Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm trying to find info for my friend who has not yet had this procedure and would like to hear all the pros and cons to this surgery. I only know one person who has had the surgery, my mothers friend and she is not the person for advice. Anything will help.

Thanks

That's a pretty general question! May I suggest your friend buy a book or two and read it, as well as doing some online research (like on this site, the site for the realize band, the site for the lap band, etc)

Well I was hoping to hear some first hand information NOT second hand edited from a book info. For instance I didn't know that some people replace their food cravings with other substances like alcohol. I didn't know this till after my mothers friend became an alcoholic. I'd just like to hear from real individuals and their REAL experiences.

Thanks

Then you may certainly read plenty on here. Also asking some questions like "did you turn to alcohol to replace food? " might get the info you want.

I already found out about alcoholism first hand. I'd like to hear what people have to say for themselves. But had i not known, it would be helpful if someone spoke about it, thats not something any of the books have mentioned. Thats why i'm asking, if i don't know then i can't ask specifics.

Hi Cideways!

Like RestlessMonkey said, that's a really broad inquiry! I really encourage you to read as many posts on this site as you can to help you form some more specific questions. You might also want to search for blogs of people who have been banded. Check people's signatures in the forums (like mine), as a lot of us write in blogs pretty regularly.

I'm newly banded, but I'll give you a really brief list. Maybe that will help you some. Right now there are more cons than pros for me, but that will change after I get my first fill and am completely healed!

Pros of surgery:

I feel hopeful and confident for the first time in a long time.

I'm losing weight.

It's adjustable, unlike other types of WLS.

It's reversible, unlike many other types of WLS.

Fast recovery time (back to work in less than a week!)

Cons of surgery:

Well, it's surgery. It hurts. There's a chance for complications.

I have to relearn my body's signals. Hungry now isn't the same as hungry two months ago.

The band doesn't do the work for me. I have to relearn all of my former eating habits.

The band doesn't deal with the emotional problems I have which caused me to turn to food in the first place.

It doesn't start working *right away* for most people. Finding the perfect amount of Fluid for each individual is a matter of trial and error.

It's a short list, but I hope it helps a little bit.