Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

short distance from fat to filled

Long time no speak. How's everyone doing? Well I am very discouraged over this whole lapband thing and I'll tell ya why. I have no restriction at all. I had the surgery in April and had some complications. I didn't get around to getting a fill until June. The doc put 2.5 in and asked me to swallow a small cup of Water. I couldn't get a drop down. He noticed this when I couldn't answer his questions. He had me lay down in order to remove some of the fill. When I did all of the water came up my nose. He took 1ml out so now I have 1.5. I can eat anything. I had a huge ribeye for dinner, corn on the cob, baked potatoe, salad, 5 small crescent rolls. I hurt now. I can't breathe. I just think that I need more fill but jeez louise..............I couldn't swallow water at 2.5. Anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong. Have you ever heard of someone who could eat like a pig and then not get anything down with a difference of 1ml in their band?

Yes I have heard of this. even .1 and that is .1 not 1 full cc - but even .1 cc can make all the difference in hitting the sweet spot. Here is my deal. 1st fill - had 1cc - did nothing - second fill - another 1cc for a total of 2cc in a 4cc band - could barely sip Water and eat yogurt and pudding - so he took .5cc out leaving me with a total of 1.5cc - and no difference from when I was at 1cc. Soooo it's pretty much a guessing game and every single person is different. For me 1.5cc is not enough but 2cc is too much. So I'll go for a 3rd fill next month to get that gap a little closer and think I'll ask him for .3cc to make a total of 1.8cc. Remember even .1cc can make the difference. Close the gap and you'll find yours too!

THERE you are! Don't go away so long, okay? See what happens when you go without your support system?! Stick out your hand, lemme slap it, there.

YES! Just the smallest amount can make the biggest difference. My first fill was 2cc in a 4cc band. By the weekend I knew the gig was up and went back for an unfill. Doc took out a mere .4cc, leaving me at 1.6cc and all is good. I have restriction, have since lost about 12 pounds (slowly) and I do't think I'l get another fill for a good bit of time. We'll see.

One thing to keep in mind is that post-fill, the stoma/band area is often swollen, especially if your fill was a bit tight and you then unfill. After the swelling goes down you can be left with less restriction than you want. I tried to keep this in mind and stick with liquids over the weekend after my fill but each time I attempted any food at all I PB'd or at least got stuck, so the vicious cycle continued until that small amount came out. Now it's all good.

Go back and get a small fill. Maybe try a half cc and see? What size is your band...don't you have the Vanguard? And look! You have lost 40 pounds so don't sweat it! Back up and punt. You can do this.

1 cc is huge in a 4 cc band.

having as little as 1/2 of a cc can make a huge difference in your restriction just as having as little as 1/2 of a cc removed if you are too tight will make it som food will go down but you will still have enough restriction to lose weight. Many doctors will tell you it may take 1-3 fills to get it to a level wehre you feel restriction. Alot of people do not notice a difference afer their first fill. Do not get discouraged. Remember though just becasue you can eat that much does not mean you should...this is where your head has to come into play with the band. I know it is easier said then done. Ask your Dr. to give you a small fill, you may be suprised at the difference .5 cc's will make. My Dr. took me to 2 ccs at my last fill and it was tough to get Water down, he backed off to 1.5 and that was a good ammount. Hang in there and dont give up! You can do this :)

if you dont have restriction you get another fill! your dr should be going up in small increments till you reach restriction.

you can also get a fill under x-ray (flouro) then your dr can 'see' everything. if you are self pay they are like $700. i just paid for one because i have had so many to tights and to looses.

good luck!

michelle

0.1cc, for me, is a huge difference between not quite restricted and over restricted. Have him (or her) up your restriction in small increments, adding 0.1 or 0.2cc at a time...

You had the fill in June, that was 3 months ago, so it is time for you to go back and get filled again. Why are you hurting and can't breath? If you hurt and can't breath you have some restriction, listen to your body. The only time I hurt and can't breath is when I eat to much, the wrong thing, to fast or to much. Are you scared to get another fill because of how you felt with the 2.5 fill. That was then, now you body has adjusted to 1.5 it needs a little maybe .5 or even more. The band will have to be adjusted slowly and each time we get restriction that slowly over time allows us to eat more. During the time of restriction we are suppose to practice Portion Control and if you noticed band friendly foods will help you to loose weight.

Good Luck and don't be discouraged.

We missed you!

Anyway, you had too much restrction at 2.5 and not enough at 1.5... why not split the difference and got to 2.0? get a .5 fill...

I'm at about 1.5 with some restriction, but not enough, I've lost 4 entire pounds since May, twice!... And some people do find a big difference with a +/- .1 fill difference