Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SCARY About to have it done.....CDB

Just about saved the money up, planning on going with CDB in October

Thought I'd researched it all but just found out you need to inject yourself afterwards and they only give you half of the infections you need.

Is that true? :cool2:

CDB seems good, any comments or advice would be great

Cheers :smile:

I don't honestly know what you are talking about. Inject yourself with WHAT? LOL Some few people who are at increased risk (I assume) do lovenox or heparin injections for a period post op to ensure they don't get clots. I have no idea if their insurance covers but I'd assume so. If you are self pay then I'd assume that would be included. Many many bandsters (me included) did not need to do this.

Is that what you mean? If not, I have no clue....need data! :biggrin:

im not really sure i know what you mean either? inject yourself meaning do your own fills? or treatment with a blood thinner? i never had to have that either.

and i might worry about a surgeon that would only give you half of something you need. maybe you can be more specific so we can help point you in the right direction.

I don't honestly know what you are talking about. Inject yourself with WHAT? LOL Some few people who are at increased risk (I assume) do lovenox or heparin injections for a period post op to ensure they don't get clots. I have no idea if their insurance covers but I'd assume so. If you are self pay then I'd assume that would be included. Many many bandsters (me included) did not need to do this.

Is that what you mean? If not, I have no clue....need data! :tongue2:

My surgeon has all patients, whether lap band or by-pass, self-inject Lovenox twice a day for 7 days after being discharged from the hospital. As I said in another post, this is the only thing so far about the whole process that is creeping me out. I am assuming that my insurance will cover the cost of this drug....will let you know, I plan to pick it up from the pharmacy after work.

Since cashcow never answered, we don't really know what the surgeon plans on being self injected...we assume lovenox but it could be something else, actually.

Having to inject lovenox post op is rare. It does happen, but it's not the norm for most surgeons/patients.

I had to inject myself once a day, for 7 days after surgery, with Lovenox. It wasn't creepy or difficult. Both of my parents are physicians so they showed me how to do it the first 3 days and then I did it myself for the remainder of the time. I also had the option of having a nurse come to my apartment (everyday if I wanted) to help me with that (and anything else I needed). Recovery was very easy so they only ended up coming once, right after I was discharged from the hospital (but they didn't give me the shot...my mom was still here so she did it). This service was also completely covered by insurance, so if you are concerned about injecting yourself you should ask about that to see if it is part of what your insurance pays for. If you ask the nurse in the hospital to show you what you need to do before you leave, you shouldn't have a problem doing it yourself (or if you REALLY don't want to, a friend or spouse can help you).

Also, I had more than enough Lovenox (I had 4 doses left at the end of my injections). You can't procure injections without a script from your doctor thus he will provide you with everything you need (otherwise there is no way for you to get it). He may just mean that you'll need to fill the prescription yourself (i.e. he won't physically hand you the box of injections, you'll need to get it yourself from the pharmacy). Generally, there will be a pharmacy in the hospital which can fill this for you.

Thanks for the info, violinist. I got a little demo yesterday at my appointment. They wrote a prescription which I do have to get filled at my local pharmacy. I just called Rite Aid, my out of pocket cost will be $45.00 for 14 doses of Lovenox.

Sorry to "hijack" this thread. I was just surprised about this yesterday as I had not read anything about it and got a little excited when I found a thread that even potentially touched on the topic. Restless, I respect your opinion a lot, I am wondering as a nurse whether you think it is a good thing or a bad thing for a doctor to require this of all surgical patients? My sense is that you don't think it is such a great idea.

My surgeon requires all his patients to do self injections of lovenox for 10 post op. This creeped me out too but they showed me how to do it before I left the hospital. The needles are really small and they have me do it in the belly where there is not as much feeling. I am still in the process of doing it and it has not been as bad as I thought it would be. They don't hurt at all. My insurance did pay for the prescription than goodness because it was over $300.

Hi Dr Cdb

Will give u a discharge pack Containing 5 injections I think it's heparin (to prevent clots) u will also pain relief and anti sickness tabs. Injections r no big deal( it's alright saying that when ur past that stage . No honestly the needle is really thin and small u inject into ur tummy,thigh or bottom I didn't even feel it . It will leave a small bruise due to blood thinning. I only did it for 3 days :tongue2: