Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any banded members... I would love your feedback

So, I have been battling my weight since I was 13. I have tried too many diets to count. In August I will be starting my last semester of Nursing School. I will be getting married June 26th of 2010. With all these life changes (and a 15 pound weight gain during nursing school) I decided in May to join a gym since I would have some time over the summer. I wanted to get in shape for my wedding and lose some of this weight that has came and gone my whole life. I spent $2,000 on a personal trainer and 1 year gym membership. I have been going 5 times a week for 1 hour each time. I food journal everything I eat and my goal is less than 1,800 per day. I have cut out sugars and any carbs that are not whole wheat or brown rice. In 2 months I have gained 2.5 lbs.

At dinner I began to complain to my fiancee's brother and his girlfriend (who both play college volleyball). I made the statement that I should have spent the $2,000 on the Lap Band instead. Which the flippant comment from her is "No you should just tape your mouth shut".

I honestly can't express the pain and hurt I feel at being judged by my weigt. I am tired of being fat and trying so hard and putting so much in and GETTING NOTHING BACK.

After the venting, I guess my question is, how do you know that the lap band will work for you. How do I know that I am not just going to throw MORE money and devote all this time into another weight loss thing.

Sorry for the bi%*ing,

Heidi

Forgot to include my stats... 5'7" 237 BMI of 37.1.

Heidi, if you can follow instructions, the band should work for you. But it's a tool, not a magic wand. It will help you restrict your eating to 1,000-1,200 calories per day but it is possible to cheat the band by eating bad food choices like ice cream and other sweets or lots of breads. I suggest you find a surgeon in your area who has a free seminar coming up. This would be a fantastic place to get the basic information and to be able to ask questions, find out if your insurance will cover the procedure, etc.

You can see by my ticker below that I've lost 70 pounds this year. And, I'll tell you that it feels different than any time I've lost weight before. I haven't hesitated to get rid of clothes that have become too big because I know I won't need them in the future. Before, I think I always knew that the weight would come back.

If you want to ask more questions, ask away. Somebody here can answer you. If you want to ask me particularly, you can email me at parr0thd51@aol.com

Hi Heidi,

I just had surgery a little over a week ago and I'm so glad I did. I feel like I will finally have control over my ravenous hunger pains. I've already lost six pounds since my surgery. Like ParrotheadCathy said, it's not a magic wand but I think that if you are determined enough to do all of the exercising five days a week and food journaling and follow all of the rules that you've followed so far that you should be able to follow the rules that go along with the lap band. Definitely go to some seminars and learn about the lap band surgery. I went to three seminars before I had mine.

I would ignore the negative comment from the girlfriend. She's not in your shoes and may have never had a weight problem in her life. I try to surround myself with supportive people if possible. You may not be able to avoid her being that she's your fiance's brothers girlfriend but I'd do my best. Life is hard enough without having someone bring you down.

Good luck with nursing school and your weight loss, whatever you decide to do!!!:thumbup::):thumbup:

Its the best thing I ever did. Like they say its not a magic wand but a tool. You have to be willing to follow instructions and change your eating habits. Plus workout at least 30 mins a day. I had surgery 7 months ago and have lost 61 pounds.

I have had my band for only a week, and I am very pleased so far. I lost 25 pounds in the first week, and a know it will tapper off, now that the swealing of the stomache has gone down and more food can get in, but it has given me that jump start, and I am way more cautious about what I eat.

Good luck

I got banded on May 15 and have lost 30 lbs. ,without restriction. I agree with everyone else. The band is only a tool and you have to be commited to use it. I advise you to do your research. Read the good,the bad , and the ugly on this board. There are lots of successful stories and some horror stories. Most of us have been on a diet on and off all our lives. (losing weight only to gain back more) This was one of the last resorts for me. So far, I wish I had done this yrs. ago. Maybe I would have saved myself from diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease. I am looking forward to feeling better and getting off most of my expensive meds. I can think of a lot better ways to spend my money. I wish you luck with whatever you decide. PS : you may want to develop a thick skin for people who make rude and flip comments to you.

I do think there is way, way, way more good then bad. I just think it is human nature to post the bad, and get feedback. SO for every bad post, I am sure there are 25 positive ones that don't get posted. Hang in there, you will come to the right conclusion for you.

I had to do a 6 month diet for my insurance, so I spent the time learning all I could to make sure I made an informed decision. I did the seminar and started going to support group probably also 6 months before surgery. I learned a lot there. You meet people at all stages pre and post-op. As for flip remarks, I had a coworker say "You are doing this for your health aren't you?" (Nah, I thought I would turn myself into the world's oldest living Barbie!). At the group support one night I had a lapband post-op look at me in my 2X scrubs and tell me I didn't look fat enough to need surgery (I was 252, BMI 37-38, 5'5"). My scrubs are now small to medium tops and small pants, my weight 141-143, BMI 22-23, and regular clothing is now a size 10-12 instead of womens 22. I only take one small generic BP med and have stopped one BP med, two cholesterol meds, reflux med and while I still have arthritis, I don't need pain med anywhere near what I used to. I walk mostly for exercise. You can do it. I am a reformed pizzaholic (I would consume an entire 12-15 inch pizz in one sitting with extra cheese, pepperoni, green peppers and onions (I deluded myself into thinking I was getting some veggies at least). I no longer do that. I devised a crustless pizza that can be heated in the microwave with fat free cheese and low fat turkey pepperoni (and of course green peppers and onion--gotta have my veggies!). I do have a problem with bread so I don't eat much at all, very little Pasta and rice, but I have all of them infrequently on occasion. I just have to eat carefully and chew thoroughly.

Good luck on your journey.

Heidi, my starting stats were very similar to yours -- 5'6", 230 lbs and a BMI of 37. I was banded on October 23rd and am down 51 pounds as of this morning! I have gone from a tight size 20/1X to a 14, and am still losing and motivated. I attribute a lot of that to the benefits of being banded.

The band has been a Godsend for me. Of course, I've had to watch what I'm eating and (finally) motivate to exercise, but having this little device that makes me think about what I'm eating before I stuff it in my mouth and that prevents me from overeating has been fantastic. It has kept me on the straight and narrow counteless times where, if I wasn't banded, I would have ordered the wrong thing or overeaten.

I know myself well enough to know that I could not have been perfect on a normal diet for 9+ months -- much less still had the desire after 9 mos. to keep going! But, with the band, it's been so much easier. And, I know that, statistically speaking, I am going to keep off the weight this time, whereas more than 95% of regular dieters gain it all back and more.

I hope you find a good solution for yourself! Feel free to check out my blog if you want to see how someone with a similar BMI & height did. I also have a link in there to Lise the Loser's blog -- she also has similar stats (and looks amazing)!

Best,

Catherine

Which the flippant comment from her is "No you should just tape your mouth shut"

BTW, that was freaking rude, uncalled for, and completely insensitive. Not nice!

You may want to think very seriously about whether you will tell people about the band if you decide to get it. Lap band weight loss is slow and steady (which is the healthiest way to do it & gives your skin a chance to keep up). Also, during the first few weeks after surgery and before your first fill, there is a period called "Bandster Hell" when you can eat what you like and your weight loss is very likely to stall (quite a few people . . including me. . gain a few pounds then).

Anyway, I can just see this girl saying something rude during your first month or so like "Wow. . all that money for weight loss surgery and you're barely even losing!" I wouldn't want you to feel demoralized by something like that.

Catherine

Hi NurseHeidi. The things you mention in your post hits very close to home for me. I too have dieted all my life, joined gyms, taken numerous diet pills. The list goes on and on. I'm a nurse as well and I packed on a lot of weight just from the stress of being a nurse. I've always found solace with food. My most recent venture was joining LA Weight Loss last April, 2008. Spent over $2,000.00 on that one just for them to shut down one year later. I had lost 25 lbs on that program. Well, after that happened, I threw my hands up and claimed defeat. I have finally put a stop to the madness and have had lapband surgery April of this year. I know it's expensive. My insurance wouldn't pay for it, so I financed it myself. I figured, heck, I will finance a car, a home, my education. Why wouldn't I finance something that would benefit my health and allow me a better quality of life. Don't listen to dimwits like the one you mentioned. They haven't a clue what you've been through. Girl, you have my vote. The lapband is the way to go. Best wishes. :wub: