Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Switching Surgeons HELP

Have any of you changed surgeons part way through?

I have done all the preop testing and nutritional requirement through one group.... HOWEVER they are NOT meeting my needs and very impersonal and 2.5 hours away. They have multiple surgeons so I don't know who will be doing my surgery, and anyone could do my fills...

I have just had this bad feeling in my gut. I want to get this done and the allure to them was the one stop shopping as far as pre-op etc. Now ..... do I want them doing the surgery? I can't get a hold of a knowledgeable person on the phone when I call it is simply a call center. I get tossed around from line to line, leave messages that don't get returned.

Now I have found an office that has 2 surgeons and a predictable staff, who by the way have been WONDERFUL on the phone addressing my concerns and answering any questions, they call me when they promise. I am much more comfortable knowing that if ANYTHING goes wrong or I have a complication I will be assisted ASAP. I believe I will have wonderful after care with them. All the information is readily available concerning all the staff involved. Unlike the other group.

My big question is how do I get the BAND MILL to release my records in a timely manner? I have an appt with the new office in one month. I will be faxing both offices my record release forms on Monday. I am afraid they will drag their feet, and my preop tests may have to be repeated and I am sure my insurance will not want to pay again.

Has anyone done this????

thanks in advance for any insight.

If I were you and REALLY worried about it I'd make a trip to the "band mill" to pick up my records. Call, get the office administrator, tell him/her you need them, have that person set a time to pick them up. (if the time isn't acceptable to you, negotiate) The day before, call to confirm they have them ready, then go get them.

If they balk remind them they are legally yours and you don't want to complain to your insurance company, the BBB, etc.

They'll release them

HOWEVER...before I did all the above rigamarole I'd ask the NEW place if they ever had to obtain records from "BANDMILL" and if so, was it problematic? Without being gossipy, complaining, etc...just straightforward. If they say "well, it can take up to a few months" or whatever that is polite-speak for yes it can be a problem and you know to resort to Plan B (getting them yourself) You may be assuming a problem that isn't there, you know, because you've felt shuffled. They may release records quickly; find out before you get riled up! :) Good luck.

Edited by RestlessMonkey

I wanted to add....GOOD FOR YOU changing. I am sure it's a pain in the neck but you'd never be happy, have trouble with aftercare, etc. WTG!

If I were you and REALLY worried about it I'd make a trip to the "band mill" to pick up my records. Call, get the office administrator, tell him/her you need them, have that person set a time to pick them up. (if the time isn't acceptable to you, negotiate) The day before, call to confirm they have them ready, then go get them.

If they balk remind them they are legally yours and you don't want to complain to your insurance company, the BBB, etc.

They'll release them

HOWEVER...before I did all the above rigamarole I'd ask the NEW place if they ever had to obtain records from "BANDMILL" and if so, was it problematic? Without being gossipy, complaining, etc...just straightforward. If they say "well, it can take up to a few months" or whatever that is polite-speak for yes it can be a problem and you know to resort to Plan B (getting them yourself) You may be assuming a problem that isn't there, you know, because you've felt shuffled. They may release records quickly; find out before you get riled up! :biggrin: Good luck.

If I could get ahold of someone who "matters" that would be great! That is part of my concern. I asked to speak to someone in medical records.... they put me on hold 12 min and I hung up and called back... different person answered... and told me that they are difficult to get a hold of. I asked for the person in charge... can't get one of those either. My coordinator? can't get that person either. No direct lines to call ... so I faxed my request to the main fax number as that is all they offer..... left a voice mail for medical records. I just pray someone calls me back.

I honestly don't think if I went there I would be able to pick them up. God only knows where they are. 11 locations a call center.... ugh..... this is getting crazy. I just hope someone calls me back. I will fax and call everyday but I am not sure that will help.

:biggrin: