Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Lap Band so I joined LBT

So after fighting with diets I have talked to my doctor about lap band. He is very supportive of the idea. Just to give you a run down:

age 29

6'5"

380lbs

45 BMI

Obstructive sleep Apnea

Highly sedentary job with little energy for exercise by the time I get home.

I'm beginning a 6 month physician supervised diet as per my insurance requirements. I am a little nervous about this as it will be my first surgery ever. I have never been opened up before. My goal is to lose 160. I also found out that my insurance is going to cover 100% so thats a relief.

Hello Vamag,

That is great that your insurance will cover 100% of the surgery. Just do the diet for 6 months and go for it! I waited almost a year before getting my approval. I was banded on 7/13/09 and have been so excited since. I had never been put under before and was incredibly nervous about it. They have these wonderful drugs to help you relax prior to surgery. Once in the OR, it is just a minute or two and then you are out like a light and will not remember a thing. It will be fine. Good luck to you!

Congratulations,^_^

Making that first step is the hardest. Six months will fly by before you know it. Focus on the diet for now because you will be setting yourself up to succeed and you'll be changing you're mind set also.

Congratulations! You have begun your journey to a happier, healthier you. You have youth on your side as weight seems to come off a little quicker at your age. I too had a sedentary life style prior to surgery but that has all changed for me now. I am 3 months post-op and have lost 54 pounds. I feel great and have so much energy. I work full time at a desk job and now go to the gym everyday after work. Some nights my husband and I ride our bicycles across town and back and then go swimming in our pool. I used to just go home after work and watch tv until bedtime. I haven't watched tv in 3 months. I love my new lifestyle and it helps the weight to come off quicker and at the same time I'm changing my lifestyle so I don't gain the weight back. I'm not gonna tell you I love going to the gym but I do love how I feel after I have worked out. Let yourself work past the sweat and short winded feeling and you will see what I am talking about. As I wind down for bed at night I think back on my day and all I have accomplished and I feel damn good! Be sure to find a good support group. I don't attend a support group persay, but the owner of the gym I go to and the people I have met there are great support for me. Best of luck to you on your journey and remember, failure is NOT AN OPTION.

You're the same height as my guy! I don't meet many people who are 6'5" :smile: Congratulations on your surgery and your insurance paying all of it, that's fantastic!

Donna, 54 pounds in three months! Wow, that's a lot!