Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I am wanting to get the lapband done. I am 32 with a BMI of 40. I live in Millville, MA have BC/BS of Ma and trying to find a good dr. I would prefer one to do it as a out paient procedure. I really like being home and not in a Hospital. Any one have any good Drs that they can reccomend?:biggrin:

The band is being done more often as an Outpatient procedure, so it shouldn't be difficult to find a Doctor who does it this way.

having said that, however, I'd like to suggest that you take that OFF THE TABLE as criteria for your surgery.

You need to concentrate on the QUALIFICATIONS of the surgeon, rather than whether or not you will have to stay overnight in the Hospital.

I am a little surprised that people WANT it to be outpatient. It is SURGERY, and if there ARE complications in the hours post-op, the hospital is WHERE you WANT to be. They can monitor you, and if you have questions that come to mind, you can ask them and get answers right then and there.

I would advise you to find the BEST surgeon for your procedure, and leave it at that.

HH

what area are you from? I wasn't in the hospital very long. I went there at 6 a.m. and was home by 2:30 that same day. i'm not a fan of hospitals either.

My ins paid for my surgery. I was told that most self-pay patients opt for outpatient status. I was told that my ins may require that I stay over night. I wouldn't know until the surgery was over, the case complications and such. I packed my over-night bag and brought, just in case.

I was let go about 3 hours after surgery. However, had they wanted to keep me over night, I'd been a bit disappointed. But hubs and I decided that if the doc wanted me to stat over night, I would have. They had my best interest at heart.

I think you'd be wise to consider an over night stay, if that's what your doc wants.

I live in Louisiana, so I can't help to as far as doc's go. My advice would be to not weed out good doc's because an over night stay is a possibility. They only have your best interest at heart.

I have not completely thrown the hospital stay out the door. I would just prefer not to. I have had 2 surgeries that were more extensive than the lapband seems to be. I have had Ovarian Cysts removed and scar tissue removed from them also. Along with the Utreus removed from the Bowel. All this is caused from being over weight. Then 9 mos later I had my Gallbladder removed. And neither of these were a over night stay. My ins had said at both surgeries that if it required a over night stay it would pay. I have tried weight watchers, regular diets and anything new that came up and with all I had no luck. I have done my homework and really want to have this done.

You won't find any doc to promise no hospital stay and if you do...RUN from that physician!

My doc keeps everyone overnight but didn't keep me. Why? Because I recovered quickly, felt great, kept adequate liquids down easily, urinated, walked, etc etc.

We had agreed in advance that subject to his good judgment I could go home if I was doing well.

I also, during the preop phase, acted in a way that he would know I'd go to the ER etc if I needed to.

So I suggest finding a surgeon who is on your insurance and with whom you feel comfortable, and discuss your concerns with him. Just like one should never PROMISE to send you home, you don't have to find one who is knee-jerk about how you MUST STAY regardless.

My surgeon knew I had good care at home, etc. I reasssured him and was doing great, he was happy to accommodate me. I'm sure he's not the only one out there who feels that way.