Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I SO want to eat MORE!

When I was little and we would eat at a smorgasboard (yesteryear's "all-you-can-eat"), my mother would always tell me to be careful that my eyes didn't get bigger than my stomach--meaning don't take more food than you can eat. My eyes are bigger than my stomach now! I'm a great cook and I love the food I make (even the lean, low-fat, "healthy" food). I have decent restriction with my second fill so far--yeah for that! BUT I always want to eat more than my new stomach can hold--it tastes so good! I'm not "head hungry" when I eat; I eat when I'm physically hungry. Funny thing is though, that I probably end up eating less than I could if I slowed down and took smaller bites--because I get "too-full-not-another-bite" really fast! How long before your mind catches up with your new stomach? Does it ever? Or are you always left wanting just a little bit more?

Edited by willowcat

I don't know. Personally (no kidding here) I am always SO PUMPED when a little bit fills me up! I got the "eyes bigger than your stomach" but I also got "humph ... "she" eats like a man" about females who ate huge amounts (keep in mind this was the 50's, ok?)

When I can eat a few ounces of steak and a small portion of green Beans and be satisfied I feel downright DAINTY. I LOVE it.

Maybe you just need to look at it differently?

I tend to think of food as fuel (and yes I've intentionally worked at that) and it makes a big difference.

Oh yeah, I was an eater! I think its funny when the waiters give me the "that's ALL she's gonna eat" when I order from the kids menu or get a box to go...it makes me chuckle! The waiters get a little offensive when I shoo them away from my Water glass too. I havent had my first fill yet, so I'm starting to eat a little more each day. I'm using will power to keep it under control, but for how long, who knows. I don't know how to cook and my mom has left, so now its back to shakes and Soup :/

A trick my doctor's office taught me that might work for you. Just a suggestion. I bought some small appetizer plates and child size flatware. I also buy the frozen singles packets of veggies like peas, corn, brussel sprouts. I weigh out what I am going to eat and only put that on my plate. It looks like a lot more because it is on a smaller plate. It really helps.

A trick my doctor's office taught me that might work for you. Just a suggestion. I bought some small appetizer plates and child size flatware. I also buy the frozen singles packets of veggies like peas, corn, brussel sprouts. I weigh out what I am going to eat and only put that on my plate. It looks like a lot more because it is on a smaller plate. It really helps.

Don't you get tired of weighing/measuring your food? I did that for WW and realized that if I had to do it the rest of my life I'd go MAD! (well, mad-der! LOL)

I have weighed or measured things a time or two for curiosity but how much I can eat is fairly consistent and I don't measure, count, weigh, anything.

I guess that's one of the great things about our bands; we can work them in a way that works for us.

Sorry, too. No thread hi-jack intended.

I starting using a smaller plate before surgery and it really does help. I just had my second fill about 2 weeks ago and I can't believe the difference it has made. I am at 5.2cc's and the change is unreal. I was eating so much more than I should and I couldn't tell when it was enough. I WILL NOT weigh every meal because I don't want to be a slave to the band. Not only can I get the "full" sign on time, I stay full. It took almost 2 weeks for me to be able to read it, but Ihad dinner about 2 hours ago and I still feel to full for Water. I just don't want anything else. I do have problems with the thought of eating even when I'm not hungry, late night nibbling.

Listen to yourself, slow down and take your time eating. Fix your plate and only eat that amount. Maybe you haven't reached your "sweet" spot. Stick with it and believe in you.

I am 12 days post surgery and I am so scared because I find that I haven't had to puree my foods as much as I thought I would have to.

I dont have any problem with feeling full or wanting to snack. I am eating good Proteins, veggies/fruits and just chewing chewing chewing. I even had some green Beans and beets that were not pureed but smashed and it all went down well. BUT I am so afraid that I am either not eating the right combination of food or maybe eating too much. I do measure and/or weigh each of them and have not snacked or cheated in any way but I am GAINING weight...

At 10 days post op, I had lost a total of 26 pounds but in the last 2 days I have gained almost 5 pounds. I wonder if I am retaining Water, am I eating too much or not the right combination of foods. I also wonder if its because I went 8 days on liquids and then it took a few days for my body to bounce back and catch up.

Anyone else have this happen to them when they went on smashed and mashed foods?

Yes, I want to eat more too. I am 12 days post op and of the food that I am allowed to eat, I can only eat watered Tomato Soup and broth. I actually Want to eat more, my head hurts, I am a bit nauseaus, and just plain TIRED of not feeling like myself (I know it is crazy to miss the fat me). I am going early to my 2 week appointment, tomorrow. I am going to ask that they take out the fill until I can get to feeling better, and I KNOW that I will gain weight. I just hope that I will be able to get back into the groove after this reversal.

So, yes, I want to eat more, but only so that I will feel good.

But, I also love food so much that I think I will possibly try to hold on to that ability to eat and keep on going. You know the same old thing - I'll start eating less tomorrow.

Just like you, I think that I'd rather keep on eating than lose weight... I love good food...feel stuck in the same place I was before all of this agony.

Don't you get tired of weighing/measuring your food? I did that for WW and realized that if I had to do it the rest of my life I'd go MAD! (well, mad-der! LOL)

I have weighed or measured things a time or two for curiosity but how much I can eat is fairly consistent and I don't measure, count, weigh, anything.

I guess that's one of the great things about our bands; we can work them in a way that works for us.

Sorry, too. No thread hi-jack intended.

The singles are already portioned out and I do weigh my meats. I do the smaller plates and weigh the meat because I had a tendency to put to much on my plate. I bought a small digital scale and leave it on my countertop. I put the meat there just before I put it on my plate. The scale has a sleeve that just lifts off and you can put it in the dishwasher. It isn't really difficult at all. I guess it is like anything you have to get used to it. Now, it is like second nature to me. It's kind of like the regular weight scale for me. It keeps me focused and I pay more attention. At least for now. Once I get used to it, I may not have to weigh the food as often. But for now, it is what I need to do for me. LOL:smile2:

Once in a great while I wish I could eat more too - mainly with the foods I used to binge on - BBQ potato chips or donuts. If I see someone going to town on one of those, it makes me wish I too could go back to snarfing down as much as I want. Sick huh???? Most of the time I'm like Restless Monkey - I'm thrilled that such a small amount can make me content - and then I think so THIS is how thin, healthy people do it!!! It's nice to not really care about food most of the time. Now instead of thinking about the next meal constantly and what do I GET to eat... come meal time I'm thinking what do I NEED to eat. And I'm not constantly obsessed with food anymore.

If I eat potato chips when others are around (3-4), I nibble on them bandster style. But for some reason if I'm alone and have some, I snarf. I guess it's the embarrassment I used to feel at eating like I did - I would eat them fast and furious when alone so no one knew.... yeah right! I'm really best off avoiding those foods, rarely have them, but if I do I do better when I'm around others. It's amazing what you learn about yourself through this process.

I'm wanting to eat more less often as time goes on - the pain that is associated with it is a wonderful deterrant!

Babekopp, cut yourself a little slack! You're 12 days post-op. Mushy foods. You're still healing AND you're in bandster hell. Yeah, you're feeling pretty good and better everyday and you have no restriction yet. Start adding some exercise to your days and wait for the fills to make your band the tool you want it to be!

Good Luck! It WILL work for you.

Thanks for your replies. It's good to know that the desire to eat more fades with time. Restless, I ended up cutting my food into little bites before I even sat down to eat--I felt downright dainty, too! :) That way I couldn't take big bites and try to convince myself that I was chewing enough when I really wasn't. Greytz, I used a small salad plate (learned that in WW a long time ago--but one tends to forget) and it made my meal look like plenty. I slowed way down--taking those dainty little bites--and I reached a point of satiety before the "I can't be full! I want to eat more food!" thoughts even had a chance to kick in. Babekopp, don't worry that you can eat more than you thought you would after surgery--it happens to everyone until they get their fills. The best advice I read on here said that the first 6 weeks after surgery are for healing--not losing. Stay off the scale but be vigilant about the food choices you do make. Everyone says this is a marathon and not a sprint. Thanks again, everyone, for your input--much appreciated!

Edited by willowcat

I think my head will catch up with my stomach when I weight about 100 lbs !! (never happen).... so for now each night the last thing I think about before I fall asleep, and I run it over and over in my head is that I can only eat 1/2 cup and my stomach is so small that it is enough! I wake up thinking that same thought! I am sure it's all in my head but whatever works to get me through the day. :tongue2: