Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Serious Health Warning

I have checked the web site and spoke to my family Dr and confirmed this to be a valid warning so I am passing it on to you.

Not stated in this pre-prepared post but you will see it in the web posting is the fact this drug is in decongestants and also in many weight control drugs.

This is the warning I received:

All drugs containing PHENYLPROPANOLAMINE are being recalled.

You may want to try calling the 800 number listed on most

drug boxes and inquire about a REFUND. Please read this

CAREFULLY. Also, please pass this on to everyone you know.

STOP TAKING anything containing this ingredient. It has been

linked to increased hemorrhagic stroke (bleeding in brain)

among women ages 18-49 in the three days after starting use

of medication. Problems were not found in men, but the FDA

recommended that everyone (even children) seek alternative

medicine.

The following medications contain Phenylpropanolamine:

Acutrim Diet Gum Appetite Suppressant

Acutrim Plus Dietary supplements

Acutrim Maximum Strength Appetite Control

Alka-Seltzer Plus Children's Cold Medicine Effervescent

Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold medicine ! (cherry or orange)

Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold Medicine Original

Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough Medicine Effervescent

Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Flu Medicine

Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Sinus Effervescent

Alka Seltzer Plus Night-Time Cold Medicine

BC Allergy Sinus Cold powder

BC Sinus Cold powder

Comtrex Flu Therapy & Fever Relief

Day & Night Contac 12-Hour Cold Capsules

Contac 12 Hour Caplets

Coricidin D Cold, Flu & Sinus

Dexatrim Caffeine Free

Dexatrim Extended Duration

Dexatrim Gelcaps

Dexatrim Vitamin C/Caffeine Free

Dimetapp Cold & Allergy chewable Tablets

Dimetapp Cold & Cough Liqui-Gels

Dimetapp DM Cold & Cough Elixir

Dimetapp Elixir

Dimetapp 4 Hour liquid Gels

Dimetapp 4 Hour Tablets

Dimetapp 12 Hour Extentabs Tablets

Naldecon DX Pediatric Drops

Permathene Mega-16

Robitussin CF

Tavist-D 12 Hour Relief of Sinus & Nasal

Congestion

Triam! inic DM Cough Rel! ief

Triaminic Expectorant Chest & Head

Tr! iaminic Syrup Cold & Allergy

Triaminic Triaminicol Cold & Cough .....

I just found out and called the 800# on the container

for Triaminic and they informed me that they are voluntarily

recalling the following medicines because of a certain

ingredient that is causing strokes and seizures in children:

Orange 3D Cold & Allergy Cherry (Pink)

3D Cold & Cough berry

3D Cough Relief Yellow 3D Expectorant

They are asking you to call them at 800-548-3708 with

the lot number on the box so they can send you postage for you

to send it back to them, and they will also issue you a

refund. If you know of anyone else with small children,

PLEASE PASS THIS ON. THIS IS SERIOUS STUFF!

DO PASS ALONG TO ALL ON YOUR MAILING LIST so people are

informed. They can then pass it along to their families.

To confirm these findings please tak! e time to check the

following:

http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/ppa/

PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO YOUR CHILDREN IN CASE THEY GIVE IT TO THEIR CHILDREN OR TO FRIENDS WHO HAVE CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN.

Although this was true in 2000, this information is VERY outdated. I am sitting here with two bottles of Dimetapp and none has PPA.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/drugs/ppa.asp

The list of products cited in the <NOBR>e-mail</NOBR> quoted above is now several years out of date, and as the FDA has noted:

[T]here is no comprehensive, updated list available from FDA. FDA is aware of emails circulating widely that list many products allegedly containing PPA. Those emails are no longer valid and should be ignored. Please read the labels of OTC products to determine if they contain PPA.

The FDA has set up a toll-free number for PPA questions at (888) <NOBR>INFO-FDA.</NOBR> A direct line, although it is not toll-free, is (301) <NOBR>827-4570.</NOBR> The FDA also has a Phenylpropanolamine (PPA) Information page available on their web site. The FDA has advised that consumers go through their medicine cabinets, paying special attention to cold remedies and diet aids, and discard any medications that list phenylpropanolamine as one of their ingredients.

According to the FDA, "Although the risk of hemorrhagic stroke is very low, FDA recommends that consumers not use any products that contain PPA." The FDA warning came as a result of a May 2000 study conducted at Yale University School of Medicine, in which the Hemorrhagic Stroke Project found PPA to increase the risk of hemorrhagic stroke, a type of stroke characterized by bleeding in the brain. In October 2000, an FDA advisory committee confirmed the findings in the Yale study published by The New England Journal of Medicine, which suggested that PPA could raise the risk of stroke even in young people aged 18 to 49.

(Not everyone is convinced that PPA poses nearly as much of a threat to consumers as claimed, and some critics have maintained the withdrawal was initiated by an overly cautious FDA based on flawed studies.)

Njchick,

Thank you for your updated information. As you can see by my signature below I'm not always up to speed.

I had just received this e-mail my self and after a quick review of the web site and a call to my Dr that there was the concern I posted it. I have gone back and re-read the entire site and see that you are correct. I apologize for the quick posting. I truely believe we should be as up to date as we can be and I failed here.

Thanks again for pointing it out so people have the correct information.

If this posting is reviewed by a moderator and they feel it should be removed because it is out of date I have no problem with that. Just hope all who viewed get a chance to see that its improper info at this time

Hey Greg... no need to appologize :D

I'm really glad you posted it because it made me get off my ass and look at the medicine I was giving my 4 year old. I thank you for that :)

I always have outdated medicine in my cabinet....this sort of stuff is good to know, even if its a reminder :D

lapbander, thanx so much for that important health info.!!! I have Robitussin cf, and as I am reading the ingredients right now, it does not contain PHENYLPROPANOLAMINE. The listed ingredients are as follows: DEXTROMETHORPHAN

USP

GUAIFENESIN

PSEUDOEPHEDRINE

And thanx to you also NJ CHICK!