Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Religion in Public

DeLarla

"One nation, indivisble, with liberty and justice for all."

More powerful.

I completely agree. This is the way EVERYONE in this amazing country can pledge their allegiance to our flag, and for the republic for which it stands. Inserting words about a deity not everyone believes in just alienates an entire segment of the population.

I don't see how anyone could object to taking the Pledge back to its original wording. Say whatever else YOU want when you're reciting it, but the formal wording should be utterly inclusive of ALL Americans. And "under God" just ain't it.

Notice this thread was someone else's quote? I think the problem with God in public is that he/she/it got so complicated that the idea has gone astray.

My bible is a book called, "Everything you need to know we learned in Kindergarten."

-If you break it, fix it.

-If you lose it, replace it.

-If you hurt someone, apologize.

-Don't steal, cheat or lie.

So my idea of God isn't the religious one most people think of, and my idea of God is very personal, which is why I don't think religion belongs in public. I personally like the idea of the Pledge of Allegiance with the God line, but that's just because of the simplicity behind my belief system.

I'd like the government to explain which "God" we are praying to. Have I been praying to something I don't believe in all these years? My money says, "In God we Trust." Exactly what God is that?

I'm getting some flack because this thread contradicts other threads. I posted this because I thought it was a strong quote. I like controversy because it makes me think, and too many people spend hours and hours at the gym and forget to exercise their mind. Seeing other people's opinions helps me make decisions and correct insufficiencies in my thinking system.

I appreciate all your responses and will be checking in again. Peace.

I love that everyone on here is free and able to express themselves; it is truly amazing, and unique. Not everyone has this luxury. I wanted to keep out of this, but I just have to say vinesqueen was reading my mind, and I'm with you sister!

In my HUMBLE opinion, the most troubling line of the Paul Harvey quote is that he is so ethnocentric that he doesn't even bother or care to do his homework... no one at a ping-pong match in China is saying a "prayer to buddah"... especially when people in Tibet are being murdered daily for doing such! I also find it troubling that people don't know where the pledge came from... I encourage everyone to look it up and do our homework (that's the teacher in me coming out). History is so important. It plays into everything, all day, everyday. Just my humble two, three and four cents. :)

"One nation, indivisble, with liberty and justice for all."

More powerful.

Okay now I HAVE to tell the story about how in 6th grade my arch enemy, Pamela Miller, said that I pledged alliegiance to the "United State of ASPERAGUS" when I didn't (somebody did, but not me) and the teacher (we mutually disliked each other) sentenced me to write out the Pledge 20 times. Oh I did it... every time getting more pissed and writing bigger and bigger the "justice for ALL" part until it was giant, underlined and exclaimed multiple times. At the end I added an entire 1 page essay on how UNjust this punishment was and how UNjust Mrs. Waterman was in general.

Got sent to the Principal who sighed and said, "What now, Kare?"

I actually had the record for going to the Principal's office more than any other girl in 6th grade--and proud of it!

(Who woulda been there with me? DeLarla? Oh yeah....)

Now Alexandra, see what can happen when you don't keep those chiefs busy? :)

It's all about respect. Respect for our fellow man and their right to believe however they want to believe. If you're an atheist, agnostic, Catholic, Jehovah's Witness, Mormon, Muslim, Shinto, Wiccan, Lutheran, Baptist, whatever, there are thousands, you have a right to believe whatever you believe and not be offended by what another person believes. We all feel that what we believe is right, but that doesn't mean that it is to everyone else. If they're praying to a God you don't believe in, or they're worshipping an object you don't believe in, or giving their allegience to something you don't agree with, then so be it, that's their right. We all need to be respectful of that right as long as they're not forcing us to do as they do. If you can't get over being offended by a public act of worship or prayer, then leave. No ones forcing you to stick around. That's why this country is a great place to live, we have freedom of expression and that means everyone.