Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cooking fans... please help (vegetables)

I am on my pre-op diet at the moment; I can have 3 x Protein Shakes plus two cups of low starch vegetables a day (tomato, lettuce, zuchinni, eggplant, cauliflower, broccoli, carrot, mushroom, peppers, etc)

In addition to this I can use a teaspoon of olive oil, herbs/spices, garlic, chili, Tomato paste, soy sauce in cooking.

My issue is that I am not a very experienced cook when it comes to experimenting and I don't know how to do ANYTHING with my vegies other than to stir-fry them in garlic and soy sauce. This is getting old, very fast.

Can anyone share with me any ideas or tips for what I can do during this stage to make the vegetables more appealing?

If you look on the internet they have plenty of recipes for eggplant. After surgery all i wanted was dip..do not know why?

Eggplant Dip

Prick the eggplant with a fork all over, and bake at 350 till it gets mushy.

When cooled down, remove (peel by hand) the skin. I remove the seeds (even before the surgery).

Put it in a food processor until it has the consistancy that you can eat.

I add apple cider vinager at the last pulse of the processor.

I have also mixed thin sliced fresh scallons once in the bowl. The bright pieces are lovely but I can not eat it.

Some people add hard eggs but it tastes better to me without it.

Some folks add red pepper.

Sephardic Spanish Dip (recipe updated to easy ways but passed on thru my friends grandmother)

One box of frozen spinach..defrosted and then excess Water removed

In Cussinart add one or two shallots,pulse

then add a couple of hard boiled eggs, pulse

then add the spinach. pulse and add some mayo if you need it moist or plain olive oil

then check for any spices that you might want aka salt and pepper if you like it that way

put in frig to get cold and yum away

Greek Yogart Dip

Plain yogart that is mixed with chopped garlic, diced parsley or dill (depending on what you like ) me dill and then fresh lemon juice....mix well...leave in frig overnight and the longer it stays in frig the deeper the garlic taste..yum yum drooling as I am writing this

chocolate dip or pudding..the same

portion of plain yogart

then ad one scoop of powdered Protein shake

blend by hand very well

then eat...eat..or one of your kids will finish it happily for you

After the surgery to make my life easier..I used vegetable baby food...small portion and then added seasoning..very yummy

Carrots once steamed or boiled in Water

mash or put into a processor

at this time a magic bullet would be great..cvs has a clone that is cheap

you can then add cinnamin or some brown sugar, or stevia, or splenda or diet maple sryup or any package flavoring.

Lobster Sauce with veggies

If you love the shrimp with lobster sauce you will love this :thumbup: and easy and cheap

Go to your favorite chinese restaurant and ask for lobster sauce they will sell it to you and it has the carrots and green Beans already in it, you can add more veggie that you have cooked soft if you want more

BUT when you reheat.. you must reheat at a very low heat or else it seperates. drooling...yum yum

You will have plenty of extra ...so you can save for over soft fish or give the rest to your DH who is drooling.. let him have the rice...I do not get the rice but do what you want

My favorite restaurant (can be takeout) puts some egg in it.

yum yum yum yum yum yum

this is an excellent when you are going crazy.

I cook the veggies in V-8 and then eat. You can also add herbs if needed :mad:

Yummy sauce for veggies

ketchup

some soy sauce (I use liquid aminos that I get at the health food store)

some minced ginger or liquid (which I get at health food store)

Add to small pan and heat...the flavors will blend...it is wonderful

Enjoy :w00t:

If it is Yummy it is in my tummy :)

Edited by jollygreen1955