Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not sure whether to get 2nd fill...

I had my first fill about 1 week ago (3.6 cc in a AP-S band), and I'm averaging 1150 calories a day. I feel I'm using quite a bit of willpower to keep my calories at this level.

Since I've never had a fill before, I'm not familiar with any particular sensation. I can chew and swallow everything, but I do get full after about 1 cup of food. I start getting hungry about 2-3 hours later.

Should I make an appointment for next week (waiting the 2 weeks as recommended) or do you think I'm okay at this point?

Thanks in advance,

Lisa

Banded 06/17/09

Weight loss up to date: 20 lbs.

First fill 07/22/09: 3.6 cc

Edited by Lisa2112

You have to talk to your doctor, my doctor used how quickly I was getting hungry after a meal to determine I needed a bit more fill. So for me being hungry 2-3 hours after dinner was what made them give me a bit more. But they also look at your weight loss and check to see if you are averaging 1-2 lbs a week. Good luck, but call your doctor or their nurse and discuss with them I am sure they can help you decide.

You have to talk to your doctor, my doctor used how quickly I was getting hungry after a meal to determine I needed a bit more fill. So for me being hungry 2-3 hours after dinner was what made them give me a bit more. But they also look at your weight loss and check to see if you are averaging 1-2 lbs a week. Good luck, but call your doctor or their nurse and discuss with them I am sure they can help you decide.

Yeah, my main concern is that I'm getting hungry 2-3 hours after eating, and therefore relying on my weak willpower :thumbup: till the next meal. Earlier today, I just watched a youtube video and she said that after a good fill, she won't be hungry for another 5-6 hours... So you're advice about your doctor giving you just a bit more fill when you got hungry after 2-3 hours makes it easier for me to call my doctor and mention it. I'll definitely call first thing tomorrow.

Thanks sooo much for your input. It's appreciated. Good luck on your journey!

Lisa

I am always hungry every 2 hours and eat a small snack every 2 hours. As of today - I now am up to 10.5 cc's in a 14 cc band. I lost 15 pounds since my last fill 11 weeks ago and my doctor is satisfied with my weight loss even though it's slow. But, I am also able to eat anything (just small amounts).

I would LOVE to get to 5-6 hours, but not there yet... we just have to keep working the program I guess.

I hear that :biggrin:

I am always hungry every 2 hours and eat a small snack every 2 hours. As of today - I now am up to 10.5 cc's in a 14 cc band. I lost 15 pounds since my last fill 11 weeks ago and my doctor is satisfied with my weight loss even though it's slow. But, I am also able to eat anything (just small amounts).

Good job on your recent weightloss! I guess that's what I'm doing right now too, just trying to eat something small every 2 hours. It's just taking quite a bit of self control. I just have this fear that I may just really let myself go, and then I'll gain weight and then everything will go downhill. (Familiar old feelings :biggrin:).

I stock up on cheese sticks and will have 1 as a snack or almonds. At work for lunch - I can never finish my meal and I bring a Weight Watchers chocolate for my chocolate fix that I sometimes need in the afternoons. When there is a big fruit sale in the market, I'll buy it and make a large fruit salad and divide it up in containers to bring to work as one of my Snacks. Then there are days that I need some chips or a cookie but it's all in moderation. I can't pig out on that stuff like I did before the band. I also started walking at our local high school track after work.

My surgeon says no snacks! I've found that it depends on what I choose to eat as to whether I stay full or not. Things that are softer and more "processed" (like a bean burrito as opposed to chicken breast, for example) leave me hungry sooner. Right now I can eat anything at all...but some foods pack more bang for the buck if that makes sense. You may want to tinker around with that too! :juggle: Good luck; sounds like you're doing great!

This is a test. I've tried to post a message 3 times today and keep getting booted out.

I'm confused about fills. I had my first fill (5cc) at the hospital 6 weeks out. I didn't know I was supposed to call the office that same day to schedule my next fill. Now I have to wait until the end of August. I asked what the criteria is for a fill and they said it's automatic every 6-8 weeks for a year and twice the second year. I feel it should be up to me. I have some restriction, I never get hungry and I've lost apprx. 2 lbs a week. I can't afford for him give me .5 every 6 weeks just because he can.

jerseygirl518 if you are one of the lucky ones to be doing well with your (to me quite large) first fill, then GREAT! as it gets closer, cancel that late Aug appt and book one for Sept (or whatever) and keep that up until/unless you need a fill. Don't get one if you are happy where you are.

in my opinion, i don't think it's so bad to eat every 3 hours or so. if you eat every 6 hours you may not get in as much Protein as you should.

i'd wait maybe a month before the next fill to see how much weight you can lose with this fill. for me, i was very aggressive with my fills and ended up having extreme acid reflux. i had to get almost completely unfilled and start again from scratch... getting .4cc's a fill instead of the 2.0cc's i was getting.

It's just really personal....I LIKE only eating every 6 hours (and not being hungry all the time)...I have no problem getting enough Protein in. That's what my doc wants me to do, though...the 3 meals/no Snacks thing. It's wisest I think to start out following your doc's recommendations and then branching out from there.

IMO - if you are still not at your sweet spot and suffer from being hungry every couple of hours, then maybe 4 SMALL meals a day are better than 3. I just say this because if you feel like you are going to sabotage yourself and eat junk food it's probably better to address the hunger issue until you get to an appropriate fill level. My doc doesn't have a problem with an afternoon nutritious snack if it keeps you from eating too fast, eating too much, or generally suffering until your next meal. Aim for high Protein foods, keep drinking your fluids, and space out your meals if hunger is an issue until you get to a level that it is not a problem anymore.