Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone ever cheat in first month?

Derek -

Hang in there. It is really hard to get into a mental mind frame to not "cheat" since that's the way we've been our whole lives. All judgement aside, please stick with what your doctor says. Even if it seemed to go down fine, it could still have caused damage or may cause damage down the road. The reason they want you on the shakes and mushies and not great tasting stuff is to give your stomach time to heal. When you eat things other than this, your stomach has to work harder to digest it which means more turning churning and moving which could lead to the band slipping, or a stitch coming loose which could cause the band to slip months down the road.

Just try to hang in there! Remember why you did this. Look around the message boards for great suggestions of stuff to eat in the diet stage that you're in. And if you haven't done it already, make sure your surgeon is aware of this cheat just to make sure nothing is wrong.

Good luck to you!!

Don't worry about the internet critics, every Doc gives different instructions. I was eating solids within a week with the blessing of my doctor.

Having said that, you have food issues. You will not lose weight if you don't try. All the band does is make it a bit easier. People can and do gain weight with a band (and other surgeries) all the time. It seems like you think it will do all the work for you and you are just along for the ride, and it's not like that.

Assuming that you really do want to lose weight, here's a tip. You get used to eating certain foods over time. Most of use got used to eating ones that made us huge. The good news is that you can just as easily get used to eating stuff that's healthy.

For example, don't eat ANY sweets for a week. None at all, not even artificial sweeteners. It'll be hell for a few days but then you'll realize that you don't crave it as much anymore. It's an addiction and you need to treat it as such. Same thing with rich, high fat fast food.< /p>

These days most sweet Desserts are just cloying to me, and anything richer than 2% milk or fat free cottage cheese seems almost too much to get down. But if I get past it and snarf down a candy bar, I have to start over.

Good luck, I think you'll need it.

bristlecone, thanks for replying about "jealous people" i liked your analogy and i will try to remember that! lisa6

To all the Non cheaters: I know you mean well but if the question did not apply to you , there is no need to reply just because you feel you have something to say. We all know the instructions, that is why she said she “cheated “she wasn’t asking for advice or reminders of the rules!

We all have to go back to the saying "everyone is different" so why won't some folks heal faster or be able to eat sooner? Maybe I’m trying to justify what I did. I cheated too. Why? I was very hungry and I got nauseated and sweaty. I felt terrible, sick and weak. I was back to work and I have 2 kids to run after. Protein drinks were not working and even with drinking liquids every hour I felt starved and I had terrible gas pain and painful burping.

I felt great after I thicken things up.

To everyone that feels they can manage the 2 weeks on liquids GREAT FOR YOU. I hate not being able to feel the effects of the band with the inflammation alone. I wish I could follow the instructions but I would have to be off work and sleeping all day to do it. I'm not giviing up but I do admit I cheated. Hopefully this weekend I can get back on track.

My advise Don't beat yourself up but try to get back on track. I lost 7 pounds being on liquids. it doens't make it easier but it does give me hope :wink2:

Edited by Clarecer

your welcome glad i could help lol!

1 week today was banded. I ate a 3 musketeers and a peach. all went down fine. I have no fill currently.

I want to go to Wendy's for chilli or taco bell or something. These shakes are killing me and to know I have to go another 3 weeks kills me even more. Just curious if anyone else has "cheated"?

Check out the Protein Shake recipes in the recipe section, They are very good and you won't be cheating but you will feel like you are!!:scared2: