quote Headhunter:

Many US Doctors will NOT provide aftercare to patients that are banded outside of the country. THERE ARE MANY DOCTORS THAT DO PROVIDE FOLLOW-UP CARE TO PATIENTS BANDED IN MEXICO. I AM ONE OF THOSE PATIENTS.

I also feel that it's very important that you be within a reasonable proximity to the facility and Surgeon that performed your procedure, in the event that there is a problem of some sort. SHE ALREADY SAID SHE IS ONLY 2 HOURS AWAY!

Finally, there is the increasing incidence of violence along the Border cities with Mexico. Those are just a few of the reaons to re-think the idea of going to MX for surgery. REALLY??? SHOW ME JUST ONE INCIDENT OF THIS HAPPENING IN MEXICALI.

Now, having said all that, there IS another side to the issue, and I would refer you to WasaBubbleButt here on this forum. She had her surgery (Both of them) performed in Mexico, and she is probably the resident authority on the subject here. ??? WHO APPOINTED HER AS RESIDENT AUTHORITY? THERE ARE MANY OTHERS ON THIS SITE WHO HAVE GONE TO MEXICO FOR SURGERY.

HEADHUNTER

Quit stalking me on this forum and move on to your next victim.

WHY do you continually insist on making everything about YOU? What in the hell is your problem?

My post had NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with YOU. NOTHING. NADA. ZIP. I didn’t even MENTION you. OR your POST. But you think the whole world is talking to YOU.

I have commented frequently in situations where people are considering traveling outside the country, and will continue to do so.

Let me point out a couple of things, and as always, for YOUR benefit I will avoid any large words:

Stacy Said: Can anyone give me any feedback? Most friends and family say "go for it". Then there are the few that say "Mexico---no way!"

And I am doing JUST THAT, Cupcake. GIVING FEEDBACK. Got that? She asked…I gave. YOU were not involved. Not at ANY POINT were YOU involved in my message to her. She ASKED FOR FEEDBACK. But….”feedback” consists of more than one syllable….I guess that’s what confused you.

“Many US Doctors will NOT provide aftercare to patients that are banded outside of the country. THERE ARE MANY DOCTORS THAT DO PROVIDE FOLLOW-UP CARE TO PATIENTS BANDED IN MEXICO. I AM ONE OF THOSE PATIENTS.”

I didn’t say you WEREN’T. Again….why do you make EVERYTHING about YOU?

Get over your freakin’ self.

But I repeat: many Doctors do NOT. Fact, not My OPINION. If YOU found one that does, give Stacy his number, and then Shut UP. There’s nothing else you need to say.

“REALLY??? SHOW ME JUST ONE INCIDENT OF THIS HAPPENING IN MEXICALI.”

I’m sorry, but I don’t keep my Almanac of Mexican Violence handy at all times. And besides…I didn’t say anything remotely close to there being “Violence in Mexicali”, Did I? I merely said that there is increasing violence along the Border towns in Mexico. And that’s fact, whether YOU like it or not. When leaving the Country ANY responsible person needs to be AWARE of this….regardless of where they are going in Mexico.

I also feel that it's very important that you be within a reasonable proximity to the facility and Surgeon that performed your procedure, in the event that there is a problem of some sort. SHE ALREADY SAID SHE IS ONLY 2 HOURS AWAY!”

She is across a NATIONAL BORDER from Mexico. Do you not understand that Mexico and the US are two entirely different countries? Jeez. Do you NOT understand that a theoretical “2 hours” does NOT mean a REAL 2 hours in the event of an EMERGENCY? I live two hours from Tijuana. But guess what, here’s a news flash for ya:: Sometimes it take 4 hours to get there….and 8 hours to get back. Anyone who is making this choice HAS to at least take that into consideration. Any REASONABLE, INTELLIGENT person, that is. But..well..uh….we’re talking about you here, so I guess THAT flies right out the window….

WHO APPOINTED HER AS RESIDENT AUTHORITY. THERE ARE MANY OTHERS ON THIS SITE WHO HAVE GONE TO MEXICO FOR SURGERY.”

HaHa. I’m gonna tell her you said that. She’s one of the more respected members of this forum, and she has provided more information, guidance, and assistance to people here than almost anyone else. She’s had TWO surgeries in Mexico, and there is NO ONE more qualified to dispense info on researching the Topic than her. She is THE person that most everyone with any experience here refers others to on this subject. But….I guess you’re more qualified. ROFLMAO!

Quit stalking me on this forum and move on to your next victim.”

Stalking you??? What in the hell are you babbling about?

I wouldn’t follow YOU around if you were dropping gold nuggets out of your ass.

Incidentally, I’m glad you changed your screen name here. Using “Failure” as part of your name is much more appropriately descriptive than the other one.

ATTN MODS: Again,…I didn’t start this one. I simply responded to a thread on the same subject that I have spoken on before, and “Failure” seems to want to make it all about “her”.

Edited by Headhunter

WHY do you continually insist on making everything about YOU? What in the hell is your problem?

My post had NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with YOU. NOTHING. NADA. ZIP. I didn’t even MENTION you. OR your POST. But you think the whole world is talking to YOU.

I have commented frequently in situations where people are considering traveling outside the country, and will continue to do so.

Let me point out a couple of things, and as always, for YOUR benefit I will avoid any large words:

Stacy Said: Can anyone give me any feedback? Most friends and family say "go for it". Then there are the few that say "Mexico---no way!"

And I am doing JUST THAT, Cupcake. GIVING FEEDBACK. Got that? She asked…I gave. YOU were not involved. Not at ANY POINT were YOU involved in my message to her. She ASKED FOR FEEDBACK. But….”feedback” consists of more than one syllable….I guess that’s what confused you.

“Many US Doctors will NOT provide aftercare to patients that are banded outside of the country. THERE ARE MANY DOCTORS THAT DO PROVIDE FOLLOW-UP CARE TO PATIENTS BANDED IN Mexico. I AM ONE OF THOSE PATIENTS.”

But I repeat: many Doctors do NOT. Fact, not My OPINION. If YOU found one that does, give Stacy his number, and then Shut UP. There’s nothing else you need to say.

I’m sorry, but I don’t keep my Almanac of Mexican Violence handy at all times. And besides…I didn’t say anything remotely close to there being “Violence in Mexicali”, Did I? I merely said that there is increasing violence along the Border towns in Mexico. And that’s fact, whether YOU like it or not. When leaving the Country ANY responsible person needs to be AWARE of this….regardless of where they are going in Mexico.

I also feel that it's very important that you be within a reasonable proximity to the facility and Surgeon that performed your procedure, in the event that there is a problem of some sort. SHE ALREADY SAID SHE IS ONLY 2 HOURS AWAY!”

She is across a NATIONAL BORDER from Mexico. Do you not understand that Mexico and the US are two entirely different countries? Jeez. Do you NOT understand that a theoretical “2 hours” does NOT mean a REAL 2 hours in the event of an EMERGENCY? I live two hours from Tijuana. But guess what, here’s a news flash for ya:: Sometimes it take 4 hours to get there….and 8 hours to get back. Anyone who is making this choice HAS to at least take that into consideration. Any REASONABLE, INTELLIGENT person, that is. But..well..uh….we’re talking about you here, so I guess THAT flies right out the window….

WHO APPOINTED HER AS RESIDENT AUTHORITY. THERE ARE MANY OTHERS ON THIS SITE WHO HAVE GONE TO MEXICO FOR SURGERY.”

HaHa. I’m gonna tell her you said that. She’s one of the more respected members of this forum, and she has provided more information, guidance, and assistance to people here than almost anyone else. She’s had TWO surgeries in Mexico, and there is NO ONE more qualified to dispense info on researching the Topic than her. She is THE person that most everyone with any experience here refers others to on this subject. But….I guess you’re more qualified. ROFLMAO!

Incidentally, I’m glad you changed your screen name here. Using “Failure” as part of your name is much more appropriately descriptive than the other one.

ATTN MODS: Again,…I didn’t start this one. I simply responded to a thread on the same subject that I have spoken on before, and “Failure” seems to want to make it all about “her”.

Good Lord! A class act you are NOT! Sitting behind a computer and calling people names makes you ridiculously pathetic and small minded where I come from. Quit acting like a child and be a man!

With a computer and the web at your finger tips, why would you need an almanac at all? I guess I stumped you on that one huh Smarty Pants? :wink:

Edited by FailureIsntAnOption

A class act you are NOT! Sitting behind a computer and calling people names makes you ridiculously pathetic and small minded where I come from.

With a computer and the web at your finger tips, why would you need an almanac at all? I guess I stumped you on that one huh Smarty Pants? :wink:

HH is kinda right and kinda wrong about border towns. The US gov't is not warning about ALL of them, just specific cities. Tijuana and Juarez are two of the most dangerous cities in the world right now. Mexicali is fine.

You know what kills me is that the TJ doctors have body guards. Who is guarding their patients?

“Many US Doctors will NOT provide aftercare to patients that are banded outside of the country. THERE ARE MANY DOCTORS THAT DO PROVIDE FOLLOW-UP CARE TO PATIENTS BANDED IN Mexico. I AM ONE OF THOSE PATIENTS.”

Gold nuggets? ;o)))))) <snark>

Hey! When are you going to call me?? (Hands on hips, stern look, giving HH the evil eye...)

Hey! When are you going to call me?? (Hands on hips, stern look, giving HH the evil eye...)

He's got a hot date with me, BethinVA, 2 monkeys, Richard Simmons and a spa tub in Tucson. You're just going to have to wait your turn. :wink:

Good Lord! A class act you are NOT! Sitting behind a computer and calling people names makes you ridiculously pathetic and small minded where I come from. Quit acting like a child and be a man!

With a computer and the web at your finger tips, why would you need an almanac at all? I guess I stumped you on that one huh Smarty Pants? :crying:

Well now.

Just an observation, but you’ve edited your reply to me THREE times in the last hour. Did you keep dropping the dictionary or something?

Good Lord! A class act you are NOT!”

Now, considering a “class act” in YOUR neck of the woods would include a pair of overalls, wooden teeth, and a kitchen meth lab, I think I’m doing just fine, thank you.

One other little point I need some clarification on. The OP said she was going to see Dr. Ortiz, who is in Tijuana.

I made my post, and you came and babbled: “REALLY??? SHOW ME JUST ONE INCIDENT OF THIS HAPPENING IN MEXICALI.”

You see, I’m just curious how you made that connection. The OP says Ortiz (in Tijuana). And you barf out “Mexicali”. We weren’t talking about Mexicali. We were talking about Tijuana.< /span>

You know,….You’re really good geographically. Most people would kind of keep Tijuana and Mexicali separate, because they ARE, actually, separate places. But you managed to combine them into one place. That’s really unique and special, how you’re able to do that. Two places. Combined into one. All within the confines of your tiny little brain. Amazing.

Sitting behind a computer and calling people names makes you ridiculously pathetic and small minded where I come from”

“where I come from” Please see above. Wooden teeth and Meth Labs. Toss in being nearly the foreclosure capital of the Planet, and you’ve got a place that no one really wants to be. And adding YOU into that mix makes it just that much LESS desirable. Unless you like Meth. And wooden teeth.

“With a computer and the web at your finger tips, why would you need an almanac at all?

Oh, but I LIKE Almanacs. It involves a heretofore-unknown-by-you skill called “reading”. Life isn’t all about computers, cupcake. I know they make it really easy for you, because they can show everything in bright, colorful PICTURES, and you don’t really have to know HOW to READ, but there is life beyond the Monitor. However, Google is probably a good thing for you. Especially Google MAPS. Use it. It will show you that Mexicali and Tijuana are geographically distinct locations.

Hmmm… I think we covered that already.

“I guess I stumped you on that one huh smarty pants?”

Smarty Pants.

SMARTY PANTS?

Is that some kind of a comeback or something? Is that one of those razor-sharp, lightning-powered “zingers” you are so well known for?

Yup. I thought so.

Oh, and one final comment regarding your new username here at LBT.

“FailureisntAnOption”.

I have given it some thought, and I must inform you that this is incorrect for you.

For YOU, Failure ISN’T an option.

It’s standard Equipment.

:wink:

HH

Gold nuggets? ;o)))))) <snark>

Uh, Oh.....

I'm in deep yogurt now.

I've seen that look before....I better call her.....:wink:

HH is kinda right and kinda wrong about border towns. The US gov't is not warning about ALL of them, just specific cities. Tijuana and Juarez are two of the most dangerous cities in the world right now. Mexicali is fine.

You know what kills me is that the TJ doctors have body guards. Who is guarding their patients?

Yep, Wasa's right. Mexicali isn't that bad, been there a few times. But Tijuana is a toilet. It is WAY more dangerous now than it was even a couple of years ago. Tijuana has NEVER been especially safe, but it has now pretty much turned into Baghdad on a bad Day.

HH

He's got a hot date with me, BethinVA, 2 monkeys, Richard Simmons and a spa tub in Tucson. You're just going to have to wait your turn. :crying:

TWO monkeys now???? you want TWO monkeys???

darn, I'll have to pick up another crate of Bananas....

:wink:

HH

A girl's got needs.

Well now.

Just an observation, but you’ve edited your reply to me THREE times in the last hour. Did you keep dropping the dictionary or something? Is that the best you can come back with? So what!

Good Lord! A class act you are NOT!”

Now, considering a “class act” in YOUR neck of the woods would include a pair of overalls, wooden teeth, and a kitchen meth lab, I think I’m doing just fine, thank you. There you go again assuming and making an ass of yourself.

One other little point I need some clarification on. The OP said she was going to see Dr. Ortiz, who is in Tijuana.

I made my post, and you came and babbled: “REALLY??? SHOW ME JUST ONE INCIDENT OF THIS HAPPENING IN MEXICALI.” You said Mexico, didn't specify where did ya!

You see, I’m just curious how you made that connection. The OP says Ortiz (in Tijuana). And you barf out “Mexicali”. We weren’t talking about Mexicali. We were talking about Tijuana.< /span>

Just pointing out you need to get your facts straight before babbling on with things that are not factual.

You know,….You’re really good geographically. Most people would kind of keep Tijuana and Mexicali separate, because they ARE, actually, separate places. But you managed to combine them into one place. That’s really unique and special, how you’re able to do that. Two places. Combined into one. All within the confines of your tiny little brain. Amazing. Once again showing you lack any class at all. What a gentlemen. Ladies, look out for this guy!

Sitting behind a computer and calling people names makes you ridiculously pathetic and small minded where I come from” Yes it does!

“where I come from” Please see above. Wooden teeth and Meth Labs. Toss in being nearly the foreclosure capital of the Planet, and you’ve got a place that no one really wants to be. And adding YOU into that mix makes it just that much LESS desirable. Unless you like Meth. And wooden teeth. I've already addressed this above. Besides, wooden teeth????? come on, even you should no wooden teeth aren't used anymore.

“With a computer and the web at your finger tips, why would you need an almanac at all?

Oh, but I LIKE Almanacs. It involves a heretofore-unknown-by-you skill called “reading”. Life isn’t all about computers, cupcake. I know they make it really easy for you, because they can show everything in bright, colorful PICTURES, and you don’t really have to know HOW to READ, but there is life beyond the Monitor. However, Google is probably a good thing for you. Especially Google MAPS. Use it. It will show you that Mexicali and Tijuana are geographically distiocations.

Hmmm.....Yes life is all about computers ass****

Hmmm… I think we covered that already. Yep but feel free to continue..............I'm actually enjoying this.

“I guess I stumped you on that one huh Smarty Pants? ”

Smarty Pants.

SMARTY PANTS? Your right, I should have used a more suitable adjective

Is that some kind of a comeback or something? Is that one of those razor-sharp, lightning-powered “zingers” you are so well known for? Perhaps!!!!! You'll never know big boy.

Yup. I thought so.

Oh, and one final comment regarding your new username here at LBT.

“FailureisntAnOption”. For me it isn't but it's a way of life for you.

I have given it some thought, and I must inform you that this is incorrect for you.

For YOU, Failure ISN’T an option.

It’s standard Equipment. Why don't we focus on your standard equipment for just a moment presuming you have working equipment, which I doubt!

HH

:wink2: Bring it on!