Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Afraid to eat! Need feedback/help!

Ok....im probably not alone, but help please! I was banded on 7/7. On my pre op i lost 18lbs. So far, one week post op i'm down another 6lb. So the pre op and post op diets have been good for me.

I'm looking forward to being off Soup at some point..but....I am thinking ahead and i'm so afraid to start eating and having to make choices again! How do you forgo the Protein Drinks and eat normally and still lose weight??? This is so foreign to me!

I'm so afraid that when i'm no longer restricted with my meals, that I will go b ack to chosing the wrong things and then will gain. Its been nice seeing the scale go down a little each day----it will flip me out to see a gain--yet, if i'm barely eating about 800 calories right now...once i start to eat normal every day food again---it seems to me I would gain.

Granted....i guess i dont feel any restriction yet (dont get fill till week 6)....

I guess i just need some of you seasoned bandsters to let me know its possible to eat regular people food (including carbs) and lose.

I'm just afraid of failure i guess~~~i welcome any and all comments!

Hi Bobbie,

I struggle to eat normal food. I tend to take too big of bites and not chew enough. I get stuck quite often because of this. Don't worry, you wont be able to eat like you used to. Where did you have surgery?

Donna

Banded 4/17/09 lost 54 pounds to date.

I am with you here. I would like to know the opinions of seasoned bands too. Please let us know!

Hi Bobbie,

I struggle to eat normal food. I tend to take too big of bites and not chew enough. I get stuck quite often because of this. Don't worry, you wont be able to eat like you used to. Where did you have surgery?

Donna

Banded 4/17/09 lost 54 pounds to date.

My surgery was At Arcadia Methodist Hospital. Wow Donna! You've lost 54 lbs since April? Thats amazing.

well heck..and today i jump on the scale, which has been slowly moving downward for the past 3 weeks...and i'm UP 1.2 lbs. I know that is a minimal amount--but UP??? When i'm still on full liquids and not eating a whole helluva lot? Grr! lol.

I have not been banded yet, but nutrition is nutrition.

I would say first and foremost, get off that scale!! You may be retaining Water and a 1-3 lb gain/loss could be normal. You aren't going to do yourself any good to see the ups and downs on a daily basis.

What are you currently eating/drinking?

My Tips:

Good Liquids: Water, Protein, protein, protein cannot stress enough. If you need to , use a blendewr to blend banana and Peanut Butter with a chocalate protein drink--very good. Also--crystal light, no sugar added fruit cups with splenda, broth, limit gatorade, Jello, --ease into light yogurt as prescribed along with no sugar added apple sauce etc.

Bad liquids: Do not drink ice cream shakes or sugar drinks.< /p>

Once you can add pureed foods: I love my chicken salad--awesome protein source --use light mayo.< /p>

Also--excercise 5-7 days a week for 30-45 minutes and don't weigh yourself more than twice a week.

I lost over 27 pounds during the first 4 weeks post op-(before first fill). Then put about 5 lbs back on the week before the first fill--due to being able to eat again and being hungry alot--but doc said that was not bad at all--normal.

do not worry

Hi Bobby,

I've been banded since 6/08 - hard to believe it's been a year. I've lost 57 lbs to date - and love my band! From now until when you find your "sweet spot" it may be difficult once you start eating normal foods. I had my first fill @ 6 weeks also - but it wasn't until August that I had good restriction. I've got a 10 cc band and have 7.5 cc's in it. I eat slow - don't drink for 1/2 before or hour after I eat - and honestly can't eat much more than 1/2 of a cup. I just had lunch - (2 chicken fingers) baked w/ ff honey mustard dressing. I'm stuffed. Up until I had good restriction - I measured my meals to 1 cup and stopped when the cup was full. Making poor choices happens from time to time - but for the most part - breads & such don't like me - so I often loose them (now I don't even try). Your mindset does change as you body becomes aware of what it needs & you will start being happier with healthier choices.

Good Luck

Sharon

Hi Bobbie! Congradulations on your surgery and the start to your new life. I was banded on April 22nd, and I have lost 40 pounds so far and I am thrilled with my band. I will have my 3rd fill on Monday. I now have 5cc in my band. I have never gotten anything stuck or had any problems at all. Also, I have not gained since the surgery at all, and there is really nothing that I don't eat. Everything is just in much smaller portions, and of course if I do treat myself to something bad like ice cream or Cookies or whatever, it is a very small amount. Just enough to satisfy my craving, and then I am done. As far as meals go...I try to make sure I eat my Protein first all the time! then veggies. There is rarely any room left for carbs or anything else. After eating about a cup of food, I feel as full as I would be if I went to a buffet and stuffed myself. It's fantastic! You will do fine! Just don't suck down ice cream shakes and malts all day! :) you will get the hang of it, and then you, too, will feel wonderful about your new stomach !!!! Best of luck to you!!!! :)

Jackie

I have not been banded yet, but nutrition is nutrition.

I would say first and foremost, get off that scale!! You may be retaining Water and a 1-3 lb gain/loss could be normal. You aren't going to do yourself any good to see the ups and downs on a daily basis.

What are you currently eating/drinking?

Ya know, i try to stay off the scale but it just calls to me, lol....Actually im on my 2nd week post op - I'm on full liquids - having 2 Protein drinks..supplemented by creamy Soup, water, crystal lite an occasional s/f popsicle..just depends...I am staying with what they told me to have...

Hi Bobbie! Congradulations on your surgery and the start to your new life. I was banded on April 22nd, and I have lost 40 pounds so far and I am thrilled with my band. I will have my 3rd fill on Monday. I now have 5cc in my band. I have never gotten anything stuck or had any problems at all. Also, I have not gained since the surgery at all, and there is really nothing that I don't eat. Everything is just in much smaller portions, and of course if I do treat myself to something bad like ice cream or Cookies or whatever, it is a very small amount. Just enough to satisfy my craving, and then I am done. As far as meals go...I try to make sure I eat my Protein first all the time! then veggies. There is rarely any room left for carbs or anything else. After eating about a cup of food, I feel as full as I would be if I went to a buffet and stuffed myself. It's fantastic! You will do fine! Just don't suck down ice cream shakes and malts all day! :scared2: you will get the hang of it, and then you, too, will feel wonderful about your new stomach !!!! Best of luck to you!!!! :wink2:

Jackie

Jackie - thank you for this post! This is precisely what i needed to hear..that once i get a fill..and i can eat regular foods..that I'll be able to eat whatever (protein first of course) and be satisfied with small amounts of whatever it is! I have about 3 more weeks until i have any fill...but omg youve lost 40 lbs in such a short amount of time..im encouraged by your success! Thanks!

Hi Bobby,

I've been banded since 6/08 - hard to believe it's been a year. I've lost 57 lbs to date - and love my band! From now until when you find your "sweet spot" it may be difficult once you start eating normal foods. I had my first fill @ 6 weeks also - but it wasn't until August that I had good restriction. I've got a 10 cc band and have 7.5 cc's in it. I eat slow - don't drink for 1/2 before or hour after I eat - and honestly can't eat much more than 1/2 of a cup. I just had lunch - (2 chicken fingers) baked w/ ff honey mustard dressing. I'm stuffed. Up until I had good restriction - I measured my meals to 1 cup and stopped when the cup was full. Making poor choices happens from time to time - but for the most part - breads & such don't like me - so I often loose them (now I don't even try). Your mindset does change as you body becomes aware of what it needs & you will start being happier with healthier choices.

Good Luck

Sharon

Thank you Sharon! You give me hope! I'm anxious for my first fill. I'm confident i can make good choices..i just so want to be successful here! I sure hope i recognize my "sweet spot" when i get there! lol.

My Tips:

Good Liquids: Water, Protein, Protein, protein cannot stress enough. If you need to , use a blendewr to blend banana and Peanut Butter with a chocalate protein drink--very good. Also--crystal light, no sugar added fruit cups with splenda, broth, limit gatorade, Jello, --ease into light yogurt as prescribed along with no sugar added apple sauce etc.

Bad liquids: Do not drink ice cream shakes or sugar drinks.

Once you can add pureed foods: I love my chicken salad--awesome protein source --use light mayo.< /p>

Also--excercise 5-7 days a week for 30-45 minutes and don't weigh yourself more than twice a week.

I lost over 27 pounds during the first 4 weeks post op-(before first fill). Then put about 5 lbs back on the week before the first fill--due to being able to eat again and being hungry alot--but doc said that was not bad at all--normal.

do not worry

Wow...great advise thank you! Do you just get regular chicken cook it up and make your own chicken salad? I'm such an on the go single mom of 2 that i dont have alot of time for myself....simpler the better. Wow..losing 27 lbs post op was huge! I'm only about 6 lbs down at 1 week, 2 days...but nice to know its "normal" to gain a few back...