Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK.

Hello Everyone!

It's Day 12 Post Op for me and I am feeling pretty good. My incisions are pretty much all healed up. The Gas pain in my shoulder is gone. Mushy foods are wonderful.

There is one thing that is not wonderful though...

This nagging Port pain, below the large incision, to my left side. Either walking or standing for more than 20 or so minutes really irritate that area. Its like a pulling pain in my abdomin.

Does that ever go away?

The Gym. My Doc said no strenuous exercise for 4 weeks. Other than the port discomfort, I feel like I am atleast ready to work out a little.

When did you guys hit the gym?

When were you back to "Normal"?:thumbdown:

Hi there! On my 11th day post op I walked 3ish miles at a really good clip and continued strength training (upper body) about 5 days out from surgery. Was told cardio/strength training is great as soon as you feel able but nothing over 20lbs to lift for the initial 4 weeks. I will say that I dont have any pain or discomfort, and I am not even sure where the port is exactly! :thumbdown: I have my first follow up appt this afternoon and will have them show me...

I walked until 4 weeks post-op then joined the gym. As long as you are healed you should be fine.

I probably had discomfort around the port for 3 weeks or so. I still do on occasion.

When did I start exercising? Last week. (Not really, but I definitely didn't so when I could have.)

I'm going to start going back. I usually did about 45 minutes on the Elliptical @ Lv10. I will probably start with 30 Minutes on the Elliptical @ Lv5.

I have a personal trainer. I think I will hold off on starting those again until next week. I don't want to pay alot of money when I can't really do the kind of weights/etc I was working on with him.

As far as the port discomfort. I guess I will just live with it. I don't really think there is anything I can do that would mess it up... I hope!:thumbdown:

Thanks for everyone's replies. Maybe you can post what kinds of exercises you are doing so we can get some ideas!

I am 2 weeks post -op and saw the doctor today. Was told I can keep on walking, start strength training again but not to lift more then 10 pounds till after 6 weeks. No twisting or stomach excercises untill after 6 weeks. I was told even when you feel better on the outside you are still healing on the inside. Of course every lap-band program is different, follow your Dr.'s advice. He knows what is best for you. Good luck.

weight.png

Thanks for sharing your info! I am following it as best I can, which is about 99%.

I just got back from the gym. Had a good workout today. In addition to the 5000 Steps I got at work today. I did:

7 Minutes on the Recumbent bike for a warm-up.

Then 40 minutes of elliptical (in 20 minute increments). Overall, my port pain was basically not there at all, so it comes and goes.

Edited by TheArchitects

My doctor also told me at about a week post-op (maybe 5 days) that I could start walking at a reasonable (but not outrageous) pace on the treadmill. I am almost 4 weeks post op and went on a 4 mile hike through a gorge today (2 miles up, 2 miles down) with no pain.

Sometimes I worry that I'm damaging or ripping out my port or something or also that my band has slipped but I guess it really is just paranoia. I have my first fill on July 28th. I'm praying that everything looks just fine.

WOW! Ive been working out HARDCORE since week 2 when I got the go! I was just told not to lift for than 10 lbs then at 4 weeks I could lift whatever. I work out 5 days a week pretty intensely! I will tell you though, I get BAD pains in my port area from working out. It feels like a stretches muscle and hurts to take big breathes. My surgeon said its normal cause of the amount of exersize I am doing. She said I cant really do damage if I followed her instructions and I did. So the pain goes away afte ra few days once the muscles have relaxed. Working out has melted the inches away like crazy!

I am one week post op and I am experiencing some pain around my port too and it pulls in like mad after I have eaten-it's a strange sensation.

I too have a personal trainer, who I want to start back with after my summer hols, I'm a teacher. He works me hard, like boot camp so I'm hoping I will be up to it again. I don't want to tell him I've had a band, but then don't want to twist anything! I'm finding all the posts helpful...I hope your pain goes away soon.

I was in pain with my port area for about 6 weeks as i turned in bed i seemed to rip it, well thats what it felt like. Then one day it just went and I was able to do exercise pain free. Time is a great healer :)

My doctor also told me at about a week post-op (maybe 5 days) that I could start walking at a reasonable (but not outrageous) pace on the treadmill. I am almost 4 weeks post op and went on a 4 mile hike through a gorge today (2 miles up, 2 miles down) with no pain.

Sometimes I worry that I'm damaging or ripping out my port or something or also that my band has slipped but I guess it really is just paranoia. I have my first fill on July 28th. I'm praying that everything looks just fine.

:eek:paranoia that does some it up for me too. I have started to experience port pain after I did some light swimming last week. It's not bad just a nuisance that was never there before. I go see the doctor or shopuld I say NP in 2 days.

I hate to say that some of my pureed foods weren't so pureed. Like sloppy joe meat. But I chewed it really good, so i didn't understand the difference of my mouth doing it vs. a grinder:huh2:

I was banded 6/22.