Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Feel like I am a loser at this, but not the biggest loser!

Hi all,

I was banded on 7/27/05, in Mexico. Lost 12 lbs in the first 2 weeks. Once I started eating, I felt like I am eating less than before, but I can eat a good amount. Now I am practically 2 months post-op, and the scale is only 10 lbs down (gained back 2 lbs!

First fill is Monday--a bit of anxiety about that! But also, I feel like most people would have lost a lot more at this point. I haven't made the time to exercise in the last 2 months--would that have made all of the difference? I had really hoped to be down 20 lbs by my first fill. Any input? Anyone else with a similar experience? Will they give me a bad time when I go in for my fill?

Thanks--Barbara

Hi Barbara,

You lost 20 lbs in the past two months GOOD JOB !!!

Yes exercise does make a difference. Building muscle will also help you burn calories.

I'm sure getting a fill will help as well but in the mean time start planning an exercise schedule that you can stick to... you don't have to run 10 miles but start out slow like maybe walking 1/2 a mile a day and then trying to add a little more each week or so. If you don't have weights at home, grab 2 can's of Soup or veggies and while your watching TV do some arm exercises with them. Just remember this is not a race... slow and steady is GOOD !!!

HUGS and GOOD LUCK !!!

Barbara, even if I'm reading your weight loss differently and you've only lost a net 10 lbs in the last two months, that's 10 lbs that you DON'T HAVE anymore! That's great progress without a fill and you've got a great jump start now.

Your band is not designed to work without an appropriate fill. Most people experience little or no restriction until they have had one or more adjustments. Many people don't lose any weight before their first fill, and some gain. You're ahead of the game and doing great!!

Oh Jigglypuff! I feel your pain. But please repeat after me : "the time before the fill is for healing not weight loss." Any weight loss before your fill is Bonus! And I don't think it's uncommon for people to gain a few pounds before their first fill, I know I gained back 5 pounds.

We do not lose at the same rate as RNY folks. Heck, we don't even lose the same rate within our group! I know it's really hard to sit there and feel like everybody on the planet is losing weight with their band when you feel like you are not.

Okay, repeat this after me too "I am not a failure. I am a wonderful person and deserve the best the Universe has to offer."

GIRRRRRRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL! We must be twins - welcome to my club. Let me tell you about my situation. May 24th, Lost 8lbs out of surgery but gained 4lbs back before my 1st fill on July 7. 1st fill didn't do too much for me but ended up able to lose 1lb before my 2nd fill on August 31st - then I was too tight and I lost 3 lbs in 2 days. He then had to unfill me .5cc thus bringing me back to the original 8lbs lost. I think i may have lost a couple more pounds in the last few weeks but I don't keep scales at home or I'd be obsessed with them. I think I will schedule another fill in another 4-6 weeks and I'll check in and let you know if my last fill did anything for me. I too have not had the motivation to do more excercise - I was wanting the weight loss to be my motivation and since that hasn't really happened yet. One thing I have started doing - its small but a start. I park at the end of parking lots and make myself walk the length to whatever store I'm going in. Gotta start somewhere - I also just ordered a fabulous new dvd I will recommend it's called JUST MY SIZE YOGA which came out this past year. It's a plus size instructor who does it for plus size women. I also recommened Tai Chi and Qiqong - these are mental & physical breathing techniques and moves etc to right your whole body - not just physically - I can tell you the specific ones if your interested in the Tai Chi and Qiqong - I haven't actually started using them yet but I ordered them off Amazon and they are on the way. The plus size yoga came highly recommended for fluffy girls who don't excercise - which is MEE!!!! I'm afraid to do anything more as my boyfriend doesn't know CPR - gotta start somewhere and parking further from the store is how I'm starting! Yoga is the next and then the tai chi and qiqong after i can get my stamina up I have Budokon which is a higher intensity workout of martial arts, yoga & meditation - I'm actually pretty excited!

DON,T WORRY BE HAPPY! iTS A START, WE ALL START SOME WHERE......iT TAKES TIME

JUST HANG IN THERE. EXERCISE WILL HELP EVEN IF YOU JUST WALK!

GOOD LUCK & WITH YOUR FILL.JOHN

Jigglypuff I'm with you! I have been searching the site for someone who was having the same situation as me. I too was banded in August and lost 15 pounds. Now that I am eating regularly I can tell that I am eating too much. Not as much as before but still too much. I am afraid of gaining some of my weight back. Today was my first day of exercise and it felt great. Do whatever it takes to do some type of exercise. Make tomorrow the day. Even if it is walking to the end of the block it is more than before. For the first time I am beginning to think about getting a fill. Before I was afraid. But now I see it as necessary. Good luck! You can do it (We all can).