Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-band, what does your typical day of meals look like?

Very new newbie here, another question for you:

Describe a typical day of eating, after the liquid and mushy stages - typical meals and favorite foods?

I am trying to picture how this will be, as I am the primary (um, make that only) cook for my husband and 4 kids. Do you generally make some of the same stuff and just eat less? Or have you totally changed the types of meals you make (ie less Pasta, more Soup or whatever).

Many thanks!

Soup isn't really a great bandster meal just because it tends to...go through. No feeling of satiety because it doesn't stay in the small pouch!

My situation (1 husband, 1 cat, no kids) is so different from yours my menu won't help you

but at 11 months post op my husband and I eat the same things. I just eat less. When I am really in "lose weight" mode that is more Protein and green veggies, when I am more relaxed it's just whatever. We don't buy much fast food but it's just preference. I can't eat more than 1/3 - 1/2 of a chick fil A(for example) and my huband doesn't need to eat my leftovers but lord knows I can't just toss it! :)

Just one thing my nutritionist told us: if you eat rice or Pasta, cook it WELL...no al dente (because it continues to absorb liquid, as you know!)

Some people can't eat bread, or white chicken, or this/that/the other (you name the food there will probably be someone who can't eat it!) but many of us don't really have any issues (I'm one of those lucky ones). You'll find what works for you. My doc told me "assume you'll be able to eat anything and the odds are you will". :)

Say you were having chile cheese dogs and fries. I'd eat probably 1/3 - 1/2 of a chile cheese dog, 2-3 fries, and be done. I'd eat the bun. (well, that 1/3 - 1/2 of it)

I wouldn't pick that though, because more Protein dense meals keep me full longer.

Fried chicken? I'd eat part of a breast or thigh (including the skin) Macs and cheese? I'd probably pass...or have a small spoon full and find some meat/chicken/fish to fill me up. :)

You'll find it is easier than any diet you have ever tried, I bet.

Restless,

Thanks so much for the very helpful reply.

Your way of eating makes a lot of sense and seems very reasonable and do-able.

I am so excited!

One of the big things I have learned about the band is this: unless you are so filled that you can barely get food down (and some actually choose that...it's beyond me but it's a personal choice) you will have a HUGE degree of control over this. What you eat, how tight your band is; it's all up to you. There's no "diet" you'll be cheating on. YOU are the driver. If you want to pull over for fast food, you do it! (figuratively and literally)

If you want healthy, you do it. No one is going to successfully control this but you. So you work it like it works for your lifestyle and family. :) I think it is just short of miraculous, myself. It's done exactly what I thought it would. I take care of the "head" or emotional garbage, the band handles the physical or "true hunger" part. A wonderful partnership. And we each get to define it to best suit us! :)

Do you have a band date yet, or are you still in the info-gathering stage?

I have my first appt with the surgeon this Friday, and will be doing all the psych and nutrition consults on the same day. I was told my surgery could be scheduled as soon as Sept 17! Next month! I am paying myself since my insurance has a blanket exclusion for WLS.

Thanks again, it truly sounds like the band has been miraculous for you and so many others.

Good luck!