Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am just curious, for those of you saying your port is on the left or the right, how far to either side? Mine is pretty much in the middle above my belly button; a little more to the right but not far enough that it made one side hurt more than the other.

Edited by Jodi_620

I am just curious, for those of you saying your port is on the left or the right, how far to either side? Mine is pretty much in the middle above my belly botton; a little more to the right but not far enough that it made one side hurt more than the other.

Mine's between 1/3 to 1/2 of the way between my "side" and my "middle"....on the left.

Im a side and stomach sleeper. I think I waited at least 2 weeks to try and sleep on my right side. Then I slept on my back and right side for probably another 2 weeks. At 4 weeks I was brave enough to sleep on my left side and it was fine. I'm a little under 2 months out and I have no problem sleeping on my stomach at this point. For the first week after surgery I took pain meds before I went to bed to help me be able to sleep a little more comfortably. It helped a lot.

You know, the first night most people still have lingering effects of anesthesia, and most aren't really sore yet (you know how it takes muscles a while to realize you've strained them?) PLUS pressure helps control bleeding...

so unless you are really "fragile" feeling, sleeping on your side the first night (esp with a pillow to help "protect" and brace things) might be worth a try.

Mine's between 1/3 to 1/2 of the way between my "side" and my "middle"....on the left.

Now location of the port would probably be a big factor on how we could sleep. I couldn't lie flat because getting back up was too painful. I had to use my arms to pull myself up because the port was stitched into the ab muscles that I would normally use to sit up or roll over, those muscles were useless for a while. So I would get down and be like a turtle on its back. Having the port off to the side might have been easier...

I'm a side sleeper - can't sleep on my back. I slept on my side immediately after surgery. I did find putting a thin pillow across my stomach helped, especially cushioning the portal incision. I rolled with it from side to side at night, pressing against it really helped me turn over.QUOTE]

Bambam,

This is exactly what I did was support with a pillow, thank goodness it worked for me also, I am a left side sleeper but have been to both sides and my back since surgery, not really to bad.

~Carol

Now location of the port would probably be a big factor on how we could sleep. I couldn't lie flat because getting back up was too painful. I had to use my arms to pull myself up because the port was stitched into the ab muscles that I would normally use to sit up or roll over, those muscles were useless for a while. So I would get down and be like a turtle on its back. Having the port off to the side might have been easier...

I don't think that matters that much, honestly, because all my "entry and exit" wounds for the lap equip are midline...the band is midline, etc...What helped me was 1. I'm stubborn 2. I didn't want to sleep in my recliner and 3. I have a four poster metal-framed bed and that helped a lot getting up! :sneaky:

UPDATE:

I tried all the modifications for side sleeping and nothing works well for me. I definitely cannot sleep on my right side as that is where the port was placed.

Last night, I tossed and turned -my back is killing me and wakes me up. So, I tried sleeping on my left side.

It hurt like heck, but I tried to not give up.

The upper part of my stomach, where all of the incisions and port are felt like.. my guts were pushing the port. it hurt terribly.

My back is hurting so badly from sleeping on my back for 5 weeks.

Do you know if is possible to make the band or port come out of place from side sleeping?

UPDATE:

I tried all the modifications for side sleeping and nothing works well for me. I definitely cannot sleep on my right side as that is where the port was placed.

Last night, I tossed and turned -my back is killing me and wakes me up. So, I tried sleeping on my left side.

It hurt like heck, but I tried to not give up.

The upper part of my stomach, where all of the incisions and port are felt like.. my guts were pushing the port. it hurt terribly.

My back is hurting so badly from sleeping on my back for 5 weeks.

Do you know if is possible to make the band or port come out of place from side sleeping?

What does your doctor say about this. Lilke others here, I have had no problem sleeping on my side. Slept on my left side (non-port side) since the 1st night. Within 4 or 5 days I was able to sleep on my right side as well. Sometimes it was uncomfortable to change position but once in a position I felt fine.