Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Family and Friends

I am struggling with how to inform my family and friends that I am going through the pre stages, let alone that I am going to be banded. Any suggestions?

All of my appointments are a couple hours away so hard to keep it all to myself.

I am not sure if I want to let them know before I have a date or not...

Just wanted to say welcome! I just told everyone; it wasn't an issue for me. But then I weighed 405; those who loved me and cared knew I needed to do something.

I will have to let my family know soon. I head to Spokane WA this Wednesday for all of my pre-op appointments. I am spending the night since it is 3 hours from home.

Anything I should know for the two days of pre-op?

You don't say how much you have to lose or if you have comorbities but I'm thinking if your family loves you, they'll be happy that you are taking action against an obvious problem. I think a lot of people are nervous about telling folks they are getting banded because somewhere in their subconscious they think they are somehow cheating. But here's the deal: YOU'RE NOT. You will still have to make the food choices, put in the exercise time and do what you have to do to use the band to its full potential.

If you don't want to tell them, that's your choice. But I'm for telling, just because it sounds like you want to tell them fur are a little nervouse about it.

You don't have to tell everybody (yeah, like RestlessMonkey, I told absolutely everybody, including strangers, LOL), but like a lot of things in life, if you sound confident and sure of yourself, people will feel that. And if some random person wants to tell you horror stories, just tell them that you didn't sign up to hear rumors, that you've discussed all the risks with your surgeon and that you feel sure that you will be fine.

Preop tests...take a good book to read, and an MP3 player! :thumbdown: Otherwise, good luck; it's exciting! :biggrin:

I only told my family and close friends. I do tell people that I was banded when they make a comment that I've lost a lot of weight (40 lbs.). Most people, when they find out, ask me alot of questions or want the procedure themselves so I give them my surgeon's information I have only had one negative reaction from a so called friend but I didn't let it bother me. I would tell if you want to and don't feel shy about it, you are doing it for your health and to heck with eveyone else.

Thank for the suggestion...did you tell your family/friends when you went in for pre-op or when you had your surgery appointmen?

Yes, I told them. They have been very supportive the whole way. They even watch out for me, if I look like I'm going to eat something they are always asking me if I can eat that because of my band. They are helping me stay on track, and sometimes that is hard with them watching. But they see the difference the weight loss has made on me. I'm just glad that i did it and would do it again.

Robin:smile2:

I am sure my family will do the same. I am getting ready to go to Spokane WA in a couple days for all the pre-op appointments...I guess I should say something. They will ask where I am :rolleyes: