Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September 2009 Band Date

I haven't been checking my blood sugars since technically, I don't have diabetes. Well I check it and it was 58. I think this may be my problem so I called my LAP-BAND®® physicians and asked if I have something sweet cause I know that's dangerous. At first they didn't want to answer but their nurse called back and told me to get some juice or a piece of candy. My regular physican has yet to call.:mad:

Are you still on liquids? If so it doesn't hurt to have 100% juice at times(No sugar added). Just if you feel bad, check your BS and if low drink some juice. Have you heard from your PCP? I am a nurse so if you have any questions, let me know.:biggrin:

Hang in there everyone is different. But try not to give up on the walking, you really need it!

I agree! Keep moving! It's good for you.

I was banded the 22nd. Still having quite a bit of pain lotsof gas, the dr told me i could take gas x. Im having a hard time getting anything down including Water any one have any suggestions.

I know, it was hard for me as well, just continuously sip on something so you want get dehydrated. Have you tried SF popsicles? Those really helped me.:mad:

OK so at my post-op appt the doctor said I could move on to regular foods and I have been doing good, until tonight. I was eating some chicken that I had boiled so it was nice and tender, I also had bell pepper and onions in it. Well i guess I was not eating slow enough but I had a pepper and it got stuck and let me tell you that is the worst feeling. TMI but they are not lying about the foam that comes back up. It was nasty so after about 5-10 minutes it finally passed and I was able to finish my meal. Let's just say I really focused on chewing and eating more slowly. Moral of the story, we may not have restriction but things will still get stuck, so chew, chew, chew and eat slowly. Take care guys and remember me at your next meal so you will head my warning. Bye guys. Til tomorrow.:mad:

Hmm I have to find it... i got part skim ricotta and its 170 cals a half cup. i do love melted mozz though.

I need more practice with no drinking too getting better i end up catching myself thinking about it. What are you guys doing for exercise - i just walk home from work 1.5 miles. I used to ride my horse but i can't yet and now she is out of commission for longer than me.

I am starving too but you MUST not skip your stages your stomach has to heal. I was the LEAST hungry on the Protein Shakes if you can believe that. Unjury Protein only no other junk like sugars. which can make you hungry - read your label. Now that i have carbs in my life I am getting hungry again. no matter how little.

So i know you didn't get much guidance so maybe everyone can tell you what they were told.

I was on thin liquids for 10 day (that means they CAN be sipped thru a straw but should NOT be due to the gas).

Then I went to pureed food for 10 days (where I am now). Flakey fish can be forked mash (tilapia, sole). I am also allowed scrambled eggs on this stage, fat free refried Beans w/ melted cheese; thick Soups.

I did not need to take vicodin past 3 days. I did have the single incision done so maybe that is less pain. You should be going for your post op soon so you can check in with them. You don't have any fever do you? Check that and your incisions to make sure they aren't feeling or looking worse (what you can see if them).

You need to get the "Low-Fat" Ricotta, not part-skim. I was just at the store today and noticed the calorie difference!

I started exercising at 12 days post-op, hiking/running for 45 mins. I do it at least every other day, but would like to do more.

You can see what a difference exercise makes when you log your calories. I started using thedailyplate.com today (got sick of SparkPeople not having as many items in their calorie database). It said I consumed 1100 calories, but my "net" calories, after exercise, was 616! :mad:

That is a huge difference when you are already eating so few calories (compared to the old days I mean).

OK so at my post-op appt the doctor said I could move on to regular foods and I have been doing good, until tonight. I was eating some chicken that I had boiled so it was nice and tender, I also had bell pepper and onions in it. Well i guess I was not eating slow enough but I had a pepper and it got stuck and let me tell you that is the worst feeling. TMI but they are not lying about the foam that comes back up. It was nasty so after about 5-10 minutes it finally passed and I was able to finish my meal. Let's just say I really focused on chewing and eating more slowly. Moral of the story, we may not have restriction but things will still get stuck, so chew, chew, chew and eat slowly. Take care guys and remember me at your next meal so you will head my warning. Bye guys. Til tomorrow.:mad:

What are you supposed to do if you get stuck. They told me but I don't quite remember. I think they said wait it out... and then do warm liquids and to do liquids the rest of the day as well - does this sound like what they told you? I actually got some pain today (prestuck) and it took a while to pass but it did - this was on lemon sole flaked up but i ate too fast I think. Does the foam come up on its own or are you trying to bring it up? Did you panic? I am afraid of this! Glad you are ok!

You need to get the "Low-Fat" Ricotta, not part-skim. I was just at the store today and noticed the calorie difference!

I started exercising at 12 days post-op, hiking/running for 45 mins. I do it at least every other day, but would like to do more.

You can see what a difference exercise makes when you log your calories. I started using thedailyplate.com today (got sick of SparkPeople not having as many items in their calorie database). It said I consumed 1100 calories, but my "net" calories, after exercise, was 616! :biggrin:

That is a huge difference when you are already eating so few calories (compared to the old days I mean).

Yea normally I am riding twice a week (not as much as a like) and that is about 650 cals an hour. I can't imagine running though - i am a few lbs heavier than you at 222 but I am so not build to run. I'll end up with more sports injuries. Will be going to gym soon to do the elliptical trainer - and I am ready to ride but my horse is out of commission now.

Hi Everyone...

Congratulations to all who had, or are having, their bands done this month. I'm going to be having my surgery on October 13. Any words of advise? I've been on a Pre-Op diet for 2 weeks and my weight loss has fluctuated between 8 pounds and 5.5 pounds...I've been doing the Atkins diet but the weight doesn't seem to be coming off fast enough. I've only got 2 weeks to go to get the other 9 to 6 pounds off (depending upon where my fluctuation is)...I was told I needed to lose 5% of my body weight (278 to start)....Any suggestions for quick weight loss the last 2 weeks?

hey everyone. was banded yesterday. did well other than when they gave me morphine, it make me nauseated. so they gave me reglan and that seemed to help. not alot of gas. have 5 incisions and really there is only pain on the left. side. but trying to walk. keeping small amnts of Water down. very pleased so far.

OK so at my post-op appt the doctor said I could move on to regular foods and I have been doing good, until tonight. I was eating some chicken that I had boiled so it was nice and tender, I also had bell pepper and onions in it. Well i guess I was not eating slow enough but I had a pepper and it got stuck and let me tell you that is the worst feeling. TMI but they are not lying about the foam that comes back up. It was nasty so after about 5-10 minutes it finally passed and I was able to finish my meal. Let's just say I really focused on chewing and eating more slowly. Moral of the story, we may not have restriction but things will still get stuck, so chew, chew, chew and eat slowly. Take care guys and remember me at your next meal so you will head my warning. Bye guys. Til tomorrow.:scared2:

I'm so scared of this stage. I have always detested throwing up. It drains energy so I avoid. Stop drinking to avoid it. Well I'm glad its out of your way and you can stay focused cause I know you don't want that to happen again.

I have a bit of a gut and the doc gut right in the belly button area. Did it take anyone elses belly button region longer to heal? Amanda, no the pcp has yet to call.

I'm banded!! 9/23!!

I am doing pretty well...some pain and discomfort, but overall I think pretty well.

?? for those of you banded....I have major pain in my band area and stomach area after I drink Water or sip Soup or anything....I had the barium swallow yesterday and saw liquid go through no problem....is this just gas pain??

What are you supposed to do if you get stuck. They told me but I don't quite remember. I think they said wait it out... and then do warm liquids and to do liquids the rest of the day as well - does this sound like what they told you? I actually got some pain today (prestuck) and it took a while to pass but it did - this was on lemon sole flaked up but i ate too fast I think. Does the foam come up on its own or are you trying to bring it up? Did you panic? I am afraid of this! Glad you are ok!

I didn't throw up so I didn't have to do liquids the rest of the day and all I could do was wait it out. I have heard that papaya enzymes are good, I just didn't have any with me at the time. The foam comes up on its own. I didn't panic but it hurt like hell. I thought I was going to have to try and throw it up, but I didn't because it passed. Thank god. Sorry TMI. :scared2:

Hi Everyone...

Congratulations to all who had, or are having, their bands done this month. I'm going to be having my surgery on October 13. Any words of advise? I've been on a Pre-Op diet for 2 weeks and my weight loss has fluctuated between 8 pounds and 5.5 pounds...I've been doing the Atkins diet but the weight doesn't seem to be coming off fast enough. I've only got 2 weeks to go to get the other 9 to 6 pounds off (depending upon where my fluctuation is)...I was told I needed to lose 5% of my body weight (278 to start)....Any suggestions for quick weight loss the last 2 weeks?

Have you been exercising? Maybe try the liquid diet that most of us had to do which encorporates high Protein low carb like atkins. Protein Shakes and broth and SF Jello. Stuff like that. Exercise is important now and especially after. Good luck.:scared2:

I'm banded!! 9/23!!

I am doing pretty well...some pain and discomfort, but overall I think pretty well.

?? for those of you banded....I have major pain in my band area and stomach area after I drink Water or sip Soup or anything....I had the barium swallow yesterday and saw liquid go through no problem....is this just gas pain??

Yeah! probably, try to take smaller sips. Have you tried Gas-X? It really helped me. It will get better. Welcome to the banded side.

I'm banded!! 9/23!!

I havent had any site specific pain with the band. Just overall discomfort so far. The sugar free pop cycles really did help in the first day or two. They felt good on my stomach.