Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How soon post-op can I start exercising?

I hate to exercise because I don't like to sweat but I took the advise of some of you here and started to do an exercise I like that didn't seem like exercise. I started to walk. Not fast mind you but I have been able to trim off the pounds 1-2 at a time doing this.

Now, I go to my surgeon tomorrow to get my surg date and I want to know barring any complications how soon I might get back to my walking routine.

What did some of you do and how soon after surg did you get started?

I'm getting more excited by the day!!! :D

A bit scared too :thumbup:

Sounds like you are all atwitter! I think we all have been there. Excited and scared.

The more excersize you do prior will only be that much better for you after surgery. I started "exercising" the day after surgery (I slept most the the day of). I walked 10 min at a time on the treadmill and paced/lapped the house. Nothing strenuous but I wanted to get my body moving.

Talk to your doc. Don't push yourself hard and heavy at first. This is surgery and your body will need to heal. The weight will come off...and maybe faster than you think at first.

Thanks for the advise Ann. I don't think I'll power walk or anything but I did want to continue what I started so as not to revert back to my object hatred of exercise, which unfortunately wouldn't be hard to do at all.

I guess I'll do like you did and take it slow and start walking day one. Who knows walking might even help the healing process as long as I don't ever-do.

The weight will come off...and maybe faster than you think at first.

BOY, DO I HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT!!! :thumbup:

I started walking the day after surgery. The sooner you start to be active the better. At first it was to the end of the driveway and then to the end of the block and so on. I'm up to 2.5 miles a day 5 weeks post op and am waiting to be cleared to do more than just walk. My surgeon said only walking cuz he wanted my ab muscles to heal completely.

Cant wait to get back in spin class :thumbup:

I took a walk the day I had surgery .... down my driveway, to the end of the street, and back. The next day, I walked a little further. Walking as soon as you can get out the door will help with gas and get you back to your previous level quickly. Do what feels okay and don't push yourself beyond what you feel up to on any given day.

I too began walking just hours out of surgery. As I felt better I walked longer and faster. Good luck!

I GOT MY SURG DATE!!!!

It is Aug.6, 2009. My surgeons office will call me with the time. Since I have already lost 19 pounds he told me to continue doing what I am doing and for now. I am surg ready. That was good news!

How about that Donna, I too am a RN (retired). However this surg is about me so I am like a baby in the woods and I'm not a good-caregiver for myself. I took care of my Mom until she died 2 yrs ago and now my youngest sister is ill and I'm her primary care giver as well. I just wish I were a better care giver for myself.

I posted a tread about a month ago about how I hated exercise and asked if it were mandatory for weight loss with the band and after hearing almost everyone say a resounding, YES!! I decided to start walking and found that I like it. I do sweat a bit but somehow I don't mind it much.

I'm getting more excited by the day!

Thx everyone!