Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm getting banded tomorrow and I was wondering if you lose you hair like to do with bypass surgery? My sister had bypass surgery about a year ago and has noticed that her hair has thinned. I know it's a side effect with bypass, is it the same with the band?

SOOOOOO EXCITED FOR TOMORROW!!:thumbup:

It is a possibility with the band but I believe we can control it a little more easily by getting in plenty of protein(at least 60G) and Vitamins (besides a daily,Biotin and B Vitamins could help as well)

Then again, some people lose due to the stress of the operation. There is little that can be done for that except give it time.

I lost for a while but it is all growing back now.

I began noticing Hair loss at 3 months after surgery. I have always gotten a good amount of Protein in so I think some people lose hair regardless, due to the operation, diet, stress, etc. It hasn't been huge amounts falling out or anything - I just notice more hair in the shower when I setp out and more hair in the sink when I do my hair in the morning. From what I hear it isn't permanent or long lasting, just another blip on the radar for some.

I'm getting banded tomorrow and I was wondering if you lose you hair like to do with bypass surgery? My sister had bypass surgery about a year ago and has noticed that her hair has thinned. I know it's a side effect with bypass, is it the same with the band?

SOOOOOO EXCITED FOR TOMORROW!!:thumbup:

From my understanding, gastric bypass patients have a degree of malabsorption due to the rerouting of the digestive tract. That loss of nutrients can contribute to the amount of Hair loss. With the band, there is no malabsorption, however, you are eating less and you your body did go thru the stress of surgery (as posted above), so it's possible to lose some hair, but it should begin to grow back. I do know hair tends to have a life cycle all it's own and does go thru periods where the loss seems greater than normal. Luckily, it's only temporary.

I take 5000mg of Biotin everyday along with a Multivitamin & Calcium supplement and have had no issues. Eat a well-balanced diet as much as you can should also help.

As emjay said, there is a cycle. If you do experience Hair loss, you will likely notice it at around 3 months. As long as you focus on getting proper nutrition it should stop within 3 months. Then as long as you are still watching your nutrition, you should begin to see regrowth within 3 months.

...also when you are allowed "full liquids" make suer to drink at lease one Protein Shake a day.... the nutritionist at my surgeons office warned me that if I dont, it can cause hairloss

I asked the nutrionist this on Wednesday at my appointment and she said in the 5 years she has been at my surgeons office she has never had anyone complain of hairloss with the lap band... So who knows, everyone is different.