Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Due to insurance issues ive started to research having the surgery in Mexico and while researching every place ive looked says they do free fills for life after surgery so im curious For those of you who decided to go to mexico for your surgery, do you go to mexico every time you need a fill? how offten do you need to be filled? Did you find a surgeon locally to do fills afterwards? ive read a few posts that say going to a different surgeon to get your fills can be costly .

thanks-

Carlee

Hi Carlee I have a friend who had her lapband done in mexico a 1yr and 2months ago. She was a self pay. She does not go to mexico to get fills done, because that's to costly and besides the whole fill process only take 5 minutes at the most.. She goes to a dr locally here in Florida and get hers done. Her charge is 200 bucks and she said if she has to have fluroscopy it's more. She's only had 2 fills and her port has since flipped and she doesn't want to get more fills because the dr has to poke her serveral times and can't find the port. She knows she need to have it fixed but she doesn't have insurance so for now she's just dealing with it and has only received those 2 fills from a local provider. Hope this helps, from what I hear it's very costly without insurance... I had my band done on April 15th and thankfully I have insurance so I don't have that problem. I just pay a copay. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.

Hi Carlee,

I had my band done in Mexicali Mexico in April. I was very very pleasantly surprised with the care I received and the hospital was very nice. I have returned there for two fills. I have Kaiser who has agreed to do my fills but what a hassle it turned out to be. I will continue to have my fills done in Mexicali. The fills are free and included in the surgical cost but the hospital still charges for the x-ray $60 to $70 depending on the exchange rate. All in all it has been a good experience. I don't think I will need another fill for quite a while.

weight.png

Banded 4/17/09 in Mexicali, MX by Dr. Alberto Aceves

First fill in Mexicali 5/30/09 1.6cc

Second fill in Mexicali 7/10/09 .6cc

Edited by FailureIsntAnOption

Due to insurance issues ive started to research having the surgery in Mexico and while researching every place ive looked says they do free fills for life after surgery so im curious For those of you who decided to go to mexico for your surgery, do you go to mexico every time you need a fill? how offten do you need to be filled? Did you find a surgeon locally to do fills afterwards? ive read a few posts that say going to a different surgeon to get your fills can be costly .

thanks-

Carlee

Hey there! I was banded July 8 by Dr. Ortiz at OCC in Tijuana, Mexico... GREAT facility and staff!! I will not be going back to Mexico for fills (bc I live on the East Coast, so it would get very costly with flights.. unless i am visiting my friend in San Diego or something)

you just have to find a doc near you that will take patients who were baned outside the US. Prices vary on the doctor... all the docs I found are anywhere between $100-$250 for a fill (and thats W/O xray/floro...) So try to find a doc first if you dont plan on traveling to Mexico for fills. The last thing you want is complications and you havent found a US doctor yet..

A am self pay too, so I knwo how ya feel!

Good luck!!!