Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurance problems, new poster here.

I am 6'0 and 360. 29 year old male. I have lost weight plenty of times in the past including with a personal trainer only to gain it back. Nothing new right? Well I have Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey. I called Dr David Geller's office in Louisville as a friend of mine recommended his office. They told me to get all these facts and questions answered before I could even get into a seminar. So ok, I call my insurance and they tell me flat out they don't do lap band surgeries. I'm thinking..."OK?" And I hang up. I call back later and get a different person and they say the same thing. After I question them why, he relents that they don't do it for people interested in improving their looks. So I'm under the assumption that they do it for health reasons. Well, I have type 2 diabetes, and high blood pressure, and am on meds for both. So I'm thinking that's good enough right? Well, I decide to check my insurance booklet. That was tough to get from work as well. But I finally got it. It's pretty much greek to me, but looks as if they don't cover gastric surgeries to lose weight at all. So I'm wondering, are these just barriers trying to prevent me from obtaining lap band? How can I find out 100% truthfully if they cover it or not?

I ran into the same thing with my insurance provider Kaiser Permenente. After self paying for the lap band surgery myself I learn that they do indeed cover it and I was given erroneous information. I have since filed a grievance with my provider and am waiting for the outcome. Funny thing is, they were really pushing the bypass which I am/was totally against. I think the reason is that the band takes much commitment to succeed whereas the bypass is a sure thing and doesn't require the adjustments/fills that the band does.

My advise to you.....keep pushing until you get your way.

Not sure how big your company is, but you might ask if you have an insurance broker... I work in HR, and sometimes, the insurance broker can get answers from the insurance company that I can't. If you work for a large company, this might be harder to do, than if it is a smaller company. For larger companies, it is usually up to the employer as to whether gastro surgery is covered.

My insurance has it excluded as coverage. I had to self pay. If it comes down to that, I would choose a dr that includes fills with his surgical fee.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Ladiva04

Hello,
      I had my surgery on the 25th of June of this year. Starting off at 117 kilos.😒
      · 1 reply
      1. NeonRaven8919

Congrats on the surgery!

• Sandra Austin Tx

I’m 6 days post op as of today. I had the gastric bypass 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • RacMag  »  bhogue925

Hi, I’m new here. I’m currently on the liver shrinking diet. So far so good, but I have to say I haven’t found a protein shake I like. Anyone have any suggestions please? My surgery date is September 17th. 
      · 2 replies
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Fairlife Core are by far the best. They taste just as they are - chocolate milk. You can either get the 26 grams or the 42 grams (harder to find and more expensive). For straight protein look at Bulksuppliments.com ..they have really good whey proteins and offer auto ship plus they test for purity. No taste or smell...

2. BlondePatriotInCDA

Fairlife has strawberry, vanilla and of course chocolate. No more calories than other protein drinks. Stay away from Premiere, they're dealing with lawsuits due to not being honest about protein content.

• Doctor-Links

HGH For Sale
      hgh for sale at our online pharmacy

Human growth hormone (HGH) is a small protein which is made in part of the brain called the pituitary gland. It travels in your bloodstream all over your body to make your body grow.
      HGH is very important in the body. It is needed for children to grow normally. It helps make sure there is enough muscle and fat in the body. It keeps our bones healthy.
      Buy Rybelsus online, Rybelsus tablets
      You can order for wegovy at our online pharmacy
      Check for the prices of 0.25mg, 0.5mg and 1mg at our online pharmacy and buy ozempic.
      · 0 replies
    • Doctor-Links

hgh kaufen  in unserer Online-Apotheke  
      Menschliches Wachstumshormon (HGH) ist ein kleines Protein, das in einem Teil des Gehirns, der Hypophyse, produziert wird. Es wandert in Ihrem Blutkreislauf durch Ihren ganzen Körper, um Ihren Körper wachsen zu lassen.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches