Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emotional teeter totter pre-surg?

I start my pre-op diet tomorrow, with surgery on 8/6. 90% of the time I know this is the absolute right decision for me, the other 10%, I am scared to death.

Sometimes I look forward to having the tool... other times I beat myself up for being "weak" and not being able to do it without...

Has anyone else had these somewhat schizophrenic thoughts?

I understand how you feel. I have my surgery next Monday 7/27 and I'm excited but eating lots. My doctor doesn't require a pre-surgery diet. I'm getting surgery with Dr. Atkinson in Las Vegas. I'm trying to think a year or two out and how happy I'll be I had this done - also I have health issues, type II diabetes, high blood pressure which I'm hoping surgery will help. Good luck.

Colleen W.

I'd think it's a safe bet we all went through this from one extent to another. I know I argued with myself so much I had to send my id to time-out lol.

Just come up with a mantra you can repeat when your id starts the arguement 'but do you really....', "YES, I do, I know this is right for me and I'm excited!" :-) Good Luck to you.

I got past the "surgery is weak" thing WAY before I got to the point you're at. Firstly, diet and exercise work for about 5% of the obese population. I don't know about you but those are dismal odds; I wouldn't place money on a bet like that. Further, do you think pacemaker patients think "wait, wait, my heart should beat on it's own. This is CHEATING I am WEAK" uh, no.

Medicine has failed the obese. Right now, surgical intervention is the best treatment (check the stats). I got tired of doing the same thing (dieting) and expecting a different result.

So take a deep breath and calm your inner voice. This isn't the "weak" way out. This way takes courage.

I am having my surgery on Tuesday 7/28 and I feel exactly like you do. I almost backed out a couple of times. Once I found out my insurance approved me I made up my mind I was going to do it. I know this surgery is the only hope I have of getting all of my weight off. It is just scary because we are heading in to the unknown. We don't know what being banded is going to be like for us. We can read all the posts we want to and we will not know until we are living it. I went to my surgeon with my concerns and he said " I am not going to talk you into surgery. All I can do is give you statistics and anyone can lose weight with diet and excersise but only 5% will be succesful at keeping it off." With the band we have a very good chance of losing weight and keeping it off. I have a good friend that decided to get lapband and she never read a message board, never did any research she just decided to have surgery and she knew it was going to work. She never had a doubt. Since January she has lost almost 100 lbs. I know you and I will be succesful. We just need to get this surgery over with so we can get on to losing weight!

Flowerchild - Thanks for the reply - you have given me some good reasons not to be afraid .. I think to myself this is a great tool and I will be lucky to have it. How can I otherwise day after day eat small enough meals to continue to lose weight ... after all, it's been over 20 years for me that I have been overweight and I haven't lost it yet. I know if I don't have surgery I will be this big or bigger next year ... let the dieting begin!!! ColleenW

I was just like you and it is so very like most everyone on this forum. I went from should I do this to what am I thinking right up to and on the day of surgery. It is a difficult decision but one I made so I could enjoy the rest of my life in a more healthy and positive way and not sit on the sidelines. I am so very glad I did. It was worth it.

So take a deep breath and calm your inner voice. This isn't the "weak" way out. This way takes courage.

Monkey- This really is a great message. Almost brought me to tears. :biggrin:

I got past the "surgery is weak" thing WAY before I got to the point you're at. Firstly, diet and exercise work for about 5% of the obese population. I don't know about you but those are dismal odds; I wouldn't place money on a bet like that. Further, do you think pacemaker patients think "wait, wait, my heart should beat on it's own. This is CHEATING I am WEAK" uh, no.

Medicine has failed the obese. Right now, surgical intervention is the best treatment (check the stats). I got tired of doing the same thing (dieting) and expecting a different result.

thanks so much for posting this! i was thinking the same thing. and now i feel so much more calmer about my choice to have the lapband thanks again

Well, this is my first post. I have been reading the blogs on this site for several months now, but no courage to post. This one really got to me. I agree with babyka16 that what restlessmonkey said about it taking courage -- that is the truth and it about brought me to tears also. I'm scheduled for lapband this Friday, 7/31/09. It has been a long process and these last few days I have battled the "mind-thing" of "you could have done this on your own if you had really tried". Well, I have REALLY TRIED, lots of times, and I need this "tool" to help me. I look forward to my future now.... turned 50 last November and that is the year of Jubilee in the Bibe -- the year the prisoner goes free....

I'm glad I encouraged some of you...but hate to make you cry! :thumbup: You'll all love your bands, I'm sure of it! :lol:

Hi! What you are feeling is totally normal! I went through the same thing. I even took the time to write out a pro/con list, which was really helpful. I looked at it whenever I was doubting my decision, since it set out all of the facts plainly and made it plain to me that getting banded was the right thing for me.

If you want to see the list, you can find it here: Chronicles from Band Land: Reflections on my Pre-Op Journal. I'm sure you've got your own pros & cons, but writing them out can be a big help!

Best wishes,

Catherine