Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery in April and I have only lost around 17 pounds. I don't feel like I know what to eat and I am scared to death that I am going to be the only person to not lose weight with this surgery. If anyone has any words of encouragement or food ideas, I would love it. I am a mom, teacher and wife and I am terrified of failing. :smile2:

Stay encouraged. I am a very slow loser too. I am only down 50 in over 10 months and believe me, I have felt like a failure at times. Ask advice from this website, there are many kind people to offer encouragement & advice.

If we had answers to some questions it would help to give you better advice.

About how much are you eating per meal?

How many meals per day(are you eating between meals)?

Are you hungry between meals?

Are you eating solid foods, lean Proteins etc.?

What is your approximate calorie intake per day?

Are you exercising?

I am eating 3 meals a day. I usually eat Cereal (1to 1 1/2 cups) or I eat eggs and turkey bacon. I really don't have a normal lunch in that I eat different things each day. My problem is WHAT to eat and how much. My doctor says to eat filling foods and mostly Protein but there is so little variety and I am not a cooker. I really think if I could get the food thing down things would improve. I still have a hard time not drinking too. Help! Am I a lost cause? ha ha

You definitely are not a failure. First step that will help is to journal your food intake daily. I use fitday.com, but there are many you can choose from. This will help you realize exactly what/how much you are eating each day. It should also give you a carb/fat/protein breakdown of your foods daily.

You say you often eat cereal for Breakfast. I LOVE cereal but for me it is a slider food and I can NOT lose weight when I eat it. Try journaling your food for a week and then report back on what you find out. You may be able to figure out what is going on by just doing that.

Good Breakfast choices for me are eggbeater omlets with different veggies, meats or cheeses to have variety or oatmeal cooked in milk for extra Protein. I agree with crzytchr, cold cereal does not keep me full for long either.

For lunch chili has lots of Protein or grill up some chicken breasts in a marinade (not overcooked or dry), or salmon patties or tuna. I cook extra and freeze it so that it is handy for lunch. Put it on a plate with some mayo, shredded lettuce and diced Tomato.

dinner is whatever I would normally have, a good lean protein, veggie, fruit.

How much you eat depends and is determined by restriction. I was told and always followed the rule of eating until I am satisfied. If I was eating too much then I needed a fill. Basically for weight loss, restriction that kept me at 3/4 - 1 cup of food was what worked for me. I never measured or journaled my food...that was too much like the old ways of dieting and does not work for me. But I can eye up around 1 cup and put it on a small bread plate.

At restriciton, 3/4-1 cup fills me up and keeps me satisfied until my next meal and the weight came off steady. When I find my self eating more or hungry between meals not losing or gaining then I know I need a fill.

My advice, find what works for you, get fills until you find your sweet spot and if journaling and calorie counting sounds like something you need go for it!

I am eating 3 meals a day. I usually eat cereal (1to 1 1/2 cups) or I eat eggs and turkey bacon. I really don't have a normal lunch in that I eat different things each day. My problem is WHAT to eat and how much. My doctor says to eat filling foods and mostly Protein but there is so little variety and I am not a cooker. I really think if I could get the food thing down things would improve. I still have a hard time not drinking too. Help! Am I a lost cause? ha ha

I would recomend looking up healthy receipes online and actually cooking. You mentioned you have children, what do they eat if you are not much of a cooker? Try eating 3 meals and no Snacks log your intake like mentioned by previous posters and drink your Water. Its fun to plan your menus and it doesnt take much longer than reading some posts on this forum lol!

I would recomend looking up healthy receipes online and actually cooking. You mentioned you have children, what do they eat if you are not much of a cooker? Try eating 3 meals and no Snacks log your intake like mentioned by previous posters and drink your Water. Its fun to plan your menus and it doesnt take much longer than reading some posts on this forum lol!

I aggree with looking up recipes online and trying them. I am surprised how much I am enjoying cooking new things, I never was much of a cook before because I am single and live alone so it was always so hard to cook for one.

sgreene--- I was discouraged too. I had surgery one month before you, actually the end of March 2009 so just about the same time. I didnt lose much until August when I finally got the fill I needed. I had 4 fills. I know how you feel. But I have lost a total of 24 pounds now. I think this is somewhat normal for some. Hang in there. Get the fill you need and stick to the general rules. I am learning just like you and you are definitely not alone!