Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

question about the recovery.

Hi, I'm new to this site and I just got my surgery date, it's going to be in two weeks.

I'm very anxious and well as excited! My question is how long can I expect to recover well enough to lift things. I'm a nursing student and I can't miss to much school, so I want to go back three days after my surgery, but I don't know how much I can do! I also have a 15 month old who's going to want to be carried, but my mother is going to help me with him. I had a c-section and I recovered pretty quickly, so I wonder how this compares. Please if anyone could give some pointers I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Ps. I love the site

I just had my surgery on 8/30/05 and I have a 16 month old. I probably could have lifted him if I had to, but I was afraid he would hurt me or my stitches so my husband took complete care of him for the first 2 weeks. I can now hold him, carry him, hug him and bathe him. It was really hard not to be able to hug him, it hurt my stomach when I tried. It hurt me to bend down to him too. I have never had surgery so I was probably just a wimp!

I don't know how physical you are at school, but I went back to work one week after my surgery, but I have a desk job. Occasionally I have to lift 20# books but luckily not very often. I feel back to normal now, 3 weeks out.

Hope this has been of some help!

Missy

i had my surgery on 9.8.05 i was back to work on 9.12.05 and drove my RV 200miles on 9.16.05

I feel great no problem. Each person is different.

Your diet depends on your doctors instruction. Make sure you have foods at home, most Soups can be blended, if they are thick put some chicken or beef broth as a thinner. Drink plenty of Water. I came home and took a nap and drake some broth.< /p>

:)

Your doctor should give you the limitations on this. I was told no strenuous activity for 2 weeks and no heavy lifting for 6.

I was carrying my 21 pound, 6 month old great-granddaughter around (who lives with us) the day after surgery and I had no problem (carried her on my hip). But as they say, each person is different. You have to go with what you feel is right for you.

Also, I had three vertical cut C-sections...maaaaaaany years ago and this procedure was by far easier then they were. With my sections, it took me a good two to three weeks to fully recover each time. I'm 9 days out, pain free and almost completely back to normal. Plus, I sure ain't hungry!!!! What a great feeling!!!!

I went to nursing school and you cannot miss alot of days even if you don't feel well you have to go youll regret it later if you don't just do the best you can and youll feel better soon good luck

I felt okay and well enough to be up and around on day 5. Before that I wasn't able to sip down enough calories to get me an abundance of energy so there was a lot of loungin. It was still sore to walk around at that point but bearable.

I had the gas pain in the shoulder that was my biggest enemy.

Good luck and congratulations!!!! You'll be fine and you'll love it!!

nice to hear your stories . I was just banded on 9/20/2005 , I am still sore and I also have the gas pain in my shoulder . my cuts are starting to itch so I guess they are healing . I was told not to lift for a few weeks but I am feeling pretty good . I am not bursting with energy but it I think being on just liquids is not helping . Wish you all the best . Hope to hear some good advice from you all .