Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Benevides VS Hamn, Opinions/Recommendations?

Ok, well I went to a seminar on Saturday with Dr. Benevides and really liked him. Today I called my OB/GYN to see what he thought and he recommended Dr. Hamn in Frisco. Says that several of his patients have had tremendous weight loss with Dr. Hamn, and that his facility is at the hospital in case something happens, which would be safer. He did not have an opinion on Benevides.

I have read good things and bad regarding Hamn, like how he won't let you go to another "fill Dr", appointment issues, bedside manner issues, etc. And have not read any negative things about Benevides.

Would like to know opinions from actual patients about before care, after care, surgery issues/facilities, etc. My OB/GYN said to find out about rate of success and complications before I get cut on by anyone, so figured I would start here!

Figure I need to make the right choice, because from what I have read you are stuck with your surgery doctor for aftercare.

Thanks in advance for your help

I have been reading obesityhelp.com where they have patient comments regarding physicians. All positive comments about Benevides, some negatives about Hamn.

Biggest negative for Hamn is no aftercare program. That is very important isn't it?

Still a little confused....

Well thought this might help anyone else doing some research.

This is based on Molly Mollys recommended questions, and Answers from Dr.Benevides' office.

*How many bands has he done? Over 1500

* And for how long has he been doing them? 4 years, since FDA approval

* What percentage of the bands he has done have had

-- erosion? None

-- slipping? some, said mostly due to patient noncompliance/vomiting

-- other problems? Nothing notable

* How many free fills do you get? Did not ask.

I asked how many fills are allowed? As many as you need. $50.00 copay, if ins covers

* What is their procedure if something goes wrong with the band during the first few months or first year? They will take care of it. Do what ever it takes to fix it.

* What is the success rate of weight loss of this surgeon's patients? (I know at the center I'm going to, they've got a 70% EWL average, which is higher than the national average -- this may be because of support services offered post op and/or careful screening of surgery candidates)? Says 97%

* What kind of followup care will you receive? 2weeks, 3 month, 6 month, 1 year and 1 year after that.

* What will the surgeon require of you post-op? (weekly or monthly support group meetings? weigh-ins? meetings with a dietician?) Nothing mandatory, but monthly meetings offered and recommended.

* What is their policy on doing fills? Do they limit it to only so often? How do they decide when it's time for you to have another fill? (or is it your decision?) Dr. Will give specific diet if you still do not lose weight then they will do a fill. Overfilling is an issue and they don't want to do a fill and then go back and take things out.

* Does he require you to lose a certain amount of weight prior to surgery? No.

Other question I asked: When is the first fill allowed? After week 6

Who does the fills? Usually nurse/PA, but sometimes Dr. B.

Will Dr. B do any follow up or just the surgery? Can schedule an appointment anytime to consult with Dr. B, but most aftercare things are done by others.

Did call Dr. Hamns office but the lady sounded overwhelmed. She told me the next "new patient" orientation dates and what information was usually covered, but did not have time to go thru my questions (Or I got that impression, so I did not press it).

I think I like the setup Dr. Benevides has, but wanted to post the answers to the questions to get your input. Most of you know better than I what is good/bad...

Poodles, just an fyi, the surgery center called me 3 times for 3 consecutive days to find out how I was feeling...looking for any problems...etc. There is a full fledged hospital not far from the surgery center...that is another reason I felt comfortable there.

I am going with Benavides instead of Hamm. I actually would have gone with Hamm 2 years ago when I first tryed to get the band but became so frustrated when I was denied by insurance and their office was unwilling to help at all.

Now, I am going thru Benavides and they have been fabulous. I can say that Hamm's office did not have me do one single test before they submitted to ins no psych eval, no sleep study, no pul tests where Benavides has had me do lots of things. I think that this will help my case more in trying to get approved this time.

My paperwork was submitted to Cigna on Friday so heres hoping for the best.

Thank you Piperbaby. I don't like the up front tests, but guess they help the process in the long run.

From all of the patients notes I have read you and I have made the right choice. If not, we need to post something for others to read later on, so please keep us updated on your case.

Will keep my fingers crossed for you! And thanks again for the input!

Well after 10 months of waiting for insurance to get their act together, I've finally been denied insurance coverage for banding. Disappointing, but glad there's finally a decision.

I plan to follow-up with Dr. Benevides' office on Monday to get the ball rolling for self-pay. I'm VERY HAPPY with the support I've received from Dr. B's office staff...the 10 month wait wasn't their fault...

I'll keep you posted, I'm gonna FINALLY get banded and I can't wait!!!!!!!

Wow that is crazy because I am going throug hDR. Hamn and I just finished my psyc evaul today, and I am do for pre-op testing 1 week before surgery, it just seems so add that he would not follow the same protocall with all his patients