Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Night Jitters

Hello All,

Well I got banded yesterday and this is my first ight at home. I have been STARVING on this Clear liquids diet. All I can get down me is broth and a touch of gatorade. I feel so weird. I cannot sleep and to boot I am not at home I am at my parents house.

What on earth do I do? I have the diet plan and I am ready to go, but I am so hungry? But my tummy hurts from the operation. Am I just a crying baby here? Do most of you guys out there have scales? I don't have one and I don't know if I should go get one tomorrow? Also my discharge papers said I should not drive for 2 WEEKS??? I need some help here gals..Any word of advice?

Jen

I drove the next day just see how you feel probably get a scale just to keep track of weight loss just because if you don't lose in 3 weeks probably need a fill if your following the rules. youll feel better soon.

Hey Jen - congratulations - the journey begins! First, about being hungry - I was allowed to have Clear Liquids for the first week which included clear Protein drinks - like Isopure and Myoplex berry. Isopure tastes much better. It has 40g of Protein in a 20 oz bottle and it tastes like kool-aid with a bad aftertaste. That saved me. I drank Isopure, ate sugar-free Jello, sucked on sugar-free popcicles one after another, and drank lots of Water. They protein would really help you to feel less hungry. I had some difficulty distinguishing hunger, from belly/incision pain, from gas at first. Call you doctor and ask about clear Protein Drinks - seriously!

I also had pain medications that I took for several days - I made sure to take them every four hours, and before bedtime for the first few days (as prescribed) and then reduced them gradually. I quickly felt better and was sleeping great. My point is just that it is OK to use the pain meds if you need them, to stay off increasing pain and improve your sleep.

I don't have a scale - and didn't weigh myself until my first follow-up 10 days after the surgery. It was nerve wrecking, but I was so happy to go into the doctor and see a really nice loss. It made all the pain worthwhile. Plus, I would encourage you to NOT WORRY about weight loss in the beginning. So many people have emphasized that on this site - that the initial focus is just HEALING. Your body is going through such a major change and adjustment that it just isn't fair to your body or yourself to get overly concerned about weight loss yet. Usually, people don't get their first fill until 4-6 weeks after surgery, and some lose very little weight because there is very little restriction (at least that was my experience).

I am considering buying a scale, but so far I've just relied on the doctor's scale, and have weighed myself at the gym too.

These first couple weeks are very challenging - but you will soon be amazed at how well you feel and how great the band works. Its only been 5 weeks for me, and I really feel terrific. Good luck!

No don't get on a scale yet, it is too soon. I go to my TOPS meetings to get weighed because home scales don't go high enough. You are still swollen and bloated. Give it time, maybe a week or 2 out but don't get discouraged. This is the beginning.

Don't drive until you are feeling better, give it at least 3 days. I began to feel more like me on the 3d day. As far as hunger, try popsicles, crystal light watered down, light grap juice, sugar free Jello or sugar free pudding. You won't be able to finish the popsicle so don't try.

Jen, calm down and don't eat a thing. You can make it, it will get easier every day. Stay on liquids till you get cleared from your doctor. If your doc says you can eat in a few days, get a 2nd opionion and use your best judgment.

If you are hungry, turn of the TV and read a book - not a cookbook! Ask for phone numbers and start calling people. The day will be over soon, and you'll be fine.

P.S. Forget about the scale because being on liquids and just having surgery will throw the numbers. You might have dropped tons of Water weight that will creep back up as you add more liquids.

Take the pain med if you need. It will help you sleep. Your body needs a lot of sleep to help you recover. Don't deprive yourself. Relax, sleep, walk, drink Water & lots of liquids. Don't eat!

Thank you so much everyone here who is helping me out. I feel like I went through a lot to get the surgery and then I was dumped for advice when I left the hospital, my doctors staff are idiots and not helpful, and I can actually feel myslef getting dehydrated, so I am trying the liquid push. I just feel so "out of body" right now, I was banded on Tuesday, I should be better by now?? I personally don't even care about a scale right now because I am worried about so many other things. Hunger has gotten me down and I cannot drive yet, so I am sort of a prisioner to whatever I bought pre-op. I wish this doctor would just call me back.

Tiday was the first day I actually felt a need to eat, but I didn't. I have my post opon Wednesday and I am hoping that I can be on soft foods now. I feel like I am healing. I ate some Chix Noodle Soup and just ate a bit of broth and a few noodles, I am getting bored of my options and am a bit antsy to change it up. It's only been a week and I never realized untill now how much food has been the ruler in my life..this is the hard part.

i gained a pound after surgery, i went to the support group 5 days after surgery and i drove my self.

i was told i can have anything i can suck through a straw, Soups and chicken broth in a blender MMMMMM good.

I drove my RV 200 miles 1 week after surgery.

:)

I was told to wait 24 hours before driving, which worked out just fine. I started out my first night mainly just wanting to sleep. Then the next day I felt so full even not having eaten anything, just a few sips of Water. I assumed things are swollen in there so just paid attention and waited til I felt less like I had a too tight bra on and then tried some hot broth and that went much better. It's obviously an individual thing..............we have to learn to listen to what our body is saying, which is a new thing for me anyway!!!

Trust me... don't let starvation push you to push your band. I ate some cream of potato Soup too soon and I thought I was going to die. It was like an ice pick was stabbing me all over.