Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

weird feeling when I breath but not painful

I am two weeks post-op and have noticed that sometimes when I take a deep breathe I can "feel" something under my left breast. I don't mean physically feel with my fingers. About a week ago it was much worse and couldn't really walk on the treadmill because I could really feel it then. It doesn't hurt. It is just a weird tightness or pulling feeling. I do feel like it has gotten better since a week ago so that gives me hope but I still worry about it. I am seeing the doctor tomorrow but feel like he will just make up an answer so I am asking if anyone else has felt this. Is it a normal part of healing? The people that I know that have had the lap band put in say that they CAN'T feel anything when they breath so that is what worries me the most. Help?

IF you think your doc will just "make up an answer", why on earth did you trust him with your life on the operating table, I wonder? I am not being nasty, either....if you don't trust him, FIND ANOTHER DOC!

This is something that may need to be addressed.

well I went to the doctor today and they said that my "feeling" underneath my left breast might still be gas. I hope that that is what it is and I thought that that is what they would say. Again, has anyone else had this feeling?

What do you think it is? if not gas?

I am not sure but it feels like something is there...but not all the time. Like a tube or something? It almost feels like I have an underwire bra on, but I don't. I feel it with or without a bra on. I hope it is gas but it is hard to imagine that gas would feel like this. My doctor felt under my breast and that didn't hurt so it must be inside. The doctor told me to keep taking gas-x and maybe a mild laxative. I hadn't been doing that ever since my left shoulder quit hurting 5 days after my operation. I hope it works but I hate to think that I am the only one in the world with this feeling. I would like to know that it will go away and I will feel normal again.

Gas feels odd like that, especially when you are feeling it in a place where you don't usually, if that makes sense? Did you describe it to your doc as you just did to me?

May I suggest you try what he says, at least over the weekend (as long as it isn't getting worse).

If it's not better by Monday, call him back, tell him you've been doing what he wants and it's still happening.

You are very newly post op and things are still healing. You may have some adhesions that are tugging a little. Just live normally, take the meds he described, see how you feel on Monday. If it isn't really painful (and doesn 't get that way) it's most likely your body just fussing a little at what you "did".

Thank you for taking an interest. That is what I'll do. Thanks again.

Sure! Hopefully his advice will do the trick and it will go away! :thumbup:

Okay, I am now about 2 1/2 weeks post-op and this pain still hasn't gone away. I am now 100% sure that it isn't gas pain. If my pain is right under my left breast could it be my actual band that is hurting? Or maybe the muscle around there? I ask because the pain is just left of my top incision and others on this board mentioned something about that area needing time to heal. How long has it taken most of you to feel "normal" again? And have you had similar pain around this area? I guess I will keep asking until I find someone that can help me out. I am getting a little scared. It hurts the most when I try to stretch. I still can't stand up completely straight. Help?

Where is your port?

My port is right in the middle of my uppper abdomen. BUT my band should be under my left breast...right? That is what someone else said on this board and is what got me thinking that that is what hurts somehow.

The band is around your stomach centered midline in your torso. It's probably a couple fingers below your xiphoid process (tip of your sternum, below your breasts)

so no, the band isn't on your left. For some of us the port is there (mine is) your's apparently is on the right.

(google anatomy and check out the stomach and that will give you a visual)

I think honestly you need to not fret about it. If you're really worried have your doc do some tests.

Because my port is on the left, as I healed (and it takes a LONG time to heal...6 weeks or more) I could occasionally feel twinges. Since it's sewn into the muscle I didn't think it was any big deal. Since your port is on the right (you are sure? or guessing?) the left pain can't be your port...but it has only been a couple weeks. If you have no fever, if it isn't sore to palpation (touch) and the area looks ok, it's probably nothing but ask your surgeon if you are in doubt.

The stomach DOES curve to the left but the band should be placed superior to the curve and still be midline....or just BARELY to the left. (just want to make sure I tell you the right thing) But still ask your doc if in doubt. It's impossible to diagnose over the internet and besides...I am not a doc or a surgeon, just another bandster. I think I've given you accurate info but YOU are the final authority on yourself. If you think something is wrong, it may very well be. Push your doc for answers.