Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does everyone 'slime' and have 'PB's?

My initial consultation with surgeon is soon. I have a lifetime phobia of vomiting, this could be a deal breaker for me, even if you don't heave. One of the reasons I decided against gastric bypass was the vomiting issues. Yes, I know the way to diminish it seems to be small bites, and chew, chew, chew. It's just a matter of time until you're a little distracted or in a hurry, and find your self in trouble.

I do need the surgery if I want to loose significant weight, a lifetime of dieting off and on has proven, at 57 yrs/old, that it's not going to happen on my own. How do you think I would do if I just gave up eating, only drinking Protein shakes? The vomiting, intense pain, embarrassment of being in public - I would never allow myself to eat in public just in case. Again, your opinion about Protein Shakes only. Thx.

If you are going to give up food and live the rest of your life on Protein shakes, then why get the band? I don't think that is something anyone would be happy with for a lifetime, with or without the band.

Once past the healing stage I was not allowed liquids and soft foods. My doctor said eating those foods defeats the whole purpose of having the band. solid food is what stays in your pouch and keeps you feeling full for a long time which is the key point of having the band. liquids pass through much faster leaving you hungry much sooner. Seems like a lot of money and extremes to go through if you are not going to use it to its full purpose.

I don't throw up with the band and I rarely PB. PB'ing is not the same as throwing up. You do not gag and heave when you PB, you do not expel stomach acid when you PB. You simply burp or cough up a little undigested food. It is not a projectile type thing and I would take PB'ing over vomiting any day. PB'ing happens if we eat too fast or eat too much.

Getting stuck is a little more uncomfortable. It is a pain in the middle of the chest that quickly teaches us to take smaller bites. But you can typically get it to go down without too much drama unless you really swallowed a huge mouthfull.

Sliming is most uncomfortable but something I have rarely done. It happens when you eat something that can't pass through the stoma. You should try new foods slowly to learn what might make you slime. Dried fruits and pills are two things that I have slimed on. If you do eat in public don't eat anything that you have not yet tried with the band.

I rarely PB or slime now that I've gotten used to having the band. Eating becomes a relearning process and once you get through the initial process it is no longer a constant worry, it becomes second nature to eat slowly and choose the right foods. I do still get stuck on occasion but mostly when I've allowed myself to get too hungry then I tend to eat too fast.

You definitely should not eat solids in public right away but once you get used to eating with the band you really should not have a problem.

I think your fooling yourself if you think you are only going to be drinking a liquid diet for the rest of your days. You can include it, but theres still going to be food out there that will tempt you. You know.. I have a friend that had the gastric bypass done.... And she like NEVER throws up unless she is sick with the flu or something like that, I never heard that about the gastric people... :huh2:hmm.. I just hear about the dumping thing if she eats too much sugary sweet stuff. Well, whatever you choose, good luck!:smile2:

You would not do very well only drinking Protein shakes and not eating. I don't think you could do it for very long. And even if you did, that's not how the band works. liquid is going to go right through and you are going to be starving all day. And I doubt you would even lose any weight. Most of those shakes have tons of calories, more than a meal. My doctor says no Protein Shakes at all. Most are just empty calories.

As the earlier posters said, PBing is not the same as throwing up. I have PBed a lot, mostly from eating too fast or not chewing. I will burp and it comes up, or I will get the hiccups and it will bring it up. Sliming is not the same as throwing up either. That usually happens when you don't chew good. You just get a lot of thick salava.

As for eating in public, if you feel like something is getting stuck, you can just excuse yourself to the bathroom. You aren't going to projectile vomit. Good luck!

Give up on eating for the rest of your life? If you were able to give up on eating, then you likely wouldn't be here in the first place. No way in hell you would be able to live on Protein Shakes for the rest of your life, sorry, but true. I have never gotten sick, never slimed, never thrown up, never PB'ed or anything. Follow directions, stick to your plan and eat well and chew well and you should be fine.

It's really not that big of a deal..maybe because at only 2 months out i haven't puked yet.. or pb'd...i have gotten stuck in public,but that passes quickly for me (30 seconds)...

I think eventually it happens to everyone. Because sooner or later, to get the last of your weight off, you have to move up to a level of restriction where its more likely to happen. And it IS only a matter of time before you're distracted, or whatever.

Firstly, its not that bad. Its nothing like when you're ill and vomit, there's no nausea, its a physical response and that's about it. I've never ever had it happen to me where I didnt have prior warning and could excuse myself, what I find happens more often is that I'm stuck, I need to get it up but it takes it own sweet time. Suddenly barfing at the dinner table doesnt happen.

I made it a little over a year before I had any significant episode and my DH has done similar. But sooner or later, it does happen. But its certainly not an everyday thing - maybe once every couple of months.

I consider it a small trade off for the weight loss I've had and not somethign that's ever caused me embarrassment or that anyone else has ever known about.

But it IS a part of banded life and you need to know that it will happen and accept that.

Protein shakes only? No, that wont work. You'd die of boredom, your hair will fall out, you'll be woefully malnourished, lacking in fibre, get some awful hormonal disease from overconsumption of soy based Proteins, the list could be endless.

It's truly more prudent to NOT drink the shakes. A conservative fill schedule and scrupulous practice on your part can minimize the chance of vomiting. However I agree that the odds are, at some point, it will happen. I'm shocked you've made it to your age and never had a stomach bug!

What I suggest is that you go to a behavioral therapist for help with your phobia. Anytime a phobia is stopping a person from living a full life, it needs to be addressed, and it sounds to me like you're there. I don't mean this at all unkindly, either. A good behaviorist can help you and you won't need to talk for hours about how your daddy never bought you a pony, or whatever, unless you want to. They'll just "fix it" with your help.

I don't like to vomit, I vomited about 4 times in my whole life before I got the band. However, PBing is not like vomiting and believe me, compared to the pain I felt in my chest when I had my bad "stuck" episode, I gladly vomited. I'd have rather faced down a tarantula (MY phobia) than had that misery continue. A little therapy will help you.

But don't proceed with the band until you can at least concede that while you may not enjoy it or seek it out, you will be able to get through an episode of PBing with your psyche intact. Because odds are it'll happen.

And I hate to tell you this but sometimes medical issues happen and people vomit back their own spit, let alone a shake or Protein drink. So even if you COULD live an "all liquid" life, it won't guarantee that nothing will come back out the "in" door.

RestlessMonkey has given you some good advice.

You know, it sounds like you're looking for an excuse to me. I'm only saying that because I did the same thing. Oh I cant stand doing xyz so I cant do this.

Well, Im in week 2 of pre opt liquid fun and I refuse to live the rest of my life on fluids...I WANT REAL FOOD..you never know what hunger is until you want to beat your coworker up for an avocado...(dont ask) I dont think liquids forever is a reality. So, look at your options and when you cant stand it anymore, you will have your answer on if you can do this or something else. Thats what it took for me anyways =D Best of luck.

I know what you mean. Liquids only was AWFUL!! I had to do it for 2 weeks and I thought I was going to lose my mind!

I do and I don't think everyone does. It happens when I

1) Eat other than a place where I am supposed to eat, ex. the computer or not at the table.

2) Eat when I haven't eaten in 4 hours.

3) Certain foods like fish and chicken have to be chewed and eaten very slowly and mindfully ...I have to work on this more..it's not easy if you are distracted or used to eating fast.

4) Eat foods that expand when digested such as breads, etc.

You will learn to live with the band and it will be worth it but it's not a cake walk trust me.. I am not a rule follower which is huge if you are going to get the LB and not want to do any of the above.

Remember that you won't have 100% restriction in the beginning though so it will be easier then get more difficult.