Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What have I done?

Okay, my preop diet consists of solid Protein, less than 50 grams of carb per day, and low fat. I am currently on day 7. I have lost 15 lbs.

I quit being hungry about day 4. I don't want food at all!!

I am so weak. I am constantly running to the bathroom with diaharea. It takes everything I have to walk from the truck to the office (a total of maybe 30 feet). I have to sit down in the lobby before I go back to my office. After I exhaust myself, I get really nauseated!

I have been tracking all my food, and typically I am only consumming 500-800 calories a day!!!!! I've been doing this long enough to know that this is not healthy, and this is why I feel so rotten. I have got to figure out how to up my caloric intake without going over my carb and fat limit. Protein shakes I have looked at are not that low in carb. If I drink them I cant have the fruit. I can only eat so much baked chicken with no sauce, beef with no sauce. Don't misunderstand me. I can stick to the diet, but I need more calories....

Now for the what have I done!!!!! I had to run an errand this morning. I went by the Taco Villa and ordered an order of meat nachos. meat, cheese, chips and jalapenos. I ate it!!!!!! I feel tons better. shakes are almost gone, dizziness is subsiding. THis is not something I am going to do again, I just felt if I didn't get some carbs and fat in my body, I was gonna collapse. Even my coworkers who are very supportive of what I am doing are a little freaked by my appearance. I look horrible. I'm back on the regimine. I told the girls in my office, if this screwed up my liver and I died on the table, to please know I died happy, and that those nasty fast food nachos were the best I nachos I have ever eaten.

Now what???? I'm not going to keep doing that and I'm still a week out from surgery! Those of you on the liquid Protein shake diets....how many calories are you consumming a day???

I tried to call my coordinator, but she has not called me back!!!

Open to suggestions....I'd willing go all liquid if it made me feel human again!

Thanks

Patty

Patty,

First of all dont beat yourself up over it so much...after all we are all making such a drastic change so suddenly that it has to be expected that we're gonna lose it at some point. I agree with you that you need to get some carbs and fat in your diet. My doctors guidelines for the pre-op are at least 50 grams of Protein a day and less than 30 grams of fat ( obviously you would want to pick foods that are the lowest in saturated fat) but you should be able to have some fat & carbs in your diet. If you dont I think you'll be doing more damage to you than a fatty liver can have. Your body will kick into starvation mode which will just compromise everything you have acheived.

My adivce is try the Atkins shakes they are high in Protein (15g) and low in fat (total 9g, 1.5g sat) and only 5g carbs. these were recommended by my nutrionist. She also reccomended that if we were hungry we could have 2 cups a day of veggies. I make this great Eggplant medley that works out ot only 150 calories a serving ( 1 cup) and has 6g of fat. PM me if you want the receipe...even my non-veg eating sister likes it.

Hang in there girl !!

I finally got my coordinator on the phone. She told me to eat more fruits and vegetables even if I go over over the 50grams. She said just to stay away from white stuff (rice, bread, and potatoes) She also said if I wanted to eat a sandwhich to get some Ezekial bread from the health food store, but limit to two slices a day. She also said to add lowfat dairy into my diet. She said bump it up to 1200 calories a day, low fat, good carbs. I think this will help me feel alot better. She said to use low fat milk, fresh fruit and protien powder to up my calorie intake if I wanted to as well.

I feel much better about things. I really thought I was gonna pass out in the door way of my office. It has been so bad yesterday and today, that I was going to quit driving myself, because I was afraid I'd pass out and hurt someone!!!

She also said the about 2 days before my surgery to have 2 really good meals of my choice. Said it would give my body a boast before I went on Clear liquids.

She said it isn't often that she has someone that is TOO compliant. She said that with the restricted diet and low calories I had done what my liver needed me to do....now I just basically needed to maintain. Maintanence appartenly is not as strict.....I don't know, It made sense when she said it!!!!

Thanks,

Patty

I would agree with trying the Atkins shakes, my Dr. has recommended them for my own pre-up diet. I know what it's like to feel so tired from a VLCD (very low calorie diet). I wouldn't beat yourself up too much about eating the nachos! As long as you didn't gain back everything you lost, you've probably done no damage to your progress at all. Chin-up, and remember you've just got a little longer to go!

Atkins shakes do the trick!

If you're looking for a mix, you could try Isopure.... that's low in carbs.

As far as nachos go.... corn chips are exactly that.... ground corn (vegetable), a dash of lime, some salt, and some oil. cheese is ALL Protein and fat, and very low in carbs. Jalapeño peppers help with circulation, and rev metabolism. So, don't beat yourself up! Of all the nasty foods you could have eaten, nachos certainly wasn't the worst!

You know your body best! The diet is a guideline, but by no means, a bible!

hang in there!

hurricanesmiley.gif