Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I attended another seminar this weekend at Scottsdale Healthcare (not impressed by first one with Banner) here in Arizona and was really impressed with the surgeon and the program. I went in thinking I was interested in the Lap-Band, but came away thinking I may want the GBP instead. How did you all come to the decision of the Lap-Band and why?

Thanks, Lisa

I have to say I went in thinking GBP at first since I had so much to lose (240 lbs) but when I took all my history & concerns into my surgeon and he sat with me (I'm talking one on one) and gave me all the information, his thoughts and the choice of either option. He gave me such support and his blessing that Lap Band could work for me that I took this information to heart and made my choice. He told me it would take much longer since one it was difficult for me get a good physical program in place the first year due to my large size and weight problem. Now that I'm down in weight I'm able to do more physical activity and the pounds are coming off at about 3-4 lbs a week. I need to update my ticker. I'm at perfect restriction and I feel awesome!! I'm so happy with my choice and it's up to you to decide, ask your doctor get all the facts and make the choice. I have a few friends who have the GBP after 4 years and now are gaining some weight back (30-40 & even 50 lbs) and have made comments that they wish they had a band to adjust to help them with this rebounding weight. Not to say I won't have any in the end but I have an option of adjustments to help with this in the end!! We have had conversations about if GBP patients can ge the lap Band on top of there surgery to help ... As of right now I have heard no. Hope this helps and remember what ever you decide you're going to be a weight loss winner and be healthier and happier than ever.

Cynthia

My mom, sister-in-law, and a friend had all had GBP. Two them have since gained the weight back. My mom didn't gain the weight back, but her intestines got screwed up and she's sick EVERY day of her life. She's 10 years out, still skinny, but always either throwing up, stuck (in her intestines), or diarrhea.

I liked the fact that the risks were low with the lapband, it's adjustable, and doesn't change your intestinal tract at all. So no problem with malabsorbtion and other problems. My mom can't even absorb many of her medications which further complicates her health.

At the end of the day you have to do what you think is right for you and what you think you can live with.

Best of luck to you.

There was a discussion last week you may find interesting if you can ignore the bickering. Here is the thread:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f178/please-help-98595/

My decision was pretty simple. The original time I was researching weight loss surgery it was over 4 years ago and lap band was new. In doing my research back then I saw that LB was done laproscopically. Which I know they do GB that way now but they didn't at the time. I also like the fact that my weight loss is much slower with LB then it would have with GB. I didn't wanna have to worry about a bunch of excess skin. Then there was the whole cutting and rerouting stuff and I was not comfortable with that at all nor did I want to deal with any of the complications from GB. I realize there can be complications from LB but I did not have any and the risk seemed much lower. IT may not be like that now but back when I 1st researched LB it was. So that was why I chose LB. Even when I decided I was ready I never went back and researched GB I knew I did not want that.

I never even considered the bypass as the idea of permanently changing my body, facing malnutrition and losing my hair just did not appeal to me. I have not been banded yet, but for me it is the only option.

I think the decision is different for each person and what your surgeon recommends. For me the band seem to be the best option because I am so young and was what my parents thought would be better.

Both of my parents and three others in my family have had GBP and some of the problems that come with it were not what I wanted. My mother experienced the nutritional deficiencies and developed anemia as well as hair loss.

I think if you can get the same weight loss results without the other problems that is the best option.

Echoing others here--I like the fact that the band is easily taken out. If I have a complication that necessitates reversal, my physiology remains the same. My intestines and stomach weren't rearranged and/or resized.

Recovery time is faster because of the nature of the procedure--a band is slipped on, stitched a bit, and you're good to go. There's a lot more that needs to heal with a bypass, even if it is done lapriscopically.

It's adjustable. Not enough restriction? More Fluid. Too much restriction? Less Fluid. I don't have a pouch that remains the same (or is perfect at first and then stretches out).

No dumping. No malabsorption. Slower (many say healthier) weight loss.

However, most of the people who have bypass swear by it and are glad they didn't go with the band. You just need to discuss it with your surgeon and decide what is right for you with his/her help!

Edited by thebandedgirl
I don't know how to type...