Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It hurts whenever I eat. Help?

I was banded 3/6/09. I've lost about 45 pounds, but I've been stalled the last few weeks. Last week, I started re-doing my laundry room, so I was doing some pretty intensive labor - sweaty, hot, etc. Well, when I stopped to take a break, I opted for a cheese snack and it hurt. I stopped then tried again in an hour or so - same thing. I've noticed that since that day, it hurts every time I eat. There's no PB, it just hurts like a mild stuck. It happens every time I eat Breakfast or lunch. By dinner, I'm ok. Anyone have this or know what it is?

I was banded 3/6/09. I've lost about 45 pounds, but I've been stalled the last few weeks. Last week, I started re-doing my laundry room, so I was doing some pretty intensive labor - sweaty, hot, etc. Well, when I stopped to take a break, I opted for a cheese snack and it hurt. I stopped then tried again in an hour or so - same thing. I've noticed that since that day, it hurts every time I eat. There's no PB, it just hurts like a mild stuck. It happens every time I eat breakfast or lunch. By dinner, I'm ok. Anyone have this or know what it is?

Edit: I'm wondering ... could it be that I need a fill? I'm thinking maybe things that used to sit in the pouch are now passing through, and it hurts on the way down. Is that possible?

Are you getting enough Water in? Try getting 8-16 oz before you eat in the am. And no....fills don't really work that way, I don't think. You don't need to be "tighter" so it won't hurt. I think you just got hot sweaty dried out and need hydration...just a guess though. NOT a medical opinion! :cool2: But that would explain why in the am and lunch it hurts, by pm you're "ok"...because you drink and hydrate as you go through the day. So get going early on fluids (I love coffee but don't count it, ok? if you indulge. Have plain old water)

And of course call your doc if in doubt.

Edited by RestlessMonkey

Well well.. it seems you were totally RIGHT!! I started drinking Water in large amounts earlier today, and by lunch time I was able to eat a whole can of tuna and an ounce of cheese with no pain. As a matter of fact, I was so excited to be eating "normally" that I might have eaten a little past full. But believe me the "stuffed" feeling was way better than the pain I had been having. I'll be more careful of course, but gosh darn it was good to eat lunch!!

Yay 4 water!! :cool2:

Are you getting enough Water in? Try getting 8-16 oz before you eat in the am. And no....fills don't really work that way, I don't think. You don't need to be "tighter" so it won't hurt. I think you just got hot sweaty dried out and need hydration...just a guess though. NOT a medical opinion! :smile: But that would explain why in the am and lunch it hurts, by pm you're "ok"...because you drink and hydrate as you go through the day. So get going early on fluids (I love coffee but don't count it, ok? if you indulge. Have plain old water)

And of course call your doc if in doubt.

I am SO SO GLAD!!!! I asked my surgeon why sometimes restriction is so "psycho" and he said "mostly hydration" ...I had asked for another "friend" who posts on here and was just at her wit's end. It really changed her band life but I am always reluctant to put it out there...it's such an easy fix to such a nasty problem!

I am so glad it helped you! :cool2:

I start each day now with 16 oz of Water...BEFORE my coffee. My band is calm and docile all day long! :smile: I mean, it works, but it doesn't turn on me when I least expect it!

Edited by RestlessMonkey

That is good to know about drinking more Water. The last couple of days I got up and ate breakfast first. I got that "stuck" feeling.

I used to get up, drink my Water, wait 30 mins and then eat breakfast. Water first from now on!!!

Water first in the AM AND throughout the day! :cool2: Makes a big difference, doesn't it?