Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been on plateau for about a month now. Going up & down between 203-200. I think I'm at a "set-point" and my body doesn't want to go past it. Any ideas how to break it? I've been exercising an hour a day. I think if I lower my calories really low like do Protein Shakes only for a day or two, I think it'll go back up immediately after going back to food.< /p>

Some others may disagree but cheating for me has broken plateaus in the past. Granted, I am referring to diets as I dont get banded until 7/23 but when I successfully lost 40 lbs in 3 mths on South Beach a few years back I'd hit a stall and have ONE day of being bad (within limits) and my weight loss would kick back in. Hope that helps...

I've been on plateau for about a month now. Going up & down between 203-200. I think I'm at a "set-point" and my body doesn't want to go past it. Any ideas how to break it? I've been exercising an hour a day. I think if I lower my calories really low like do Protein Shakes only for a day or two, I think it'll go back up immediately after going back to food.< /div>
I can't find the link right this second but coach cher has a news letter called Banded togather, She has a great plateue buster in it this month. Also you could try the 5 day pouch test There's a thread on that also. I'll try to find the link for you when I have more time. I know you can google that because that's how I got it. good luck

Kimaly

The 5 Day Pouch Test by Kaye Bailey

Does my pouch still work?

Have I broken my pouch?

Have I ruined my tool?

These are questions many weight loss surgery post-ops find themselves asking occasionally during their journey. Perhaps it feels like we can eat more food or we know that we are eating more food. Sometimes these questions are asked when there has been a weight regain.

This is the 5-day plan that I have developed and used to determine if my pouch is working and return to that tight newbie feeling. And a bonus to this plan, it helps one get back to the basics of the weight loss surgery diet and it triggers weight loss. Also, it is not difficult to follow and if you are in a stage of carb-cycling it will break this pattern. Sounds pretty good, right?

Order the 5 Day Pouch Test Owner's Manual

The 5 Day Pouch Test should never leave you feeling hungry. You can eat as much of the prescribed menu as you want during the day to satiate hungry and prevent snacking on slider foods and/or white carbs. You must drink a minimum of 64 ounces of Water each day. A reduction of caffeinated beverages is suggested, but do not stop caffeine cold turkey.

Weight loss is not the intent of the 5 Day Pouch Test, however, many who have tried this plan report a significant drop in weight. More importantly they Celebrate a renewed sense of control over their pouch and eating habits and easily transition back to a healthy post-surgical weight loss way of eating.

Understanding Hunger, Appetite and Satiety

Below you will find a brief list of the menu for each day. Please click the "Read more" links for further detail and hints and tips that will enable your success with the 5 Day Pouch Test. Days One & Two: liquid Protein

low-carb protein shakes, broth, clear or cream Soups, sugar-free Gelatin and pudding. Read more.

Day 3: Soft Protein

canned fish (tuna or salmon) eggs, fresh soft fish (tilapia, sole, orange roughy. Read more.

Day 4: Firm Protein

ground meat  

grey_loader.gif

(turkey, beef, chicken, lamb), shellfish, scallops, lobster, fresh salmon or halibut.Read more.

Day 5: Solid Protein

white meat poultry, beef steak, pork, lamb, wild game

Read more.

Good luck! I believe you are going to like the results when you give this plan an honest try.

Cheers!

Kaye Bailey

Edited by kimaly

If you are exercising an hour a day I'm sure you are still loosing. You are probably loosing inches rather than pounds since you most likely are gaining lean muscle. Try varying your calorie intake. If you normally eat 1000 calories then try 1200. Try going up or down two hundred calories each day. You need to trick your body.

I stalled a lot when I started working out seriously (I am wrapping up 8 weeks of a hard core Boot Camp workout program) and it really bummed me out. But, I had taken my measurements, so at least I could see that I was losing a lot of inches b/c I was building muscle and losing fat, even though the scale just stayed the same.

Once my body stopped building so much muscle (b/c I was more fit), I started losing again. I did the math last night and will share it with you here:

Up to May 21st (first day of Boot Camp), I was averaging 1.43 pounds per week. Since then, my loss has been as follows:

Weeks 1-4 of Intense Workout: .55 lbs/week (with zero lost for 17 days in a row during that time!)

Weeks 5-6 of Intense Workout: .5 lbs/week

Weeks 7-8 of Intense Workout: 2.2 lbs/week

So, take a look at your measurements for now and keep up the great workouts! Eventually, your body will get used to the muscle and it (since muscle helps you burn more calories) should speed up your metabolism and help you lose even better than before!

Catherine

Edited by Catherine55
Math needed to be corrected!

Hey Carbgrl,

I had my surgery the same day as you and finally yesterday I broke into the ONE"S. Yesterday and today the scales said 199....Feels so good. I had stayed on the plateau for ever also. Don't know what jump started me but may have been I got a fill last Friday. So glad I am there and know it won't be but a few days you will be there also.

Suzdavis

Hey Suz,

Congrats on breaking your plateau and getting into the One hundreds.

How much did you weigh on the date of your surgery? You're doing an amazing job!

Hope to talk again.

Me too, i am hovering between 204-206 , i have never been below 200 in over 15years. I do spinining 1hrs 3Xweek and 90mins cardio/weights 3X week. Yesterday i got frustrated and pigged out, i need to break to the 100's thats all i want to do. I have lost 40lbs with the band from 4/23/2009 and 66 without it for a total of over 100!

Catherine55...I wanted to get clarity on your statement below...

Once my body stopped building so much muscle (b/c I was more fit), I started losing again. I did the math last night and will share it with you here:

upping my calories by a couple hundred a day has usually worked for me. usually i just add in another high protien snack or 2. also try switching up your workouts. good luck and i will see you in onederland soon!!

Sorry Carbgrl for not getting back sooner. I did post in your other thread but didn't answer your question. I weighed 220 going into surgery. Has been slow since surgery and just last week got a little restriction. So am looking for the lbs to really start dropping now....