Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

self pay should I do it???

Help!!! Just found out that I would have to self pay because I do not have two co-morbidities. LapBand really seems like a great tool. Just looking for info. Fear of something going wrong, however, I want to take the chance. Thanks

I was self pay, so far so good. But I think if I had to do it again I would have gone sleeve. I had my surgery in Mexico and it's terrible finding a after care Doctor that will treat Mexico patients at least where I live. I use Fill center USA for fills but mine doesn't have fluro. If something went wrong I guess I'd have to come up with the money to go all the way back to Mexico. But I will tell you that I love my band!

My insurance didn't cover it, so I financed my surgery through CareCredit. No regrets so far, but I've only been banded since June 18th :smile:

I went to Mexico to have it done (this is a good experience) and haven't had a fill yet. I did Mexico because I am self-pay also because my insurance will not pay for weight loss.

I will go back for at least my first fill, but I am sort of close and it's doable, then I will decide after my first fill whether I will go back to Mexico for the rest of the fills or try and find the fill center in Phoenix.

If you are willing to work with the band, not expect the band to do the work for you, do it. It is your choice.

Make sure you read all the "down side posts" before you spend the money.

ee

It probably depends on how ready you are to lose weight and make a change. Don't do it if you don't feel you're really ready to get the weight off (the band definitely doesn't do the work for you). Additionally, if you feel like you wouldn't be able to stick to the diet (pre-op, post-op, and lifestyle in general) then it might be risky to do it. If you didn't stick to your pre-op there is the risk you would go in for surgery and not get banded (because of the liver), if you cheat on post-op there is potential for band slippage. There is always the potential for the port to flip (requiring a small revision surgery) and there are also things that are out of your hands that could cause a band complication, for which you'd need a revisional surgery (which of course, you'd need to pay for). You'll also have to pay for any aftercare visits (doctor, fills, etc.).

Of course, you should probably just consider your financial situation. If you are able to do it, financially, without causing sever hardship to you (or your family) then do it. Personally, if insurance couldn't pay for my surgery I wouldn't have been able to do it because I just finished graduate school and have a boatload of loans to pay off. But if I were older and more established, maybe I could have handled it on my own. Its definitely based on your own personal financial situation (which no one here can advise you about).

Good luck no matter what you decide!

I was going to when I found out literally days before my seminar that my insurance had started 7/1/2008 covering the band retroactive to 1/1/08.

Some things I've learned since that might help:

1. SHOP AROUND....balance cost/benefits offered for cost/surgeon. Surgeons offer different benefits like 1 year free fills, lifetime free fills, (or none!) etc. Fills are VITAL and they can be pricey.

2. If you go away from home (to the next county or the next country) line up local aftercare. Fills are what make the band work, but aside from that, you may have issues that are easily treatable if caught early (like GERD, or a mild slip) and you'll need quick easy access to a surgeon. If you have to get time off work and fly 1000 miles to see if you have GERD you may put it off and many issues with the band, if caught quickly, can be easily resolved but if left untreated can cause a cascade of caca! and 3. Whichever surgeon you choose, research research research him/her, the facility, the band. There are threads on here that help.

Lastly; if you have ANY insurance, see if it will pay for complications/removal. That is something horrid we don't want to contemplate but sometimes the band isn't right, or we have a medical issue non-band related, or some such and you want to make sure you can get quick treatment.

Realize too that things can happen like ports tilting/flipping, bands leaking (very rare but possible) and so on. Make sure you're well informed, and find out what your surgeon will do if, say, your port tilts within the first year and you need a revision. Will s/he cover it?

Just some things to think about, that I know would've NEVER occurred to me before I got the band and spent a year on this board, reading and learning! :smile:

Good luck!

I am a self pay and in mexico right now. I go home tomorrow. I was banded on Thursday in Monterrey MX with Dr Rumbaut. My experience has been very good. I saved for my lapband for two years to come up with the money. In that time I read books on it, joined this website, and a local support group so I knew I was ready to make the change. I also found a dr who would see me locally for after care (that was a hard one!). I am so happy I made this choice. Even though Im in pain right now and cant eat anything but liquids for the past week, I still love my band! I hope to have a happy healthy lifetime with it! Just get that after-care lined up for sure!

How are you doing with your band?? I am on for 9/16, but getting nervous. I am self pay also and probably going to use care credit also.

I was banded in April of this year in Mexicali, Mexico and was self pay. It was a very pleasant experience. I wish I would have done more research and given more consideration to doing the sleeve but I am happy with my band.

I am in San Antonio,TX and I am interested in lap band in Monterrey MX. I am worried if I have it done there, will I be able to find care here in TX?

I am in San Antonio,TX and I am interested in lap band in Monterrey MX. I am worried if I have it done there, will I be able to find care here in TX?

I had no problem finding after care after surgery in Mexico, but I've heard many people here at LBT say that it is a problem. If I were you I would try and find a doctor to do follow-up before you have the surgery.