Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What if I get banded and I don't lose any weight?

Hi Everyone,

I'm Maggie. I'm going to be banded on July 27. Even though I know it's not logical to worry, I still am. What if after I'm banded and I do everything the way I'm supposed to: follow the new diet, do the exercise and follow up at the doc's like I'm supposed to, and I don't lose weight?

I guess what is making me think that is that I'm on the liquid pre-surgery diet right now. My doc told me that I would lose 20-30 pounds on it. Right now I'm holding at 12 pounds and I still have a week to go yet. I haven't lost anything this week at all. I have not cheated. I have done exactly as I am supposed to be doing. So I don't know what is wrong other than I need to exercise right now to get it moving.

I know that realistically if I do what they tell me the weight will come off. I'm just worried that what if I'm the one oddball that doesn't?

Just some pre-surgery jitters I'm sure, but I wondered if anyone else thought the same thing or is it just me?

It might be slow, but it will happen. There are definitely ways to cheat the band, and it's ultimately up to you what you make of it.

You'll have surgery, feel not good, then feel really good when you loose 15 pounds in a week, then feel not good when you don't loose anything for another 6 weeks until getting a fill, then it won't be enough of a fill, then you'll get another...

then eventually down the road it happens. Just be patient. It's different for everyone.

From what I've read here, this is a very normal and common fear. I know I had it. "What if I fail at this too?" I've lost 63 lbs so far.

Your weight loss will individual. But I would say if you follow the rules and do what your doc recommends...read all you can from the boards. You'll be fine and you will be a success. Right now, focus on the finish line not the many steps it takes to get there.

Yeah a lot of us think why will this work for me when nothing else has??

It will work don't worry it might be slow but u will lose.

Not to worry! Scientifically speaking, if you follow the rules and get an appropriate fill, you can't help but lose weight! I love my band -- it has made this process so much easier.

My loss has been slower than some, but I am still very thrilled. If I had spent the last 9 months un-banded, I'd probably be up at least 10 lbs from my starting point, instead of down more than 50!

Best of luck to you,

Catherine

I understand. I am going through the same thing. I was told I should lose 15-20 on the preop diet. I started on a Wednesday and lost 6 pounds by Sunday. But then Sunday to Thursday....nothing. It's so frustrating, especially when you are following everything exactly as instructed and not cheating but still not getting results.

One of my first thoughts was is this what the band will be like. Losing weight at first and then nothing after a month...

I called my doc and was told I am probably retaining Water for some reason and not to worry. Something that is easier said than done.

Bookworm, I have the same freak out thoughts...and I don't even have a surgery date yet. From what I've read in other posts, it seems pretty normal. And you know how tricky Water weight can be. It goes up, goes down, back up and then suddenly, you're down 5 pounds. Hang in there. Much luck and success to you!

TPG

Thanks, TPG! I hope you get a date soon!

I had the same thoughts because I was exercising and thought i was eating right and still not loosing before i got the band. I am diabetic (type 1) and listed all my concerns to the dr, still got the band and had about 5 fills and 1 year out and had only lost 30 pounds. I never had to do a presurgery diet though. Just wondering if there is anyone out there that can give me some advice on what they are doing to lose weight //// I dont drink with my meals I wait about 1-2 hours after and eat Protein first (nothing slimy to just slide down) I am really flustrated. Help:angry: Please

Hi Everyone,

I'm Maggie. I'm going to be banded on July 27. Even though I know it's not logical to worry, I still am. What if after I'm banded and I do everything the way I'm supposed to: follow the new diet, do the exercise and follow up at the doc's like I'm supposed to, and I don't lose weight?

I guess what is making me think that is that I'm on the liquid pre-surgery diet right now. My doc told me that I would lose 20-30 pounds on it. Right now I'm holding at 12 pounds and I still have a week to go yet. I haven't lost anything this week at all. I have not cheated. I have done exactly as I am supposed to be doing. So I don't know what is wrong other than I need to exercise right now to get it moving.

I know that realistically if I do what they tell me the weight will come off. I'm just worried that what if I'm the one oddball that doesn't?

Just some pre-surgery jitters I'm sure, but I wondered if anyone else thought the same thing or is it just me?

:thumbup:Most likely what is happening, is your body is trying to compensate for the weight you are losing, which means it is producing Fluid and muscle which weighs more that fat. I have learned over the course of MANY diets that you can stay on the scale. As women we have things happen to us at different times of the month no matter how old we are. More fluids less fluids. Your best bet is to measure yourself.. arms,thighs, waist, hips, even your neck, chances are you will see a difference there before you will on the scale. A scale can be a very depressing peice of machinery. A few years ago I was on the Atkins diet and for 2 months the scale didn't move, but my clothes were getting loose which logically told me that I was losing weight but because the scale didn't provide a certain number I would get depressed, which would make me want just give up. So I threw out the scale and only brought it out MAYBE once a month. So since you are on the Protein shakes your body is most likely burning fat and producing muscle. DON"T worry you are losing, hide your scale!!!!!!:biggrin: