Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Barium Swallow Test / Upper GI

How much did you hate it?!?!?! OMG!!!! I had mine this morning and thought I would puke.

1st I drank the alka-selzer stuff and then they told me I couldn't burp...nearly impossible. Then I drank the liquid chalk (awfuuuuuul!) and they kept making me roll all over to coat my stomach. Then I drank another chalky drink that was a little thinner and rolled around some more. Finally, Water.< /p>

Then, they tell me to take a laxative b/c I'm not going to be able to poo and when I finally do, it's probably going to be white (from the chalk drink).

How much did YOU hate it?!?!

I'll say again..it's interesting to me how different we all are!

The upper GI was nothing for me. Worst part was having to wait about ten minutes to be taken back for it - and even that's not too bad.

Sorry it sucked for you - the good news is, it's over and you probably won't have to do it again until after your surgery (and it's tiny drinks then!).

Eeek. Mine is next week and I am sooo not looking forward to it. It'll be good to check something else off the list, but again, not looking forward to the yuckiness.....

Good for you for having that step behind you!!

Gotta say that barium has me worried. I became very, very, very sick years ago after an Upper GI. I said I would never do barium again, I'd die first. The real problem is that it caused me to vomit non-stop from the first sip all thru. They had me sit in a little room, cup and straw in one hand and wad of tissue in the other. Sip/puke, sip/puke. Sorry to be graphic. I did have a CT scan last year and had to drink Fluid for contrast. I survived that, but barely. Any suggestions on the barium thing??? I'll be talking to the surgeon about it but it's sure been on my mind since I started researching the LapBand.

Barium = Satan's Punch:thumbdown:

ThePoolGirl

Was not that big of a deal to me. I was nervous because of all the hype... tried first sip and was ready to drink the rest. Not something I would want to do on a daily basis, but truly not bad whatsoever.

Jason

I'm having my surgery on Monday and I'm really scared of drinking this stuff! They said I have to drink it and have the upper GI before I can go home. I hope it's not that bad! They don't want to you vomit after the surgery yet they make you drink something that makes you vomit. I'm so worried! Oh well, I'm sure I'll make it though, no pain no gain!!

OMG the memory of my Barium Swallow. I agree it was really difficult not to burp after taking the fizzy crystal stuff. And the barium chaulk wasn't too bad. I handled it well until I had to lay down and roll around so they could take the films, that's when I started feeling an upset stomach.

PS. white poo, gross! LOL

I burped a whole bunch with the fizzy stuff. Drinking the barium chalk was icky, not as bad as some other stuff I've had to drink. I'd have to say though, the weirdest parts for me was when I bumped my head against the x-ray machine or when the doctor freaked out because the nurse failed to tell him I had piercings. It was funny to see a profesional have a WTF moment.

I had a barium swallow after leaving the recovery room and before I actually got to my room after surgery

miserable.

The woman taking the x-rays had no patience and was no help in getting me off the gurney or onto the table.

I was having "this isn't so bad after all" thoughts in the recovery room--that changed as soon as I had to do that swallow.

The taste didn't bother me too much

I think the thing that bothered me the most was that it was such a fast process and I was laying down in this tight space and all they kept telling me to do was to roll this way, roll that way, drink this, keep rolling, roll back. I got confused a lot and really felt sick to my stomach.

I didn't realize I'd have to get another after the surgery...boo! I was hoping that was my first and last experience with it!!!

I think the thing that bothered me the most was that it was such a fast process and I was laying down in this tight space and all they kept telling me to do was to roll this way, roll that way, drink this, keep rolling, roll back. I got confused a lot and really felt sick to my stomach.

I didn't realize I'd have to get another after the surgery...boo! I was hoping that was my first and last experience with it!!!

My surgeon did it after the surgery to make sure the band was positioned properly. As with every part of thise procedure--your doctor may do something different.

But at least you're prepared if you do have to have it done again.

0k, so i guess I'm the only one who didnt mind the barium-kinda a mint chalk taste ^_^ I had it done 2 yrs ago for potential ulcer etc...umm post op did you guys have to lay on your belly, cause i think that will really hurt, or did u just do the standing swallow test?