Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I in a normal funky stage right now?

I was banded a little over 3 months ago- have had five fills with a total of approx. 5.25 in a 10cc band. This past fill- 1 cc really changed things up for me in terms of food consumption. I have to chew, chew, chew or I am in pain, pain, pain. This has been challenging but I am getting the hang of it- the fear of pain is amazing that way. I have no trouble with liquids and am really being careful with portion size. My troubles or the funkiness that I reference in the title is that I really have not felt any change in my hunger level. The head hunger is always there but I am specifically referencing a hungry feeling in my stomach- true hunger (I believe). I thought that because I was starting to experience some restriction that the hunger would be better addressed. Is this part of a stage that everyone goes through while trying to obtain the green zone? I am not sure how I could manage with any more fills at this point because I would think it would put me in the red zone. I am feeling discouraged as I really had hoped to have the hunger better in control-am I on the right track and this is the process?

If you just had a fill, it might loosen up a bit soon. It seems like many people feel a really tight pressure in the chest right after a fill, but it usually loosens up somewhat.

As for the hunger, are you getting enough Protein in? You should probably drink a Protein shake for Breakfast and/or lunch. For me, it is usually tighter in the mornings, so if this is the case, a Protein Drink would be easiest to get down. Maybe try some softer Proteins like cottage or tuna. I like to mix sugar free jelly (10 calories per tbs) with 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese for 80 calories and 13 grams Protein.

Choosing protein rich foods should help with the real hunger, but it takes a while to stop wanting to eat "slider foods" all the time. If you're having cravings, try avoiding sugar for a while. I would stick with your current fill for a while before trying to get another one, because it sounds like you are already pretty tight. It should get easier soon.

I know I say this a lot but you really should tell your surgeon this if it keeps up. I agree that I get more "bang for the buck" with Protein rich foods. I can eat 3 oz of grilled steak (just that...nothing else) and honest to goodness be FULL for 6 hours.

OR I can eat something like, say, 3/4 of a bean burrito (with a high Fiber tortilla, just FYI! and low fat refrieds) and be full for about 3 hours. Obviously now I like the more Protein rich, dense foods (love chicken breast too...or roast...) They just fill me up quick and keep me "not hungry" for a good long time.

So tinker with your choices.

If that doesn't help, I don't know what to tell you.

As scary as it is, you have to concentrate on solid foods and stay away from liquid or mushy foods...the solid foods are the ones that will keep you feeling full for a while. If I eat Soup or yogourt, it goes right thought te band and I am hungry 30 minutes later...same as any other slider foods. Once I got my last "good" fill that got me at my sweet spot, it took me at least 3-4 weeks to get used to it and as I remember, I was getting pain at almost every meal, because I was pushing it too much or discovering that certain foods got stuck very easily, and they weren't what I expected. Like for me, I can't eat soft salad or scrambled eggs, because they are too soft and sticky. There is alot of trial and error during this "funky" period, but you will get through it! You'll eventually figure out what works for you and can keep you full for a while.

Thanks orcidgrl- I can tell you have been where I am at. I didn't realize it might take a while to figure how to eat- so it is comforting to hear that it took you three to four weeks to figure it out- this is kinda hard!!!! You are right on the money on sticking to protein- I just needed to hear it one more time and it appears to have stuck. I should have been doing this all along but now I have no choice- I am tired of the hunger so I need to be careful to not drink prior to and after eating and stick to Proteins. That is the only way I will be able to accurately tell my dr. at my next visit how my hunger level is!!!!!

Thanks orcidgrl- I can tell you have been where I am at. I didn't realize it might take a while to figure how to eat- so it is comforting to hear that it took you three to four weeks to figure it out- this is kinda hard!!!! You are right on the money on sticking to protein- I just needed to hear it one more time and it appears to have stuck. I should have been doing this all along but now I have no choice- I am tired of the hunger so I need to be careful to not drink prior to and after eating and stick to Proteins. That is the only way I will be able to accurately tell my dr. at my next visit how my hunger level is!!!!!

I remember that when I went though this stage, it was very hard mentally, because for the first time ever, food was not a fun, good thing anymore, it kinda turned into pain (psychologically speaking)...I went from looking forward to every meal to being scared to eat...but slowly it got better and now I enjoy food again, but it was a big issue that I had to deal with. I know that I discovered that bean and lentil salads were awesome, super filling, full of good Protein and went down easy, and also fish was great toonice and healthy...funny how i never liked fish before but now i love it. ...unfortunately I also discovered that I would have to give up my adored sushi for ever and had alot of trouble with raw tomatoes. This is also the period when you really discover what it means to get stuck and have to PB! :(Good luck and remember that its all worth it.