Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I exchanged problems w/ my band removal

I got my lapband in early 2004, I was a self pay- the surgery was still a little new in the U.S. and my insurance was dead set against approving any weight loss surgeries without years of proof of failed attemps and a six month course of their weight loss plan. Well I didnt have years of proof and at the time I was struggling with severe acid reflux. So when I heard that the lapband would eliminate acid reflux, I jumped at refinancing my mortgage to come up with the money to pay for the surgery in Mexico. I was so desperate to live without acid reflux I did what I did and got the surgery within 3 months of learning about the band. Yes I was morbidly obeses too, diabetes, sleep apnea- all of it.

After surgery, no more pills, prescriptions, depression and most of all NO ACID REFLUX! I lost 80 lbs in 10 months, I was so happy, I felt 20 years younger, I wasnt at my goal but I was pretty close and happier than ever.

THEN:

got pregnant. had beautiful baby.

the band NEVER "worked" again and after the pregnancy I had terrible port pain from the day she was born.

The Mexico surgeoun turned out to be the biggest jerkoff and I was so upset I had no where to turn here in the states without paying $400.00 a pop for a dr to check me out.

FAST FORWARD to present:

band came out two weeks ago, after rounds & rounds to get my insurance to pay for it. the very next day, recovering from the surgery, the clear broth I was given came up with a vengence.

I thought it was just a fluke until it happened again and again. Today I get some Prilosec, havent taken that junk in 5 years. I cant even begin to tell you how depressed I am that I really am back where I started.

Had I even thought of the chance of acid reflux coming back I would have done something, anything to save my band.

my doctor did say the port and the band were not in its original placement, but still now I'd pay anything to make the reflux go away. I am so sad it just didnt work out for me.

Edited by back-where-i-started
missed a word

I am really sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. Hopefully someone on here will beable to give you some advise to help ease the situation.

Am I a candidate for the vertical sleeve even though my BMI is around 35-36?

Not really. It's not because of your BMI it's because of your reflux. If your reflux is due to a hiatal hernia then you can fix the hernia and the reflux goes away. But if it isn't from a HH then a sleeve can make your reflux a gazillion times worse.

If you get a sleeve and your reflux gets worse the surgical option for fixing GERD is a nissan flundoplication but you can't do that procedure after WLS. So you'd be stuck with GERD worse than you started out with.

But..... If you get bypass it will fix your obesity problems AND your GERD.

So first thing is first, do you know why you have reflux? Has a hiatal hernia been ruled out? If you have one, get it fixed.

Then if you still have reflux then your best option is bypass. The anatomy of the pouch after bypass is such that GERD goes away 99 times out of 100.

You cannot live with reflux, you will end up with barretts esophagus and that is basically esophageal cancer just waiting to happen.

thank you so much for replying to me! the sleeve did sound so much better, just wont be in my cards.

I had an endoscopy before my surgery and the dr said he didnt see anything like that. just scar tissue and my liver trying to grow around the band.

I just took my 1st heartburn pill in 5 years 2 hours ago. hasnt done a single thing for any relief.:biggrin:

thank you so much for replying to me! the sleeve did sound so much better, just wont be in my cards.

I had an endoscopy before my surgery and the dr said he didnt see anything like that. just scar tissue and my liver trying to grow around the band.

I just took my 1st heartburn pill in 5 years 2 hours ago. hasnt done a single thing for any relief.:biggrin:

What kind of heartburn pill? A PPI? PPIs take 2-3 days to begin working. Drugs such as TUMS or Rolaids that contain Calcium carbonate make reflux better in the moment but cause rebound acid and you end up with more than you started with.

Something like Gaviscon does not cause rebound acid.

2-3 days?? wow, see I really forgot about those pills!! ughg thank you for your info, i appreciate your replies very much.

It is 2-3 days if it is a proton pump inhibitor. Something such as Nexium, Nexium mups, Protonix, Prevacid, or Prilosec. Those are the drugs that take 2-3 days to work. If that is what you are taking then Gaviscon is great while you wait. ;o) NO TUMS! NO ROLAIDS! Those cause you to have more problems than you started with.

When people say they take Prilosec every now and again for reflux I cringe, it doesn't work that way. It's all or none, take it or don't. But take it all the time or none of the time.

If you are taking a PPI then you'll want to talk to your doc about bumping up Calcium supplements. It messes with the way your body absorbs calcium. If you are taking a PPI and Calcium, make sure it is calcium citrate and not calcium carbonate.

There's another PPI. Been around a couple of years at least because I took it for a year as part of ulcer treatment. Aciphex. Talk to your doc. You can probably take something else along with a PPI for those couple of days, say Pepcid or Zantac until the PPI gets up to speed. IF your doc hasn't prescribed a PPI for you, then shame on him. Tell him you need DRUGS.

Wow I was reading your original post and it's making me even more depressed!! I'm self pay, had 1 revision surgery, lost over 100lbs and was so happy... got pregnant.... love my baby.. band mysteriously doesn't work anymore. Paid $400 a month ago for fluro to rule out slip & dilation. Now they think it's a leak due to no drawback immediately after fill. They want me to pay $400 next week for a contrast study... and tonight I got the deal breaker, wanting to charge me the full amount of the original surgery to fix it (15k). Not an option for me. So now, I'm exploring other options. I'm thinking about the sleeve..

I actually had chronic heartburn till I lost the 100+lbs.. it has come back after pregnancy,but nothing like it use to be, but I get it 1-2x a week (I was down to 0).