Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone ever had to gain weight in order to have the Lapband surgery.

Help, I am 5ft 9 1/2 inches in height. I weigh 230lbs. I was told that I needed to weigh at least 240lbs in order to have the surgery done. Do any of you know of any doctor that will give me the surgery at my current weight. I want to be at 170 lbs. I am 60 lbs from my ideal weight but 10 lbs from the lapband. Please help!

There are plenty of surgeons who will do "low BMI" surgeries. Not usually covered by insurance as most insurance has a "floor" or minimum BMI requirement. Be aware if you are considering gaining weight for insurance approval that many not only have a minimum BMI requirement but they may also require that you be at that BMI for a certain amount of time. A friend was denied coverage because while she was ath a BMI of 37 she had not been there for 18 months.

Yeah, your current BMI is around 34. I assume you have some comorbidities (weight related health problems like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes etc.) The typical guidelines are BMI of 35-40 with comorbidities or a BMI above 40 without comorbidities. Most insurance companies require this and many surgeons do as well. Not sure where you live but you could call around. I gained 9 pounds in order to be within the 40+ BMI category.

Edited by Jodi_620

Thanks. But this makes me so sad to hear. I don't have a problem with loosing weight, my problem is with keeping it off. I just don't know what to do at this point.

Mandie, you still don't say .... are you trying to do this under insurance or not? If yes, call your insurer and ask what their requirements are for coverage....is there a minimum BMI? Do you have to be at that BMI for a specific (and documented) period of time? Then you will know if you stand a chance of having this surgery covered by insurance.

If you are already planning on being self-pay, you have a lot more freedom. Just do as Jodi says ... call surgeons in your area and ask if they will perform the surgery at your current BMI.

I'm actually staying at my current weight to stay at 41 BMI because I don't have any other factors the BMI is my only reason. Plus I've been heavy for 30 years and havne't been able to loose the weight and keep it off. I just went to the doctor yesterday and they are sending it off for insurance approval. But I won't have a problem since I work for the hospital that the doctor works for. I'm just waiting now. I'm soooo excited!

Call your insurance company if your going through them or call around to different doctors.