Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I have been peeking in at the site since I started seriously pursuing the banding in April.

I was banded on Monday 9/19 and am feeling pretty good. I am in an unusual position, having ulcerative colitis - which is why I chose the band over bypass.

I have some questions.

Just wondering why you all chose banding over bypass

and.....how long is typical until the first fill? I have a post op class and post op dr appt next week. but am looking forward to my first fill.

last - how much weight loss is "typical" in the first 4 months? I have a big family event and want to buy new smaller clothes (in mid dec) is this realistic.

ps - how do you put the scale thing tracking your progress at the bottom?

Thanks for your posts, they are all awesome!!

Hello and welcome to LBT! Feel free to read through all of the old posts and ask any additional questions that you need answering.

I chose the band over bypass because the thought of dying in my 20s wasn't real appealing to me, and I knew I wanted more children too. And I wanted to be around to see my children grow up and marry themselves.

Best wishes to you, and enjoy the site!

thanks dylansmom,

my sister had the bypass almost 2 years ago and has lost about 200 lbs, (she was about120lbs bigger than me to start), but because of the colitis I felt the band was safer, there was a big chance I would wind up malnourished, and have traded one life threatning problem for another. I want to be an old lady with my great grandkids too.

I was banded on 8-15, and my doctor won't give me a fill until the first week in Oct. I need one as I feel I have no restriction. I guess each doctor is different....

I chose the band because there was no slicing & dicing of internal organs, it's adjustable, reversible, and much safer. Plus the data that shows that band patients lose just as much as bypass patients if you look 2-3 yrs out. I've heard so many horror stories of RNY gone bad that there's no way I would have chosen that route -- at least, not at the weight I was when I chose the lapband. If anything would have gone wrong, I knew I would not have been able to forgive myself for putting my husband and toddler daughter through it.

Most docs won't fill for at least 6 weeks after surgery -- our bodies need time to heal. But every doc is different.

I think weight loss during the first few months is typically much less than after you get to your sweet spot on fills which might take awhile. I'm almost a month out and haven't lost much. (most of my loss on my ticker was pre-surgery). Although I have seen that some people have had a big loss during the liquid phase. I sure didn't. smile.gif

Go to tickerfactory.com and walk through the steps, then copy the code from the first section into your signature box (use the "User CP" in the upper right to get to the signature area). I'm sure there are detailed directions somewhere around here on the board. smile.gif

Congrats on getting banded!

I am new to bandland as well. I did liquids for 2 weeks after the surgery and have to do another 2 weeks of liquids. My doctor will not do a fill for 10 weeks from my surgery date. I am soooooo sick of liquids but my 2 weeks did go by fast and I am hoping the next 2 weeks are even faster. I am ready for some pureed foods. Good luck on your weight lost journey. Get plenty of Protein, rest, Water and excercise.

SW-240

CW-225

GW-150