Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am being banded on 9/1/09 and I have never had any type of surgery before and I am a nervous wreck about it. I am 26 yrs old and people tell me that I should have no worries or problems, so could anyone who has already been banded tell me what to expect after surgery, pain levels? depression? complications? just anything that could let me know what i am getting into! Thanks

It's so very individual! I've had 3 surgeries (gallbladder and 2 lap bands) and each one was honestly a breeze. I came to quickly in recovery, had minimal pain, recovered quickly. That's sadly not true for everyone but it was for me.

IMHO the more you know about the band, the more you've mulled it over, the less likely you are to have depression. I guess that's true because I wanted the band for years...when I finally got it I honestly never had a moment's regret, sorrow, sadness, etc. Some do, though. Not me. I was ready for it.

I've never thought of food as a friend, however. In fact I aptly describe it as a hated master who kept me on a short leash. So the band has meant freedom to me, not loss.

People who feel differently, of course, have a different reaction!

While this surgery is a huge decision, to be honest the surgery isn't bad at all. When you go to the operating room they'll get you hooked up to different machines (they work fast you'll likely have 5 people or so working on you doing various jobs). Once they start your anesthesia (won't be long) you'll drift off to sleep.

When you wake up from surgery you'll be groggy. I can't stop shivering when I wake up - I think they said it is the anesthesia. I did have some nausea following surgery, but I didn't get sick. Ask for some ice chips as your mouth will be dry, but take them slow, I took them a bit too fast and it made the nausea worse briefly.

The recovery for me was pretty easy. I went home the following day. I had read where people suggested putting a pillow across your stomach for the ride home (to protect from the seatbelt). I used a pillow immediately out of surgery and slept with it every night for about 2 weeks - putting it across my stomach. It just kind of cushions the port incision (largest one) and makes it easier to sleep as I am a side sleeper. It also made rolling over at night easier.

I'm sure your surgery will go well. I really didn't have any jitters - I was SOOO ready to begin a healthy life. I have had no depression either. It was too exciting to see the scale going down. Do I miss being able to pig out on potato chips and donuts? Sometimes, but I'm enjoying my weight loss, shopping for smaller clothes, and my increased energy more than I miss those things.

Good luck!!! Keep us posted on how you are doing!

Edited by bambam

I had terrible jitters during the process of setting up the surgery.. now that I have my date.. August 11...I am calm.. you know, that calm you have when you are on the roller coaster and its too late to get off? LOL....

Linda

This was the best thing I have ever done for myself. All my life it has always been about everyone else but me. I got a divorce from a abusive man of 9 years. I went to the doctor and cried when he weighed me. He asked if I would like to see a wLs and I said yes. I was approved. Scared to death but studied everything I could about it. Surgery day I was not scared.I was so ready to start over with my life. I told them before that I got really sick after my last surgery. So they gave me everthing I needed to stop that before I even woke up. Congrats on your surgery. Just make sure to take your pain meds on time! And use a pillow on your port when you stand up and sit down. It helps so much..keep us updated.

Well, I don't mean to put a damper on things but my surgery itself was not without its complications. When I first woke up in recovery, I had major nausea. Even though I advised them in advance that I get that way and they put the stuff in my IV, it was really bad. I had been in recovery so long they finally put me in a ward just for patients that have not all the way recovered. I was there for about 3 or 4 hours while they gave me morphene and phenergan to try to stop the nausea. Finally, it stopped and they put me in my regular room. Then, it was fine until I got home. I kept getting sick, the sweats, the chills, it was bad. After a visit to my PCP and talking to the band surgeon, we figured out that I had stomach flu which was just horrible. Finally, after all that cleared, it was great. I got my first fill today and fell really, really good. It was so worth it even though I had the problems. Just wanted to give another perception about the surgery. But, now I am so glad I did it, I wouldn't have it any other way. Good Luck and let us know how you are doing.

Bigsmoove23, I am getting banded the day after you! Let's lets keep in touch! I would love to know how you are doing on your journey. Obviously, I haven't had my surgery yet but I am 27 and have had two major surgeries in the past, one this past March. The last was for a very large pilonidal cyst (a cyst in the tissue over your tailbone). The wound was left open after surgery and was about 7 inches long by 4 inches deep. It is still not entirely closed but is getting there. This surgery changed my life. I lived with so much pain from that cyst that I was willing to do anything to make it better. I feel the same way about the lap band. I am willing to go through a lot (though I don't expect it to be anything like the cyst) the results will be so worth any pain and annoyance. I have wanted this for so long and finally commited after my last surgery. I realized I don't have to be this fat miserable person anymore. Good luck to you and don't worry! You will do awesome!

Like others have said, each person has a different experience. For me, the surgery itself was a breeze but I've had over half a dozen very complicated surgeries in the past to compare it to. I wouldn't say I was in pain, more just a general discomfort/soreness for the first 2 days but was able to stopped taking narcotics the night of day 2. As with any surgery, there are always risks for complications, minor and serious ones, although those chances are minimal.

As far as the depression, I will admit that on my second day I had two episodes of dry heaving which was the worst pain I've felt, and for a second questioned what I got myself into. That quickly went away, and I have been very pleased with my decision. I think it's natural to wonder if you've made the right decision, as many of us have a relationship with food and now we're turning our back on that friendship in a way.

Best of luck to you!

I am a tad older than you, but other than a C-Section, I haven't had any other sugeries and none that they put you under anesthesia for. I think my only worry is the tube they put down your throat. Is it terribly painful for a while after?

Also, I am also going on September 1st. A great way to start the month! Here we go~

Michelle~

After all of my surgeries, my throat is usually a little sore from the the intubation tube, but nothing that I would describe as painful. The icechips in recovery helped.

Again, each person is different.

Surgery is Aug 17...I think of it this way...At least we get put to sleep. After having two c section while I was awake, i think this will be a breeze.

Thanks alot your information has helped ease my mind and I will defenitly keep you folks updated!

I was in the same boat as the OP albeit in my 30's. No prior surgeries. Honestly, the worst part for me was getting the IV which really wasn't that bad. The surgery itself is cake. They let you sleep through it. :)

Oh, and for me there was no "drifting" to sleep. My anesthesiologist asked me if I liked Las Vegas and when I said yes, I woke up after the surgery was over. As for nausea, many surgeons will give you something before surgery as they really don't want you throwing up or heaving after. My main discomfort after surgery was being dry the first few hours. I couldn't drink enough Water. Your surgeon will prescribe some liquid pain medication, but I'd be surprised if you use more than a few doses of the stuff.