Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Robotic Surgery For Prostate Cancer

ROBOTIC SURGERY :

In 1997,Dr. Menon was recruited to become chairman of urology at Henry Ford Hospital to revive the prostate cancer program,Menon and the staff at the VUI would develop robotic procedures in general,( for example bladder,Kidney cancer ) and the prostatectomy in particular,The robotic prostatectomy developed by Menon is called the “Vattikuti Institute Prostatectomy”. Specialized Laparascopic instruments are used for the procedures. During the operation

images from a 3-D camera are projected to a remote console.

The surgeons operates in virtual reality,observing the images on a screen.

This technology serves to make the surgery less invasive and more precise.

Dr.Menon has performed nearly 40,000 robotic prostatectomies,and is considered a world authority on the use robotic surgery for prostate cancer.

THE ROBOTIC PROSTATECTOMY :-

About the VIP Procedure:---

This is currently our preferred procedure for removal of the prostate.A team of surgeons led by Mani Menon,M.D,performs the operation.We have performed over 4000 such operations over a 7-year period,the word's largest experience.The unique procedure combine the oncological principles of “open “ radical prostatectomy with the minimum invasiveness of laparascopic surgery,Established by Dr. Menon.

With the state of the art “da Vinci” system,the surgeon uses a three – dimensional computer vision system to manipulate robotic arms.These robotic arms hold special surgical instruments that are inserted into the abdomen through tiny incisions. A laparascope- a long,thin,lighted telescope- is inserted through one incision and connected to the computer monitor that allows the surgeon to see inside the body.

The three-dimensional view helps the surgeon more easily find and preserve the delicate nerves and muscles that surround the prostate. The robotic arms can rotate a full of 360 degrees. This allows the surgeon to manipulate surgical instruments with greater precision and flexibility.

The prostate,nearby lymph nodes,seminal vesicles and adjacent tissues are removed through the small incisions,which are closed with few stiches. With the robotic technology,surgeons can manipulate instruments with greater precision and flexibility. Most patients go home within 24 hours and return to normal activity within 2 weeks after surgery. Patients walk the evening of surgery and begin a clear diet one day after surgery. Most patients have very little pain after the robotic procedure.

To qualify for this type of surgery,patients must be free of other significant health problems and be within a fairly normal weight range.