Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

tight pain in chest

I am 8 days post op and cannot stand to eat anything but broth. The milk based drinks are just too heavy for me...and Water is also a problem...I called the nurse today and she told me I had to get some Protein and to try some muscle milk. I drank about one or two ounces -the most I've drunk at one time so far -and was reaaly full. About twohours later, I thought it was time to try again to get some nutrition in my body. I just ate about 10 teaspoons of cream of Tomato Soup. I was feeling full, but thought it would be good for me -OUCH

My chest hurts! I feel like I have 'the golfball' in my throat. Like a heart attack! Is this what it feels like to be too full? Is it always going to be like this?

I am afraid to ever eat again. I just cannot eat very much at all. Do any of you have the same problem with not being able to eat hardly anything? I do not even think I have a fill in my band, but do not know for sure...

ps. what do I do to make this feeling go away!!

Edited by denouement
x

Week 2 (which is where you are now) I was still on clear broths etc (no creamy Soups etc) and was to add in Protein Shakes (mine are thin...like skimmed milk that is watered down) However if you are in pain call back tomorrow and Tell them you can't get the Protein or Water down The surgeon may have filled you during surgery and not told you, either way you need to be able to get 64 oz of water down each day.

I feel the same way!!!!! I am 3 weeks post op and my chest feels tight....to the point that I don't like to stand up straight because it feels like something is pulling when I do. Is your feeling anything like this?

I don't have the feeling of a lump in my throat but it is very hard for me to eat and drink. I did have a slight case of dehydration because of that and TRUST ME you don't want that to happen...it is horrible. Make yourself drink anything that you can (I know it is hard). Lately I have been trying to walk more and that makes me thirsty and therefore helps me drink more Water. The Protein drinks are almost impossible for me to stomach also.

However, I am more concerned about our chest pain. What is it? Will it go away? And I wish everyone would quit saying that it is gas because it doesn't feel like that at all. It is a tightness/pulling feeling.

Anyone out there that can help us?

Check with your doctors!!!! You are healing...but things can (and do) go wrong. If your doc says you're on track it may just be a matter of time. And em2 bless you, you should just go to another surgeon and get checked out. You have had a BUNCH of unexplained pains and aches. Seems a new one crops up each day. that's no way to live.

I am so sorry for you too :laugh: How did you know that you were dehydrated? I am so afraid that I will eventually have to go into the hospital. I can't take much more of this!

and, no standing up straight is not a problem. The stiches pull some, but I don't feel the same as you...hopefully someone else will come along here to help you with that.

Odds are if you aren't getting at least 64 oz of fluids in daily, you are getting dehydrated. Is your urine very concentrated? Does it have a strong odor? Are you urinating less frequently than normal? We dehydrate really fast (you can go WAY longer without nutrition than you can without water)

That's why I say if you still can't get enough down, call your doc tomorrow. That beats a trip to the ER on a Fri or Sat night! :laugh:

I had that tightness in my chest for the first month and it eventually lessened. I'm not sure mine was nearly as much as yours, given that you're having trouble with fluids even. I didn't have any issues drinking.

Did your surgeon put some amount of fill in the band at the time of surgery? It could be that you may be tight already just out of the starting gate.

My surgeon put 1.5cc's in at the time of surgery. My first fill post-surgery was July 8th and I now have 2.4cc's, and it does feel tight - I am working on getting used to this, but just that .9 cc's of Fluid makes a HUGE difference in how I eat and how much.

Good luck! (From Linda who is really still to new at this to be giving advice, so take that into consideration when you read my post! LOL)

I wasn't hungry AT ALL and was so dizzy and light-headed that I felt horrible even laying down. It felt like when one drinks too much alcohol and the room is spinning (the last thing one feels like doing is eating and drinking when one feels like this.) It was the dizziness that was the WORST.

And Parrot...I know! I have been so sick and my nurse thinks that I am having anxiety attacks (but I am not). I live in a very small NE town and the doctors around here don't know anything about lapband and wouldn't know how to help me. I can only rely on my lapband doctor (who is nicer than the nurse). He really does try to help me. The problem is that the problems come and go so sometimes when I see him my chest doesn't hurt (like on Monday). He focused on my dizziness and that has gone away. Now that I am eating again though...my chest pain is back.

You said "And Parrot" but maybe you meant me?

Make an appt with the doc. Write down the times you have the symptoms, what you ate, how much they hurt (scale 1-10) and the "quality" (like...stabbing, pulling, sore, throbbing) and when you go see him, take that list.

Maybe he'll see a pattern and can help you.

Sorry Restless Monkey...yes, I meant you. :laugh: And that is actually a GREAT idea...I am going to do that!

It should help him a great deal! Good luck! :laugh:

OH of course say WHERE the pain is too!

and if it happens after something that you can connect...like you drink Water and within 10 minutes you have a pulling pain under your left breast...or whatever...that will help him narrow it all down! :tt2: