Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost didn't get my band!

Well I was banded just 2 days ago and my surgeon said when he got in there there was alot of scar tissue and my stomoch and liver were stuck togather with scar tissue. He seperated them and put some mesh or somthing between them to keep them from growing togather again. He said he wasn't going to put the band on but after seperating them the stomoch looked fine so he went ahead and put it on. He doesn't really know what caused the scarring but thinks it has to do with gallbladder surgery I had 2 months ago. While doing a liver ultrisound to prepare for lapband surgery they discovered gallstones so I had surgery. I had alot of pain after gallbladder surgery and ended up in the ER the evening of surgery and they did a ct scan and abdomen xray but did not see anything. He says it coud have been caused from infection or a bile leak or a number of other things. I am so worried about this I havn't been able to be excited about my lapband. My surgeon says he has never seen this before in any of his surgeries. He said though he would not be releasing me from the hospital if he were too worried about it. I was wondering if anyone has heard of anything like this before or if it has happened to any of you?

On the upside of the story I had very little pain after the lap band surgery. I have a little soreness and just a little gas but I feel great! I was expecting it to be like my gallbladder surgery and I am so greatful it is not!

Adhesions are common in any surgery...if your surgeon wasn't worried and placed mesh in there to prevent the adhesions from returning, then if it were me, I'd let it be. We are all different, you need to remember that. We heal differently, our insides are different, everything about us is unique. If your doc thinks you're fine, you probably are. You're smart enough to know over the next few weeks if you are healing or still feeling bad, and that's all any of us can do...do our own little "self check" and then get on with life. Of course if you are still worried call your surgeon for more reassurance (is there a reason you don't believe or trust him?) Mind I'm not saying NEVER question a doc...far from it! But he found it, he told you about it, he "fixed" it, he let you go. He seems, at least from over here where I am...to be prudent, caring, "good". If you feel that way about him, then don't borrow trouble as my granny would say. If you don't...get a second opinion. Change doctors.

You're going to probably feel twitches and twinges and pangs and OUCH as you heal from lap band surgery so if you are in doubt, CALL your surgeon's office. :) They won't mind!

Congrats on your surgery!

Sorry to hear there were some complications, but I'm glad they were resolved. Just take it easy while your healing and following your post-op instructions exactly to avoid any further complications and you will do great! And of course, call your surgeon's office for any questions or concerns you have. Don't hesitate to bother them, they work for you :)

Thanks for your responses. You are absolutely right. I need to quit worrying about this. I have complete faith in my surgeon. He has a reputation for being one of the best and most cautious in this area. He definatly takes a great deal of precautions before surgery. I didn't know adhesions were common after a surgery. That makes me feel much better. I need to let this go and get on to losing weight with my new band!

I can see how it would come out of left field and make you uneasy, but I think you're safe to move on...with it in the BACK of your mind. :)