Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

to those who are succeeding

Can you offer some help? I don't think I need a fill, I already vomit fairly often. I won't tell my md this because I am afraid they will take the fill out. Has anyone tried a specific diet that has agreed nicely with this surgery? I already exercise enough so that's not an issue. It seems sometimes I can non stop without an issue, and other times it's 3 bites and it's all coming up. I had my surgery last October and haven't had success. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Hey! Sorry you are having so much trouble. I don't think it's supposed to be that way. I am pretty new at this band thing, I had lap band surgery on 07-07-09, but I have done really well, and haven't vomited even one time. I am about four weeks post-op, and I can eat things like a serving of oatmeal, mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, wheat bread with Peanut Butter, etc. with no problem. I have to eat very slowly and chew everything really well, but no problems so far. My suggestion is to see your surgeon, because SOMETHING is not right if you are throwing up after three bites. Tell your surgeon what your fear is about having an "un-fill". Your problem may be solved with something as simple as a minor adjustment. Good Luck!!!!!

Kakki

karnold, I was banded Oct 7th and a few months ago had your problem. A small unfill was what did the trick. I, too, was scared to death that they would take out too much, but this is their business and they know how to help us. Please go see your doc at least for a talk and evaluation. Let us know how you do. By the way, after my unfill I did continue to lose wt, but I am one who has to watch my calorie intake and exercise.

Mimi

Try not eating in the mornings until at least 2 hours after you wake up. I had another fill the other day and was fine for the first 3 days and then yesterday - got sick every time I ate. I switched to liquids for 20 hours and am now slowly working my way back up. I'm going to try mushies for dinner.< /p>

About a week ago, I was convinced I needed an unfil too. On this forum somewhere, someone was talking about dehydration...and how it can make the band tighter. To make a long story short, I realized that I was concentrating so much on not drinking 30 minutes before or 45 minutes after that I wasn't drinking anything at all. Prior to my band, I am pretty sure that I only drank while eating. Anyway, I have made a concerted effort to drink more Water and juice and consequently I can eat more and I haven't had nearly as many episodes as I was experiencing.

Please discuss what you're experiencing with your doctor, but while you're waiting for an appointment, increase your liquid intake and see if it helps. It helped me.

Karnold,

Frequent vomiting is not good, and may cause problems with your band. Call your surgeon right away & discuss it with him/her. It is probably something that can be fixed easily. Even if they take out some of your fill, it can always be put back in when you can handle the food more easily. Good luck.

I agree with everything thats been said.

Also, throwing up regularly can cause other complications (like slippage). So its really important that you go have a talk with your doctor. He may just need to take out .1 cc and it could be perfect restriction. But being too tight and throwing up all of the time is just as bad, if not worse, than not being tight enough. Go get checked out!! good luck!

You need an upper GI to see what is going on. Otherwise, it is just guessing. But frequent vomiting is unacceptable and not part of what you (or anyone) signed up for. Some (maybe many) will put up with these kinds of problems to reach some elusive weight goal. When what they are really doing is jeopardizing their health. Don't be one of them. You got the band to be healthy not to vomit.

I won't tell my md this because I am afraid they will take the fill out. .

Not Good.

You NEED to tell your Doctor what is going on REGARDLESS of what he/she will do or NOT do. And although some really good advice has been given here, you also need to learn that you should NOT rely on internet forums to give you advice when there is clearly something wrong happening.

Tell your Doctor what is happening, and they will most likely have a simple solution to the problem.

Everyone experiences different effects from the band, at different times and in different ways. It's simply "the way of the Band".

See your doctor, and get the answer. It's that simple.

HH

I agree with much of what has been "said" here...

1. Make SURE you get 64 oz of Water in daily. A dehydrated person=tight band

2. Most PB incidents are caused by operator failure...not chewing well, bites too big, eating too fast. Most ... but not all. Check your basics

If these two things don't make an immediate positive difference, then

3. Call your doc. It is NOT good to vomit frequently, and its one of those things where if you address it quick it's a little problem but if you let it go on too long can become a BIG one.

good luck!

P S I stay well hydrated per my docs orders and can eat my meals AM, PM, whenever. That avoiding a meal early on is often a symptom of being dehydrated. Start your morning with 16 oz of Water and then a meal. It may not work for everyone, some people do have schizo bands and I think it may be hormonal (total guess, not science) but hydration works for most people.