Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am totally freaking out!

I know this sounds stupid...but....I'm very nervous about attending my 1st WLS seminar tonight. And I don't know why. I finally mentioned this to my sister who will also be attending. She said she's nervous and uptight. What the heck is wrong with us?

I do know what's wrong sort of...what if there's some reason I can't have this band surgery? What if I get answers I don't like? What if I have set myself up for more failure??

Did anyone else feel this way before (just a little old) seminar? Arggh :thumbdown:. Thanks.

The Pool Girl

Anticipation is always hard and being anxious makes one more nervous. Don't worry about it, the seminar I attended was very good. The medical staff (surgeons, RN, diatician) and recently banded patients, put on a brief and informative presentation. They then took questions and did their best to reassure and explain to everyone, whatever their question was. The evening was very reassuring and by the end, everyone seemed relaxed and happy.

So Go For It!!

Thanks, Diana. I'm sure the seminar will be fine. I just can't believe I would be nervous about it. Feels like a 1st date or something.:thumbdown: I appreciate the support.

ThePoolGirl

I once sat next to a woman at support group (pre-ops are required to attend two meetings) who was a nervous wreck.

We talked a bit...and I really think she was nervous because attending the group was making everything more real for her. She kept saying, "Can I really be doing this?" "What am I doing here?"

So..maybe it's the big leap that has you nervous?

You could try some self-comforting techniques. Telling yourself in a reassuring voice that everything is ok...that you have the option of leaving if you're not liking it..that while this is a big step, it's a positive step.

Good luck tonight.

xoox

I was a bit anxious about going mainly because I knew this would bring out to everyone I knew that I have a weight problem... something I had never been willing to freely talk about before. The seminar was the beginning of opening a new door outside my comfort zone. Once it was done and I found out that everyone who loved and cared about me was very happy and supportive it was so much of a relief. The seminar was nothing, but exciting for me once I was there. To hear all of the information I had wondered about and getting to meet a few that have already been through the first year of having the band was inspirational for me. I knew at that point I was ready. After that its a waiting game and following all of the instruction of your surgeon once you are approved or able to self pay if need be. I am having to self-pay... that is why I am so determined to do well. I am not about to spend $15,000 just to eat around my band. I am going to change my life! Best of luck to you... you will enjoy that seminar!

Jason

If I may make another suggestion, since you have attended the seminar and "lived to talk about it". I was stuck waiting for 6 months due to a diet requirement by my insurance. I figured I might as well educate myself on what I was getting into. I started attending the support group (it wasn't required, but it was open to the public). I met people at all stages, thinking about having surgery, pre-ops, recent post-ops, people out a year or more. It was very educational, and by the time I had jumped through all the hoops and had surgery, I could practically do the procedure myself! Not really, but I had a really good handle on what I was getting into. The more you know . . .

There are many books you can buy, most available on Amazon.com (I bought The Lapband Solution and The Lapband Companion). Also on obesity help.com there is a magazine you can subscribe to called OH. Good articles, before and after pics, Wow moments (good stuff that happens after weight loss, also known as NSV or non-scale victories), nutritional articals, plus lots of ads geared just for bariatric patients, like Vitamins and Snacks. Many vendors have sample packs you can buy to try their product.

The other thing: exercise. You will need to make a serious committment to exercise. It doesn't need to be anything fancy, like an expensive gym membership. Mostly what I do is walk in a park near home that has a nature trail about 1.5 or so miles long. I generally go around twice, carrying peanuts for the squirrels. For back up I belong to Curves, and the county rec center gym ($2.00 a month--that really is 2 dollars), and I have a multi-class ticket for Water aerobics, that I paid upfron but averages about $6.00 per class. Curves costs $29.00 a month. With the nice weather we have been having I have just about been living at the park. Curves called me up to tell me they missed me!

Good luck on your journey. This site is also a great place to get info. Do your thing and don't let anyone tell you that you are taking the easy way out. The band only restricts the amount of food you put into your mouth. You still have to make the decision to eat healthy and exercise.

Good for you for going to the meeting! That is great! I agree with Pachelton -- this site is a great resource -- not just for information, but also for support and encouragement!

I put a bunch of posts about my surgery, post-op plan for success, foods that work, etc. on my blog. Feel free to take a look if you are interested. I did a lot of my pre-op research by looking at others' blogs -- there are some great ones out there, and it gives a good idea of what to expect.

Best wishes,

Catherine